Fordham full vs Seton Hall 35k?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OperaSoprano

Re: Fordham full vs Seton Hall 35k?

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:38 pm

dresden doll wrote:
ixpresxi wrote:To clarify...I was comparing going to fordham at full price vs. Shu with 35k annually and the only stipulation that I remain in the top 50 percent.

To follow up on another post...does anyone know about the brooklyn law international business law fellowship?

While I have a really hard time recommending anyone to attend Seton Hall, I'd be sorely tempted to take that offer ITE. 50 percent requirement isn't horrific; I managed to stay on the right side of the curve while treating LS like a part time job (i.e. putting less than 30 hours of work per week into it - and that's including class time), and I go to a school that's renowned for competitiveness and intense studying.

That's not to say you should take LS lightly - really, I don't recommend anyone to be as casual as I was - but it is to say that a top 50 percent isn't too high of bar to get over. Were they asking for a top third placement, I'd tell you to say no, thanks. As it is, it's a tough call.

Dresden, darling, you have your grades?

I do have to caution that I have friends who worked very hard who are not above the median, at least so far. Even treating it like a job is not a guarantee, since, by definition, half your class must be below median. I only have one grade back, so anything could happen to me.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
ixpresxi wrote:To clarify...I was comparing going to fordham at full price vs. Shu with 35k annually and the only stipulation that I remain in the top 50 percent.

To follow up on another post...does anyone know about the brooklyn law international business law fellowship?

While I have a really hard time recommending anyone to attend Seton Hall, I'd be sorely tempted to take that offer ITE. 50 percent requirement isn't horrific; I managed to stay on the right side of the curve while treating LS like a part time job (i.e. putting less than 30 hours of work per week into it - and that's including class time), and I go to a school that's renowned for competitiveness and intense studying.

That's not to say you should take LS lightly - really, I don't recommend anyone to be as casual as I was - but it is to say that a top 50 percent isn't too high of bar to get over. Were they asking for a top third placement, I'd tell you to say no, thanks. As it is, it's a tough call.

Dresden, darling, you have your grades?

I do have to caution that I have friends who worked very hard who are not above the median, at least so far. Even treating it like a job is not a guarantee, since, by definition, half your class must be below median. I only have one grade back, so anything could happen to me.

Knowledge of that fact is what keeps me from being too disatisfied. Really, I should just feel grateful I didn't flub it as much as I should have given my overall lack of proper/decent effort.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:13 pm

OP, are you willing to live/work in New Jersey?

ixpresxi

Postby ixpresxi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:25 pm

definitely wouldn't mind living/working in nj at a medium sized firm assuming the work/pay was right.

does anyone know what the nj market is like?

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:04 pm

does anyone know what the nj market is like?

Note: All statistics below can be verified by NALP directory through your own research.

Someone on some other forum posted a list of the 'biglaw (regional branches)/midlaw' firms in NJ. There's something like 15-20 total that do traditional summer associate programs. Of those firms, summer programs vary in size from 1-6 summer associates. With three law schools, NJ probably graduates 600 or so lawyers per year.

Those #s are pretty grim alone. But that's just factoring NJ law school grads. The bigger of those 15-20 firms like Lowenstein will scoop up T14 grads like a Hoover does dust.

Zannie1986

Postby Zannie1986 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:06 pm

anyone know if it's impossible to work in NYC after your first year @ Seton Hall, or if you're restricted to the NJ job market. (i'm interested in pub int tho).

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:13 pm

If you want to practice in NY definitely Fordham for full price.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Neither, this is kind of a bizarre false dichotomy.

Fordham's total cost of attendance is something like 210k, which is unreal considering 2009 OCI was a blood-path (like many T30s). I'm not sure why people continue to site old NJ250 numbers. There is no indication that 2007-2008 biglaw numbers will ever return, as the law market has major systematic problems.

Seton Hall is basically a festering toilet, check out jdunderground and read testimonials by former students.

lawman335

Postby lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:48 am

Whats your stats?u have not mentioned anything...............

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”