Sending SAT score along with addendum.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Sending SAT score along with addendum.

Postby mb88 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:29 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:What, are you kidding. Of course it changes the fact. You're citing the 50th percentile on the assumption that everyone taking the test is actually trying when that is FAR from the truth. A 50th percentile would be around a 1500, which is an average of 500 for every section. The only way to get below a 500 is answer more than half of the questions wrong, which is literally failing the section.

So no, failing a standardized test is not "average." It's abysmal.

The fact that you mention "failing" shows that you have a clear misunderstanding of the purpose, function, and interpretation of standardized tests. You can't fail them. By your reasoning, everyone who scored ~153 on the LSAT "failed" it.

In addition, you've made a very curious logical twist. It borders on mental yoga. Observe:

Gamecubesupreme wrote:You're citing the 50th percentile...

Gamecubesupreme wrote:...which is literally failing the section.

Gamecubesupreme wrote:...failing a standardized test is not "average."

It appears you're claiming that the 50th percentile is not average?

Postby meowmeow » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 am

mb88 wrote:I don't mean to be rude, and I don't mean to be a downer...

But seriously? I really don't think it's a good idea to try and send law schools your crappy SAT scores. Ask yourself this: How does your SAT score, low as it may be, prove that you're bad at standardized tests? It could just as likely mean that you're just not intellectually gifted enough to get good scores, and that's probably how the admissions council is going to view it.

I'm not trying to insinuate that you don't have a problem with standardized tests, but in all honesty, tons of people with low scores try to claim that, and there just isn't any real way to prove it. I think the only way that you could genuinely and effectively make that case is if you had like a 4.0 GPA in Quantum Mechanics from Harvard and scored a 130 on the LSAT. Now that is a disparity that shows bad standardized test taking skills. But frankly, if you're just another liberal arts major with a 3.6 and scored in the 140s/150s on the LSAT, I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're a dime a dozen, and the admissions councils are going to look very negatively at a self-pitying addendum.

Actually, Im pretty sure if you look at the interview of the Dean of Berkely, he says he wants PROOF that you are not a good standardized test taker...look at it on TLS
History of Poor Standardized Tests

TLS: For those who do poorly on the LSAT and have a history of doing poorly on standardized tests, which is not reflective of their potential, should that be discussed in the addendum?

Dean Tom: “Yes, in the addendum. And required is a copy of those SAT or other standardized test scores.”

TLS: Oh, good to know.

Dean Tom: “A lot of people say, hey, I’ve never done well on a standardized test, but look at me anyway, I’ve got a 3.8. I usually don’t believe them unless they can document their SAT score.”

Postby Ragged » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:47 pm

OP, what is your major and GPA?

Postby Ayeshabelle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:58 pm

The addendum may help, but probably not as much as retaking with a higher score. Law schools are probably concerned with their bar passage rates. If they accept too many students who may find it difficult to pass the bar exam, the school may lose prestige as a result.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”