Transfers to HYS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Transfers to HYS

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:49 pm

I have heard some things about transferring to Yale, how they usually accept people only from T14, or people who almost were admitted the first time. Is this true? Would someone who had absolutely no prayer of admission the first time have a chance at transferring to Yale and these other schools, provided their 1L grades were spectacular?

chadwick218

Silver

Re: Transfers to HYS

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I have heard some things about transferring to Yale, how they usually accept people only from T14, or people who almost were admitted the first time. Is this true? Would someone who had absolutely no prayer of admission the first time have a chance at transferring to Yale and these other schools, provided their 1L grades were spectacular?
Possibly, but you are looking at needing to finish in the top 1-3% from a T14 and you application still needs to be something other than grades alone. Both Yale and Stanford accept very few transfers.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:12 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I have heard some things about transferring to Yale, how they usually accept people only from T14, or people who almost were admitted the first time. Is this true? Would someone who had absolutely no prayer of admission the first time have a chance at transferring to Yale and these other schools, provided their 1L grades were spectacular?
Possibly, but you are looking at needing to finish in the top 1-3% from a T14 and you application still needs to be something other than grades alone. Both Yale and Stanford accept very few transfers.
Stanford took over 20 transfers this year (although this was an unusual year), Harvard takes around 30 on average. Apparently there were transfers to Stanford who were only top 25 percent that came from another top 14. You don't have to be top 1-3 percent to transfer from a top 14 to HS. For Yale you probably do though.

Also that thing about YLS only taking transfers from top 14 schools is nonsense. Every year they take someone from outside of the top 14 (although that person is usually first in their class). There was a poster on here who went from #1 in his class at GMU to Yale as a transfer.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:59 pm

I have a friend who was just accepted to NYU who might want to transfer from there (or Columbia) to Harvard. What 1L grades would he have to get to have a pretty good shot at that? Do LSAT and UG GPA still matter? He has a 3.5 in Physics and a 175.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”