UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roundabout

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby roundabout » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm

cougarlive wrote:Just found a thread from last years cycle 2008-09. Looks like people didn't really start hearing back until March/April. Looks like most of us still have a ways to go before we hear back.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50558

This is useful- cheers!

emkayo

Postby emkayo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Any other returned Peace Corps Volunteers apply to the Epstein program? I just completed 2 years and hope that and my non-profit background make me competitive for UCLA.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:23 am

Has anyone heard back yet?

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:39 am

Nothing here since going complete Jan. 25. Anyone else?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Not really expecting much movement from Epstein until end of March... :( Sometimes I forget I even applied :lol:

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm still waiting to hear too (been complete since 11/4).

I did however, get a private message a few weeks back from someone who wished to remain anonymous that said they had gotten into the Program...so there is the possibility that a few people have been notified.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:39 am

So at this point I'm assuming that UCLA is waiting to see if I get into Epstein before they reject me. Do you think that's an accurate assumption? I would think they would have just waitlisted me, but this is perplexing unless they really just want to reject me but would be embarrassed if I was then admitted to Epstein. I complete early December btw. Thoughts?

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 pm

calgal17 wrote:So at this point I'm assuming that UCLA is waiting to see if I get into Epstein before they reject me. Do you think that's an accurate assumption? I would think they would have just waitlisted me, but this is perplexing unless they really just want to reject me but would be embarrassed if I was then admitted to Epstein. I complete early December btw. Thoughts?

Sorta, I just think its a whole different ball game when it comes to Epstein Applicants. It seems that regardless of when we submit (I've been complete since EARLY nov), they don't start reviewing Epstein applicants till March--save the minuscule percentage of people who get accepted before then.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:20 pm

cougarlive wrote:
calgal17 wrote:So at this point I'm assuming that UCLA is waiting to see if I get into Epstein before they reject me. Do you think that's an accurate assumption? I would think they would have just waitlisted me, but this is perplexing unless they really just want to reject me but would be embarrassed if I was then admitted to Epstein. I complete early December btw. Thoughts?

Sorta, I just think its a whole different ball game when it comes to Epstein Applicants. It seems that regardless of when we submit (I've been complete since EARLY nov), they don't start reviewing Epstein applicants till March--save the minuscule percentage of people who get accepted before then.

Hmmm, I guess we'll just wait and see then. Such an odd process. So I assume we probably won't hear until after other deposit deadlines?

amichig

Postby amichig » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:23 pm

What do we think is the rationale for waiting to review Epstein applicants in March? I, too, have been complete since EARLY November and had originally received an email stating they planned to have a decision to me by the end of February, at the latest. That date has clearly passed and not a peep. I can't imagine at this rate I'll have a decision/scholly info by mid-April when deposits are due at other schools.

UCLA: help a girl out!...I simply can't afford more than one deposit. Let me know!

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Bump- I'm in! Via e-mail Friday. Super excited.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:04 pm

roundabout wrote:Bump- I'm in! Via e-mail Friday. Super excited.

Congrats!

For those who didn't see in the UCLA thread, I was an Epstein applicant who was WL'ed a few weeks ago.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Congrats! What did the email say? Was it from regular admissions, or from the Program? Just curious. Here's to hoping we all hear something soon...

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:08 pm

beef wellington wrote:

Congrats!

For those who didn't see in the UCLA thread, I was an Epstein applicant who was WL'ed a few weeks ago.

I didn't see that. Do you know if it was the standard applicant wait list, or was it specific to the Epstein program? How do you feel about being wait listed?

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:58 pm

cougarlive wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

Congrats!

I didn't see that. Do you know if it was the standard applicant wait list, or was it specific to the Epstein program? How do you feel about being wait listed?

It was a standard WL that didn't mention the Epstein program. Definitely wasn't a surprise, I figure with my GPA I could've easily been dinged. I don't think I ever had a shot at Epstein as I have little-to-no experience with PI even though it's what I want to do for a career.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:20 pm

beef wellington wrote:It was a standard WL that didn't mention the Epstein program. Definitely wasn't a surprise, I figure with my GPA I could've easily been dinged. I don't think I ever had a shot at Epstein as I have little-to-no experience with PI even though it's what I want to do for a career.

+1. I really tried to show them my public interest..interest in both the Epstein-specific and general UCLA personal statements, since I don't have much experience in the PI area. I'm a WLer as well. Reeeeeeally hoping to hear soon!

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Joined the UCLA waitlist today. Still waiting to hear about Epstein...

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:34 pm

calgal17 wrote:Joined the UCLA waitlist today. Still waiting to hear about Epstein...

Samsies. Wait listed, again. So, do any of you think that it is possible that those of us who applied to the Epstein Program and were wait listed could still be under consideration for the Epstein Program? I'd love to think that there is still a chance I'll be getting a call in a week or two from the Epstein Program telling me I'm in...on second thought, I'd take an email if that's more convenient for them. :D

Funny thing is, I sent them a LOCI about 4 hours before I got the wait list email. Anyway, I might be making the trip down to visit.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:57 am

cougarlive wrote:
calgal17 wrote:Joined the UCLA waitlist today. Still waiting to hear about Epstein...

Samsies. Wait listed, again. So, do any of you think that it is possible that those of us who applied to the Epstein Program and were wait listed could still be under consideration for the Epstein Program? I'd love to think that there is still a chance I'll be getting a call in a week or two from the Epstein Program telling me I'm in...on second thought, I'd take an email if that's more convenient for them. :D

Funny thing is, I sent them a LOCI about 4 hours before I got the wait list email. Anyway, I might be making the trip down to visit.

I think it's definitely possible. But what do I know? I'm just a hopeful 0L too. :D

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:53 am

cougarlive wrote:

Congrats! What did the email say? Was it from regular admissions, or from the Program? Just curious. Here's to hoping we all hear something soon...

Sorry, should have clarified. So I was admitted via a call to my family in the States asking where my packet should be sent at the very end of February (I live abroad). I got an email with info for admitted students on 3/1 and the mailed stuff shortly after that. In my admissions letter, it acknowledged that I'd applied to Epstein and said a decision on that was forthcoming. Then on 3/19 I got an email about the program from Dean Scwartz- no info, just a notification that said I was in and I should expect more in the mail soon. My mail is pretty slow, but I will post again when I get the packet.

FWIW, based on what others have said in this thread and elsewhere about Epstein, I think the waitlist could be affected by an Epstein decision. Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that if Epstein wants you, they can probably pull you off the waitlist, or at least help. If I was deciding between someone who'd taken the time to write a four-page essay about public interest and someone who hadn't, I know who I'd pick.

Good luck to those waiting!

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 am

roundabout wrote:
cougarlive wrote:

Sorry, should have clarified. So I was admitted via a call to my family in the States asking where my packet should be sent at the very end of February (I live abroad). I got an email with info for admitted students on 3/1 and the mailed stuff shortly after that. In my admissions letter, it acknowledged that I'd applied to Epstein and said a decision on that was forthcoming. Then on 3/19 I got an email about the program from Dean Scwartz- no info, just a notification that said I was in and I should expect more in the mail soon. My mail is pretty slow, but I will post again when I get the packet.

FWIW, based on what others have said in this thread and elsewhere about Epstein, I think the waitlist could be affected by an Epstein decision. Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that if Epstein wants you, they can probably pull you off the waitlist, or at least help. If I was deciding between someone who'd taken the time to write a four-page essay about public interest and someone who hadn't, I know who I'd pick.

Good luck to those waiting!

Good point on the bolded. I guess we will know for sure in the next month or so, well, as for sure as we can know anything about how the Epstein Program makes decisions anyway.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:14 pm

Hm, no word yet? We should be hearing mass decisions at any time now..

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:35 am

msch0i wrote:Hm, no word yet? We should be hearing mass decisions at any time now..

No word. This seems like the most mysterious process of all law school admissions! There is no transparency whatsoever.

tru

Postby tru » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 am

Any others in? Anyone received any info? After that e-mail from Dean Schwartz I haven't gotten anything in the mail, and it's been a few weeks now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”