When did you move to law school? When should you move?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
the lantern

When did you move to law school? When should you move?

Postby the lantern » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Just looking at a few schools, it seems many schools start sometime in August, whether it is halfway through the month or closer to the end. For current law students, when did you move? Did you encounter any problems (wish you would have moved in earlier/later?)? To people beginning in the fall, when are you planning on moving in? The school I will be attending starts on August 17. I am currently planning on visiting in March, finding a place to live then (or having a friend who lives in the area find me a place), and completing a move to Boulder in July (hopefully the first week of July so that I have a lot of time to settle in and get to know the area). I am just wondering what others were planning on doing. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

lawrencecis

Re: When did you move to law school? When should you move?

Postby lawrencecis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:26 pm

bump

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:30 pm

I hope to be on site by end of July. No sooner as I want to stay at my job as long as possible.

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:31 pm

How does paying for rent work with respect to loans? In other words, will I receive loan disbursements before class starts so that I can afford an apartment in the area, or do I have to rely on savings until the beginning of the academic year?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:31 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:33 pm

the lantern wrote:Just looking at a few schools, it seems many schools start sometime in August, whether it is halfway through the month or closer to the end. For current law students, when did you move? Did you encounter any problems (wish you would have moved in earlier/later?)? To people beginning in the fall, when are you planning on moving in? The school I will be attending starts on August 17. I am currently planning on visiting in March, finding a place to live then (or having a friend who lives in the area find me a place), and completing a move to Boulder in July (hopefully the first week of July so that I have a lot of time to settle in and get to know the area). I am just wondering what others were planning on doing. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on moving in the first week of July. My current lease ends at the end of June so rather than moving things to storage and moving twice I will move straight to my apt at UVA from CT. I also have a SO and son coming with me so this also affects my decision. It will be nice because I will be settled in far before the school year. I may end up sucking up a month or two of rent as I might not move down right away spending some time with fam or hopefully doing SEO so it depends. I say it all depends on you. I recommend getting in before August however unless you dont own that much stuff. I have a houseful of things to move basically so definitely need the time to make the move less stressful and organized.

ArthurEdens

Postby ArthurEdens » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:34 pm

I'd like about a month before classes start, so probably mid-July.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:34 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:This is something I've been wondering as well. Since I am working full-time, I also have to consider when to quit and give up my salary. I've been thinking of moving very end of July.

If I dont get seo I will probably stays at my current job until ~midjuly.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:35 pm

DoctorNick189 wrote:How does paying for rent work with respect to loans? In other words, will I receive loan disbursements before class starts so that I can afford an apartment in the area, or do I have to rely on savings until the beginning of the academic year?

Also I'm fairly sure you dont get disbursements until the school year starts. Thats how undergrad worked and I imagine grad school to be the same.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:38 pm

ogman05 wrote:
DoctorNick189 wrote:How does paying for rent work with respect to loans? In other words, will I receive loan disbursements before class starts so that I can afford an apartment in the area, or do I have to rely on savings until the beginning of the academic year?

Also I'm fairly sure you dont get disbursements until the school year starts. Thats how undergrad worked and I imagine grad school to be the same.

You could always get a 0 interest credit card, use it to pay your rent/deposit, just make sure you pay it off and close it when you get your money. My GI Bill will pay for my housing, but I plan to be out of pocket at least 4 months (or more) until it kicks in. Hopefully my house has sold by then and I can use that money.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”