PLEASE WITHDRAW FROM SCHOOLS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ATTEND

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
b.gump81

PLEASE WITHDRAW FROM SCHOOLS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ATTEND

Postby b.gump81 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:19 pm

This year's cycle has seen a significant increase in applications per individual applicant, obviously meaning that people will be holding spots at multiple schools. Therefore, I am starting this discussion in the hopes that it will remind/push people to start withdrawing from schools they do not plan on attending. Thus, opening spots for us still waiting.

So please, if you have been accepted to a school you would attend over others, withdraw from the schools you would likely not attend so that us less fortunate can have your spot.

kittenmittons

Re: PLEASE WITHDRAW FROM SCHOOLS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ATTEND

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Sorry, waiting for scholarship leverage.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm

edited: truth is, i subscribe to the notion of holding for scholly leverage. sorry.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:26 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Sorry, waiting for scholarship leverage.

credited

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:34 pm

talibkweli wrote:i find the fact that you used all caps for the thread title so obnoxious that i will be holding on to each of my acceptances until the last possible second just because of it. hope that helps.

:roll:

Caps or not, OP makes a great point.

Scholarship leverage is one thing that I can understand...but it is quite frustrating watching some applicants treat their cycles like a belt-notch-collecting process. Obviously, everyone has the right to wait until the last day to make their decisions AND to leverage scholarship money whenever possible...but, plain and simple, the sooner you withdraw from a school you KNOW you will not attend or use as a bargaining chip, the sooner you open up opportunities for other legitimately interested applicants. At risk of sounding dramatic, I'll state the obvious: peoples' lives and futures are in the balance here.

EDIT: I withdrew from 3 schools today. Let's keep this thread bumped consistently to remind folks to think about their acceptances critically.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:34 pm

i agree with this thread, but it seems that the only way to make people withdraw is to constantly remind everyone to do so. are we just supposed to keep bumping this?

MTal

Postby MTal » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:35 pm

Nope, not going to.

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:35 pm

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:36 pm

agreed, im just waiting for some big money from a safety and then I'll withdraw from the other safties

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:36 pm

b.gump81 wrote:This year's cycle has seen a significant increase in applications per individual applicant, obviously meaning that people will be holding spots at multiple schools. Therefore, I am starting this discussion in the hopes that it will remind/push people to start withdrawing from schools they do not plan on attending. Thus, opening spots for us still waiting.

So please, if you have been accepted to a school you would attend over others, withdraw from the schools you would likely not attend so that us less fortunate can have your spot.
the spots will be there whether people withdraw now or in may. also double depositing gets sorted out by june, still early enough to allow those being held or on waitlist to get an opened spot before having to make any definitive plans for one school over potential options off waitlists.

aussie3b

Postby aussie3b » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Per your request....I just sent a withdrawal email to U. of Texas

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
talibkweli wrote:i find the fact that you used all caps for the thread title so obnoxious that i will be holding on to each of my acceptances until the last possible second just because of it. hope that helps.

:roll:

Caps or not, OP makes a great point.

Scholarship leverage is one thing that I can understand...but it is quite frustrating watching some applicants treat their cycles like a belt-notch-collecting process. Obviously, everyone has the right to wait until the last day to make their decisions AND to leverage scholarship money whenever possible...but, plain and simple, the sooner you withdraw from a school you KNOW you will not attend or use as a bargaining chip, the sooner you open up opportunities for other legitimately interested applicants. At risk of sounding dramatic, I'll state the obvious: peoples' lives and futures are in the balance here.

i hope you don't think i would actually try and harm other people's prospects just because someone used all caps for a title. i've already begun withdrawing from schools. I doubt this will help much, however.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:38 pm

talibkweli wrote:edited: truth is, i subscribe to the notion of holding for scholly leverage. sorry.

Too bad you deleted your original post.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:39 pm

aussie3b wrote:Per your request....I just sent a withdrawal email to U. of Texas

good for everyone.

starlight007

Postby starlight007 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:40 pm

lol this thread is gold.

fonzerelli

Postby fonzerelli » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Side note:

Maybe a mod can offer us figures on this.... how many current users does TLS have?

I'm trying to determine (roughly) what percentage of all law school applicants this year are on this site.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:48 pm

fonzerelli wrote:Side note:

Maybe a mod can offer us figures on this.... how many current users does TLS have?

I'm trying to determine (roughly) what percentage of all law school applicants this year are on this site.

i would think a very teeny tiny portion of all law school applicants...but for top 14/tier 1 applicants, a significantly greater portion.

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:51 pm

fonzerelli wrote:Side note:

i've been wondering about that also. seems really high though.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:51 pm

rookhawk wrote:I will bet you a $1 that something very, very strange happens this cycle at law schools. I will wager that schools are going to have abnormally small class sizes. Some schools may even call a few people VERY late in the game and ask them to come on down and have a seat...even the very top of tier-14.

WHY?

The world is such an uncertain place that many more people are clutching onto anything they can get in law school acceptances. We don't know what the next six months will bring so we aren't letting go of them until the deposit at our first choice law school is actually cashed. I strongly suspect this phenomenon will result in a very unpredictable spring enrollment confirmation cycle as people bow out of schools they can't afford, relocate due to financial hardships and take a good long look at whether a tier-2 scholly is worth more to them than a tier-1 for full price.

I don't think we're going to see the natural withdrawals we come to expect in the coming thirty days.

This has the makings of a TITCR but ill take a different position. As desperate and cash strapped as people are, they are at least equally desperate to get into these top programs, evident by the surge in applications at all these schools. I genunely don't think there will be a mass trend downward. If anything, seats will lock up quicker and people will claw towards the top, irresponsible debt and all. There is a sense that jobs are scarce and the best or most reliable vehicle towards those jobs are t14 programs. Now, t15+...your guess is as good as mine

booby87

Postby booby87 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Not our fault you didn't score high enough on the LSAT.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Do we need to withdraw? Can't we just not send in a seat deposit? :?

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Scholarship Leverage

and a little bossy for a first post, dontyathink?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Thought I graduated from LS in 08 and an already a practicing lawyer, since the number of apps is through the roof this year, I decided back in September to apply to all 200+ schools on a lark. I will not be withdrawing until the deadline.

Tee Hee.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”