Chances of being granted a deferral

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elliot rosewater

Chances of being granted a deferral

Postby elliot rosewater » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Maybe someone here can help me out with this. From reading law school web sites (all I have to go on), I get the idea that admissions deferrals aren't that common. They all say pretty bluntly that requests are reviewed on a case by case basis, leaving me to believe it's up to the applicant to provide a compelling reason.

My reason is primarily financial. Since graduation, I've been working in public service jobs that are rewarding and provide great life experience but pay barely enough to get by. I've saved no money in that time and have just kept up with my student loans, which I've been able to put in forbearance for some of the time due to my low income. I recently accepted a more professional-ish office job that's not at all stimulating, but has me earning a decent salary with benefits for the first time in my life. I also recently applied to several law schools and have gotten into a couple, waiting on others.

It would be great to be able to work for another year+ and have some money saved up going into law school, but I don't know if schools will consider this a good reason to defer. Since almost all students will have to take on debt, I'm not sure how sympathetic they're going to be. Do I have any chance at getting a deferral? Is it worth it to even ask?

frankjones

Re: Chances of being granted a deferral

Postby frankjones » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Bump. I have the same question, only I'd like to defer to travel.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:20 pm

I don't know if this is the case with all schools, but Michigan's website says that it is harder to get a deferral than an offer of admission. So obviously it is very tough to get one at Michigan, so I get the feeling that most top schools don't want people deferring admission, when there are so many thousands of people who would love to take that spot.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:38 pm

dakatz wrote:I don't know if this is the case with all schools, but Michigan's website says that it is harder to get a deferral than an offer of admission. So obviously it is very tough to get one at Michigan, so I get the feeling that most top schools don't want people deferring admission, when there are so many thousands of people who would love to take that spot.

I have read that some schools tend to grant deferrals because their thinking is that they want a student coming in prepared and feeling prepared. And if you have an amazing job opportunity it can only make you a stronger student and more employable ITE. If you have to go on mission or sabbatical, the schools want to respect that. But I imagine it varies from school to school.

elliot rosewater

Postby elliot rosewater » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:42 pm

dakatz wrote:I don't know if this is the case with all schools, but Michigan's website says that it is harder to get a deferral than an offer of admission. So obviously it is very tough to get one at Michigan, so I get the feeling that most top schools don't want people deferring admission, when there are so many thousands of people who would love to take that spot.

I don't really understand that logic. Someone would still get that space; you'd just be holding a spot for the next year, which in less something dramatic happened, you should still be a solid candidate for.

Really, does anyone know how hard law school deferrals are to obtain?

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 am

According to Cornell's website, they guarantee deferral if request is made before the first deposit deadline.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:50 am

Also something to consider: I know at many schools, any scholarship offer will not be carried over.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”