Question about new grades

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swiard

Question about new grades

Postby swiard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:18 pm

First time poster.

A school I applied to asked me to submit my fall grades because they require a minimum number of units (90 semester units) to review their applications. I am graduating a year early but to do that I will be taking a a heavier course load this quarter so I didn't have 90 semester units when I sent my transcripts in September. I received my fall grades, and while they weren't bad (A, B+, B) they will lower my LSAC g.p.a.

The school asked me to send my new grades to LSAC so that they could update my report, but if I do that, will all the schools I applied to receive updated reports? I would like to avoid having the other schools see my fall grades/delaying their decision until they receive new reports if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by swiard on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

devilishangelrjp

Re: Question about new grades

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:19 pm

swiard wrote:First time poster, long time lurker.

A school I applied to asked me to submit my fall grades because they require a minimum number of units (90 semester units) to review their applications. I am graduating a year early but to do that I will be taking a a heavier course load this quarter so I didn't have 90 semester units when I sent my transcripts in September. I received my fall grades, and while they weren't bad (A, B+, B) they will lower my LSAC g.p.a.

The school asked me to send my new grades to LSAC so that they could update my report, but if I do that, will all the schools I applied to receive updated reports? I would like to avoid having the other schools see my fall grades/delaying their decision until they receive new reports if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry, but they will all receive it.

swiard

Postby swiard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Bummer

thanks for the reply, any idea if they will postpone reviewing my file until after they receive them? Also, Do you think the school that asked for them would accept transcripts sent directly from my school? Just trying to avoid delaying the process

nyred10

Postby nyred10 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Sending in your grades does not necessarily delay the process. Like the above poster said, your school has to send your transcript to LSAC directly, and LSAC then sends it to all the schools you applied to. The schools don't know ahead of time that your transcript is coming unless they have specifically asked for it or if you have told them that you are sending a new one. So, the school that said you needed to take more credits will be waiting for your transcript to arrive, while the rest will just proceed with your application as usual. Once your transcript arrives there, they will insert it in your file. Obviously you'd rather not send in grades that will lower your LSAC GPA, but those are still decent grades, so I think you will be fine. You could always send in an addendum if there was a reason you did not perform as well as you had in past semesters, but I don't think that is necessary in your situation.

swiard

Postby swiard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Thank you!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”