Disclosure requirements -- Vary by school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DukeHopeful

Bronze

Disclosure requirements -- Vary by school?

Post by DukeHopeful » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:17 am

Ok, so some schools that I'm applying to ask specifically if you have ever been charged with a crime other than minor traffic violations, while some ask only if you have ever been convicted. To me, it seems like dropped charges are unnecessary for the latter question, where it never even went to court. I have read where many have said though that not disclosing can hurt for the bar C&F. It's not really dishonest to not disclose information that isn't asked for, right?

sarlis

Silver

Re: Disclosure requirements -- Vary by school?

Post by sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:20 am

DukeHopeful wrote:Ok, so some schools that I'm applying to ask specifically if you have ever been charged with a crime other than minor traffic violations, while some ask only if you have ever been convicted. To me, it seems like dropped charges are unnecessary for the latter question, where it never even went to court. I have read where many have said though that not disclosing can hurt for the bar C&F. It's not really dishonest to not disclose information that isn't asked for, right?
The response I got when posting a similar C&F question was that you can always call the schools anonymously and ask.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:22 am

sarlis wrote:
DukeHopeful wrote:Ok, so some schools that I'm applying to ask specifically if you have ever been charged with a crime other than minor traffic violations, while some ask only if you have ever been convicted. To me, it seems like dropped charges are unnecessary for the latter question, where it never even went to court. I have read where many have said though that not disclosing can hurt for the bar C&F. It's not really dishonest to not disclose information that isn't asked for, right?
The response I got when posting a similar C&F question was that you can always call the schools anonymously and ask.
+1

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:23 am

I will add that to my to-do list for tomorrow then. :) Thanks

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:39 am

We are just about to the point here where we need a separate forum for C&F freakout threads: there's like 4 new ones a day now.

Can anyone out there provide some sort of concrete evidence of an applicant who was denied admission to the bar of any state due to failing to disclose a traffic citation or whatever on his or her law school application as the result of a reasonable belief that such information was not required? Anecdotal evidence won't cut it, nor will the usual conclusory TLS post with no support: I'd love to see a reported case, Bar Examiner's Board Hearing decision, or Bar Association Opinion Letter that provides an example of someone who was denied admission to the bar simply because they, without ill-intent, omitted a traffic citation from their law school application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”