UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
calgal17

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby calgal17 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:51 pm

roundabout wrote:Any others in? Anyone received any info? After that e-mail from Dean Schwartz I haven't gotten anything in the mail, and it's been a few weeks now.

I wish...but no. I wish they would at least say no if it's no. How many months can a person keep their hopes up?

waldodanto

Postby waldodanto » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm a UCLA student who is interested in public interest, but who didn't apply to the Epstein program. I gotta say, it's a nice program, and something you might as well do if you know you want to do public interest, but its not that important. There are a ton of opportunities to show your commitment to public interest at UCLA (clinics, journals, etc.), and you can join the Epstein program after 1L year if you really would like to (apparently it's easier at that point, since some people drop out and they take a lot of rising 2Ls).
I wouldn't stress if you don't get admitted to the program as a 0L. A lot of people I know who applied and didn't get it are no longer planning on picking it up as a specialization, for what its worth.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Alright---so anyone heard anything? As far as I can tell, the majority of the decisions have yet to be made.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:21 pm

cougarlive wrote:Alright---so anyone heard anything? As far as I can tell, the majority of the decisions have yet to be made.

Seems to be pretty quiet. According to last year's thread there wasn't much activity until the end of April either...

But it'd be nice to know before then :D

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:18 pm

I know someone who heard that they didn't get in, but that's it. I haven't personally heard anything.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Revised: I'm out.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:13 am

calgal17 wrote:Revised: I'm out.

Sorry to hear that. How did you find out? Email, snail mail?

Out of all the rejections I've gotten (and I've gotten my fair share), Epstein would be the hardest one for me. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

P.S. Had you heard from the reg. admissions? Are you in/rejected or waitlisted?

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:35 am

cougarlive wrote:

Out of all the rejections I've gotten (and I've gotten my fair share), Epstein would be the hardest one for me. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Email. I actually emailed them to ask just so I can know for sure. She said snail mail could take a month to go out. I get the impression that decisions have been made already. It said they had 550 students apply for 25 spots so it's worse than a crap shoot. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I would pretty much assume anyone who hasn't heard is probably not admitted.

For regular admissions I'm waitlisted.

Hope this helps.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 am

calgal17 wrote:
cougarlive wrote:

Email. I actually emailed them to ask just so I can know for sure. She said snail mail could take a month to go out. I get the impression that decisions have been made already. It said they had 550 students apply for 25 spots so it's worse than a crap shoot. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I would pretty much assume anyone who hasn't heard is probably not admitted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I happened to call today to make sure I was on the waitlist (I forgot to send the form), and the person I spoke with at admissions said they were still making decisions on the Epstein Program. Though I'm hoping the Program will show me some love, I know its still a pipe dream until I retake the LSAT.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:55 am

cougarlive wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
cougarlive wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I happened to call today to make sure I was on the waitlist (I forgot to send the form), and the person I spoke with at admissions said they were still making decisions on the Epstein Program. Though I'm hoping the Program will show me some love, I know its still a pipe dream until I retake the LSAT.

Well good luck!

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:50 am

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from both UCLA and Epstein? I've been complete since January. The waiting is getting unbearable at this point.

mmmadeli

Postby mmmadeli » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:35 pm

waldodanto wrote:I'm a UCLA student who is interested in public interest, but who didn't apply to the Epstein program. I gotta say, it's a nice program, and something you might as well do if you know you want to do public interest, but its not that important. There are a ton of opportunities to show your commitment to public interest at UCLA (clinics, journals, etc.), and you can join the Epstein program after 1L year if you really would like to (apparently it's easier at that point, since some people drop out and they take a lot of rising 2Ls).
I wouldn't stress if you don't get admitted to the program as a 0L. A lot of people I know who applied and didn't get it are no longer planning on picking it up as a specialization, for what its worth.

I was curious about this! I didn't apply either, but the literature I was sent said that they only accept five applicants after 1L, which seems like hardly any. I'm going to visit the campus in a few weeks, and I'm hoping to go talk to them then.

emkayo

Postby emkayo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:01 pm

CAHopeful wrote:Is anyone else still waiting to hear from both UCLA and Epstein? I've been complete since January. The waiting is getting unbearable at this point.

I'm complete since March 3rd; no further communication from UCLA since their email confirmation on the 3rd.

jd/mph prospect

Postby jd/mph prospect » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:37 pm

+1 ucla/epstein applicant. complete back in november and still no word. getting anxious with deposit deadlines coming up.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:39 pm

David Eckstein is a great shortstop. I was disappointed when the Cardinals got rid of him.

Oh wait? Wrong thread.... :D

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:30 pm

For those of us still waiting, did everyone receive an e-mail when your file went complete stating that "we will be making decisions through April?"

I just remembered this and found the message:

Dear _____,

Thank you for applying to UCLA School of Law. We are writing to let you know that your file is complete.

During the next few months we will review thousands of applications. It is difficult for us to predict when you will receive a final decision. We will make decisions through April.

We greatly appreciate your patience during the review process. We know this is a stressful period and we want to assure you that your application will be thoroughly reviewed by our admissions committee.

Kind Regards,
_____

Thoughts? Does this mean we should be hearing within the next few days, or does being an Epstein candidate prolong the process?

RickyMack

Postby RickyMack » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:34 am

i got dinged, the letter said they had 25 seats and 450 applicants to the program.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:43 am

RickyMack wrote:i got dinged, the letter said they had 25 seats and 450 applicants to the program.

Sorry to hear that. When and how did you find out?

RickyMack

Postby RickyMack » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:55 am

cougarlive wrote:Sorry to hear that. When and how did you find out?

came with my UCLA ding letter which arrived via snail mail today. thanks for the condolences, UCLA itself was a reach for me so i wasn't too surprised, hopefully someone here is among the lucky 25! unless they were really more and were just saying there were 25.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:24 am

RickyMack wrote:
cougarlive wrote:Sorry to hear that. When and how did you find out?

came with my UCLA ding letter which arrived via snail mail today. thanks for the condolences, UCLA itself was a reach for me so i wasn't too surprised, hopefully someone here is among the lucky 25! unless they were really more and were just saying there were 25.

If it makes you feel any better, there really are only 25 spots. Last year they accepted 40-50 to fill the 25 spots. I wouldn't be surprised if this year they accepted closer to 30-40 to fill those same spots.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Thu May 13, 2010 11:59 pm

Has anyone else heard anything? I haven't heard a peep from the Program and it's May 13th.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”