Are Applications Public or Private Information?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jlayne

Are Applications Public or Private Information?

Postby jlayne » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:02 am

Do law schools share your applications, and the essays written for them, with anyone who wishes to view them? With other schools? Are they publicly available or part of a private record for the student? I'm just curious.

Or does this depend on each school's policy? Is there a standard?

Thanks!

lawrencecis

Re: Are Applications Public or Private Information?

Postby lawrencecis » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:45 pm

+1

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:19 pm

I can't speak with any authority, but it would shock me if they weren't considered confidential. The Bar will, however, have access to them.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:36 pm

Private, I believe.

fonzerelli

Postby fonzerelli » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Post patriot act, NOTHING is private anymore. (especially anything on the interweb)

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:56 pm

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:08 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:Private per FERPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FERPA

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this apply only to educational records (admissions materials included) for the school(s) at which the student is/was enrolled?

What rights do we have for schools at which we were denied admission or chose not to attend?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Renzo wrote:I can't speak with any authority, but it would shock me if they weren't considered confidential. The Bar will, however, have access to them.

The reason that the bar "has access to them" is they require you to either grant them access or present them with a copy. If you don't do that, they can't see it. It's private.

(At least, this is the way I understand it to be. I'm just a 1L, I may be wrong.)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:14 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Renzo wrote:I can't speak with any authority, but it would shock me if they weren't considered confidential. The Bar will, however, have access to them.

The reason that the bar "has access to them" is they require you to either grant them access or present them with a copy. If you don't do that, they can't see it. It's private.

(At least, this is the way I understand it to be. I'm just a 1L, I may be wrong.)

True. You could always deny them access, and they would likely return the favor.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Renzo wrote:You could always deny them access, and they would likely return the favor.

Haha, yes, exactly.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:53 pm

A lot of politicians keep their info private. People tried to get a hold of John Kerry's Harvard school records and he did not release them until after he ran for president. I remember because Bush had better grades then him. I believe I read this in Michele Malkin's column. she was trying to use it as evidence that Bush was not stupid but she only succeeded in convincing me that Kerry was stupid. There was also attempts to get a hold of Obama's application because some of the birthers thought he may have applied as a Kenyan. He did not release them before the election. (I am not trying to start some 10 page long psycho political arguments, just trying to help answer the question)

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:00 am

Schools have been known to share information. As other posters have alluded, some state bars will review the admission application to the school where you graduated from and potential discrepencies could lead you down a dark path.

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm going to bump this, though, because I still haven't seen anyone address what happens to the admissions materials at schools that you decide not to attend/are rejected from & some brief research on Google hasn't revealed the answer either.

Thanks. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”