mentioning divorce

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dcz222

mentioning divorce

Postby dcz222 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:40 am

I'm contemplating a transfer app, my wife dumped my dumba45 in November, 5 weeks before my first semester law school finals, and left me.. I cried my nuts off and went into therapy, quit attending classes, chopped my balls off, f34ked a giant fish, su24ed my own d245. you know that Andy Samberg song from SNL. Well that was basically life Nov-Dec. I didn't give a da$n about law school or anything related to law school.

Somehow, I hit the grades jackpot and ended up with an A- average. I feel like I ran on one leg and competed against some pretty smart giant fish at this law school I'm in..(top 25, 4th best in the mid-west, Northwestern woot) but I would love to narrate my story to ad comms and be like - hey, wife DUMPED me man, I was drinkin a yoo hoo chocolate milk thing once a day, that's 160 calories, I was depressed, got receipts from the shrink, never showed up to class, relied on this dude's outlines, had shady liaisons on plenty of fish, got a divorce attorney who took away 100% of my insubstantial assets, and I still did well at the Combine yo.

So what say on the divorce-blah-blah-blah on a transfer app.. I'm assuming the same rules apply as 0L yeah?

And yes, I did get an A- in legal writing despite my effort above.

ogman05

Re: mentioning divorce

Postby ogman05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:44 am

So Im assuming you want advice on mentioning the divorce on a transfer application?? Hard to make it through all the fluff. It's possible depending on how it is worded but generally advised against putting relationship in applications. Can become to personal. Write something up. Otherwise it sounds like your grades arent too bad as is. This semester with less stress do a little better and transfer without having to risk sounding like your whining. Get into a better school and be successful. Success will be the best revenge in your case as long as you stop writing like ^^^

dcz222

Postby dcz222 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:49 am

I feel like my grades are especially good in my own peanut head given that I know what I went thru.. it's like running a 4.7 at a 40 yard dash with a sprained ankle.. it ain't spectacular, but it becomes pretty darn good if there's evidence of the sprain

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 am

dcz222 wrote:I'm contemplating a transfer app, my wife dumped my dumba45 in November, 5 weeks before my first semester law school finals, and left me.. I cried my nuts off and went into therapy, quit attending classes, chopped my balls off, f34ked a giant fish, su24ed my own d245. you know that Andy Samberg song from SNL. Well that was basically life Nov-Dec. I didn't give a da$n about law school or anything related to law school.

Somehow, I hit the grades jackpot and ended up with an A- average. I feel like I ran on one leg and competed against some pretty smart giant fish at this law school I'm in..(top 25, 4th best in the mid-west, Northwestern woot) but I would love to narrate my story to ad comms and be like - hey, wife DUMPED me man, I was drinkin a yoo hoo chocolate milk thing once a day, that's 160 calories, I was depressed, got receipts from the shrink, never showed up to class, relied on this dude's outlines, had shady liaisons on plenty of fish, got a divorce attorney who took away 100% of my insubstantial assets, and I still did well at the Combine yo.

So what say on the divorce-blah-blah-blah on a transfer app.. I'm assuming the same rules apply as 0L yeah?

eh... I wouldn't go into too much detail but you could say something like "I am especially proud of my academic accomplishments during my 1L year because I earned these high grades while going through a difficult divorce, which was a source of emotional distress and distraction." etc. Don't talk about your therapist and how much you cried, just make clear that your A- average was achieved while going through divorce proceedings etc. Half the admissions committee is likely divorced so I imagine they won't need to much detail anyways.
And yes, I did get an A- in legal writing despite my effort above

dcz222

Postby dcz222 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 am

LOL @ half the ad comm is divorced.. that made my day

Ayeshabelle

Postby Ayeshabelle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:05 am

lol, most lawyers I have talked to shudder at the thought of divorce proceedings.... it is quite a messy area of law.

The above advice sounds great. You definitely do not want to go into detail about those fish. Good luck with your transfer apps!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:29 am

Are any the schools that you are considering transfering to near where you grew up? If so, you might be able to tell a reasonable story (using the divorce) as to why you want to move back closer to home.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:17 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Are any the schools that you are considering transfering to near where you grew up? If so, you might be able to tell a reasonable story (using the divorce) as to why you want to move back closer to home.

probably a bad idea: I need to transfer so I can be closer to my mommy and daddy because I got dumped... no.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:21 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Are any the schools that you are considering transfering to near where you grew up? If so, you might be able to tell a reasonable story (using the divorce) as to why you want to move back closer to home.

probably a bad idea: I need to transfer so I can be closer to my mommy and daddy because I got dumped... no.

If written well, I don't believe that it will come across as such. Because HYS is out of reach, if transfering to peer schools, OP needs a reason why he wants to transfer here ...

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:27 pm

dumbass fucked sucked dick damn

Just checking.

Oh and OP: grow some fucking balls.

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:30 pm

why are you transferring from northwestern?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 pm

gocubs2010 wrote:why are you transferring from northwestern?

4th ranked mid-western school is either WUSTL, Minnesota, or Indiana depending on what you consider mid-west to be.

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:38 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:

4th ranked mid-western school is either WUSTL, Minnesota, or Indiana depending on what you consider mid-west to be.

well when he mentioned northwestern in the original post i took that to mean he was telling us where he attends school.

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 pm

dcz222 wrote:I'm contemplating a transfer app, my wife dumped my dumba45 in November, 5 weeks before my first semester law school finals, and left me.. I cried my nuts off and went into therapy, quit attending classes, chopped my balls off, f34ked a giant fish, su24ed my own d245. you know that Andy Samberg song from SNL. Well that was basically life Nov-Dec. I didn't give a da$n about law school or anything related to law school.

And yes, I did get an A- in legal writing despite my effort above.

As a 0L, I'll withhold my uninformed opinion as to your question, but I thought you should know that you helped me snap out of a really bad break-up funk. What you went through must have been a lot worse, and you managed to do something amazing in spite of it. You should be proud of that, wherever you end up at law school.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:42 pm

perhaps b/c that are 6 definatively better schools that the OP could attend (especially in light of the fact that OP may be paying sticker at NU) ... I will not go into B + MVP.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=104351

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:12 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

perhaps b/c that are 6 definatively better schools that the OP could attend (especially in light of the fact that OP may be paying sticker at NU) ... I will not go into B + MVP.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=104351

um....ok. i seem to recall asking the op but thanks for the info.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”