PLEASE WITHDRAW FROM SCHOOLS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ATTEND

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sarlis

Re: PLEASE WITHDRAW FROM SCHOOLS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ATTEND

Postby sarlis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
superserial wrote:I don't think this thread is going to change anyone's mind about withdrawing early.

Wrong. I was about to withdraw from a bunch of schools, but I decided to stay in just to screw with the OP.

the drawback of a title in bold!

blatant anti-bolding trolling

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:56 pm

i tried to limit the number of schools i applied to...and after my #1 choice acceptance, a few schools i was preparing to send apps out to, i didnt (since i wouldnt go to them anyways, as neat as getting acceptances from them would be).

ive only applied to 4 schools, and every single one of them was for a good reason: im waiting for my SO's grad school results :)

id withdraw asap after that

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:59 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:I withdrew from some schools I have yet to hear back from that I'd probably get near full-rides from but I'd never attend considering my current acceptances: BU, IUB, Vanderbilt, Iowa.

Thanks.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:59 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:i tried to limit the number of schools i applied to...and after my #1 choice acceptance, a few schools i was preparing to send apps out to, i didnt (since i wouldnt go to them anyways, as neat as getting acceptances from them would be).

ive only applied to 4 schools, and every single one of them was for a good reason: im waiting for my SO's grad school results :)

id withdraw asap after that

Helps when you have those beastly stats :)

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 pm

After getting into my top two choices, I decided not to apply to YLS after all because I knew I'd just be taking a seat from someone who wanted it more.

Several seats, actually. Because Yale would have given me several.

sckon

Postby sckon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:20 pm

echoi wrote:It's just capitalized letters. Fucking chill.

--ImageRemoved--

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm

OP quit whining. When a person pays the application fee (or has it waived), he or she has the full right to decide on schools and has as long as he/she wants. Are some people ridiculous in blanketing TTT to increase an offer at T2 or blanketing top 50 to get money at T14? Probably. And yes, it sucks, but it's part of this game. That's what the whole concept of wait list and yield protect are for.

I understand the frustration, but there's nothing you can do. This is my second cycle and I had to learn things the hard way last year but life goes on.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Just withdrew from the UCLA waitlist.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:03 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:OP quit whining. When a person pays the application fee (or has it waived), he or she has the full right to decide on schools and has as long as he/she wants. Are some people ridiculous in blanketing TTT to increase an offer at T2 or blanketing top 50 to get money at T14? Probably. And yes, it sucks, but it's part of this game. That's what the whole concept of wait list and yield protect are for.

I understand the frustration, but there's nothing you can do. This is my second cycle and I had to learn things the hard way last year but life goes on.

Yes, you're correct in that people have the "right" to see out their cycle, but I was referring to people that have no intention of attending a certain school anymore or using it as leverage, yet still refuse to withdraw. Do you think if some people had withdrawn from schools you were waitlisted or denied last year, your cycle would have turned out more favorable? I would argue yes, and I believe I am doing something about it for this cycle. I think making people aware that they affect people's futures because they are too apathetic to withdraw is a start. People obviously have reasons for applying to certain schools, but that reasoning changes throughout the cycle as they may get into a reach or get offered money to another. All I am saying is, that as those peoples' cycles change and they become aware they would no longer accept an acceptance from a certain school, to withdraw.

Let me ask you this. If you met someone on the street that took your spot to one of your top choices last cycle who ended up not attending but said they didn't withdraw because they had the "right" and wanted to brag about it, and then, on top of that, told you to get over it and quit whining and that you can go through the application process all over again next cycle...what would you say to that person?

Halibut6 wrote:Just withdrew from the UCLA waitlist.

thanks

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:08 pm

OP, I'll be the first to say that I appreciate you speaking up for us stragglers! :lol:
:oops:

angioletto

Postby angioletto » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Doodsmack wrote:How about we all stop saying "scholly" because it's an annoying word. Just say scholarship.

Agreed. The use of the word "scholly" is one of my pet peeves. For those that use it here do you also say "scholly" when talking to someone? If so, that's weird.

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:16 pm

angioletto wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:How about we all stop saying "scholly" because it's an annoying word. Just say scholarship.

Agreed. The use of the word "scholly" is one of my pet peeves. For those that use it here do you also say "scholly" when talking to someone? If so, that's weird.

yes. we also use IRL, IBTL, TITCR, FTW, troll, flame, etc.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 pm

superserial wrote:
angioletto wrote:

yes. we also use IRL, IBTL, TITCR, FTW, troll, flame, etc.

i definitely say "lawl" irl, no joke

sometimes roflcopter too :P

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 pm

All this talk about leverage has got me wondering:
does it work to sort of cascade scholarship, kinda little trickle-up economics? so i applied to all t14 schools, but should i apply to like a 20th ranked school in hope a bigass scholarship, and then use that to get a better scholarship at like a #13 or 14, and in turn use that at 8 or 9, and so on up until my highest ranked acceptance?

That could, in theory, work...right?

i'm sure that this is discussed endlessly somewhere on TLS, so if it is, please link me to it. until then, i'll just live in my bubble and feel like i just invented the lightbulb.
Last edited by joshhoward on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Last cylce, I was pretty much committed to NU, but was still on a # of WL going down the wire. I figured that b/c I paid my $70 - $100 application fee, I wanted to find out whether or not I would have been admitted.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:32 pm

I will withdraw from Penn if I finish going through their 6,000 page faculty booklet and don't find a professor I want to write my scholarship essay about.

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm

several of my withdrawals didn't even work because of administrative fail.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:37 pm

predetermined wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:OP quit whining. When a person pays the application fee (or has it waived), he or she has the full right to decide on schools and has as long as he/she wants.

Not taking a stance on the withdrawl issue one way or another, but for future reference: pointing out that someone has a right to do something is not the same as providing a justification for doing it. It's perfectly reasonable to ask someone to not do something that they have a right to do.

but it does establish that what someone is doing isn't outside the bounds of acceptable conduct, which is important in this context.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:10 pm

kingabraham3 wrote:All this talk about leverage has got me wondering:
does it work to sort of cascade scholarship, kinda little trickle-up economics? so i applied to all t14 schools, but should i apply to like a 20th ranked school in hope a bigass scholarship, and then use that to get a better scholarship at like a #13 or 14, and in turn use that at 8 or 9, and so on up until my highest ranked acceptance?

Thank could, in theory, work...right?

i'm sure that this is discussed endlessly somewhere on TLS, so if it is, please link me to it. until then, i'll just live in my bubble and feel like i just invented the lightbulb.

lol.. pretty sure this wouldnt work unless you got an equally huge scholarship at #13 or 14, but brilliant thought nonetheless

bees

Postby bees » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:After getting into my top two choices, I decided not to apply to YLS after all because I knew I'd just be taking a seat from someone who wanted it more.

Several seats, actually. Because Yale would have given me several.

Fat-ass. :)

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:29 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:All this talk about leverage has got me wondering:

Thank could, in theory, work...right?

lol.. pretty sure this wouldnt work unless you got an equally huge scholarship at #13 or 14, but brilliant thought nonetheless

i can't see how it would hurt though. i think tomorrow i will apply to a couple schools that i know i will never attend and hold onto a seat for a month or two just so i can possibly grab a few extra grand in scholarship money. i still don't believe there isn't a thread somewhere. i can't figure out what search terms to use...trickle-up didn't work lol.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:34 pm

b.gump81 wrote:Yes, you're correct in that people have the "right" to see out their cycle, but I was referring to people that have no intention of attending a certain school anymore or using it as leverage, yet still refuse to withdraw.

I agree that some people have no intention of attending a certain school or using it as leverage, but for the most part, people don't disclose their intentions or motivations. And I'd rather not cast a value judgment on these motivations with limited information. Each person has a different reason for applying to any given school. I understand the frustration of not obtaining the desired outcome in applying to a certain school--I have been rejected by plenty of schools, but just because I see someone on LSN who has gotten into Harvard and Penn State doesn't mean I feel the need to get that person to withdraw from PSU so I have a better chance of getting in.

b.gump81 wrote:Do you think if some people had withdrawn from schools you were waitlisted or denied last year, your cycle would have turned out more favorable? I would argue yes, and I believe I am doing something about it for this cycle. I think making people aware that they affect people's futures because they are too apathetic to withdraw is a start. People obviously have reasons for applying to certain schools, but that reasoning changes throughout the cycle as they may get into a reach or get offered money to another. All I am saying is, that as those peoples' cycles change and they become aware they would no longer accept an acceptance from a certain school, to withdraw.

Yes it would have changed drastically. More favorable? Who knows, but I didn't sit around on my computer wasting time and energy being mad at other 0Ls for not withdrawing at certain schools. You believe that you're affecting people's futures by writing on an internet forum, good for you. But instead of worrying about other people, I decided to retake the LSAT, get WE, and boost my resume. Maybe it's just being being a cynic or an asshole. I understand that my cycle is contingent upon other people's decisions and actions, but I think that most other people's actions are out of my control and I don't waste time trying to change that.

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:38 pm

on a utilitarian philosophy, if not withdrawing presents no or little benefit to oneself and could present significant benefit to another, regardless of one's "legal right" one would be morally obligated to withdraw.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:42 pm

kingabraham3 wrote:on a utilitarian philosophy, if not withdrawing presents no or little benefit to oneself and could present significant benefit to another, regardless of one's "legal right" one would be morally obligated to withdraw.

I like it, it's the 0L equivalent of efficient breach.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:47 pm

I know this is a dumb question, but what's the proper way to withdraw an application? Will a simple e-mail to the admissions office suffice or is there typically a more formal process?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”