question about parent's career on application... and more

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
emily82

question about parent's career on application... and more

Postby emily82 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:16 am

My mom was an apartment cleaner – like a maid or housekeeper, just not in a house because we live in the city.

We've always said “apartment cleaner” – should I right “domestic worker” or “maid” or “housekeeper” instead? Is “apartment cleaner” an odd phrase? I’m not sure what the politically correct term is.

the fact that I'm thinking about things like this is probably part of the reason I'm applying so late in cycle...

okay, thanks!

And... while I have you here, do you think I can get into Duke with a 170/3.34 this late in the cycle?
I'm an older applicant (28) - with good interesting experience and during college I had a lot going on - I was working, cancer and a murder in my immediate family...

what about Georgetwon/Northwestern/Cornell/Penn? do I have a shot this late in the cycle? any tips?

my likely/safety schools are: Fordham, Temple, GW, BU, BC

oh and I'm canadian. who doesn't love a canadian?

WhiskeyGuy

Re: question about parent's career on application... and more

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Rather than finding a title, I would say "She cleaned apartments." The grittiness of that work could be lost if you said "domestic worker" or "maid."

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Any school that specifically wants to know what your parents did rubs me the wrong way. Especially when it's a school like Duke, you pretty much know what they're getting at.

emily82

Postby emily82 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:20 am

thanks, whiskeyguy, that's what I did.

j.wellington - I hear ya. the first time I saw a parent info section I was a bit startled. I forget what school it was, possibly Fordham, but it went all out, asking for each parents highest degree, what schools they went to, the works. it is what it is. At this point they could ask me to diagram six degrees of separation with a senator and I'd probably just open a new gmail window and start sending emails.

Why the hate on durham? It's great. so pretty and the whole triangle area is really progressive. I used to go there a few times a year for my last job. It was like a little vacation. PLUS living is half the price of new york for five times the space and fresher produce. I've been living in nyc since I'm 13 years old - doing an hour each way commute to high school and college. I am over it. Whatever law school I end up at, I will be walking to class. My pockets aren't deep enough to sustain three years walking distance from Fordham.

I don't think I have any real shot at Duke... I can still dream though

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:25 am

j.wellington wrote:Any school that specifically wants to know what your parents did rubs me the wrong way. Especially when it's a school like Duke, you pretty much know what they're getting at.

I don't think I like what this is implying, and would like to ask - you serious?!

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:40 am

I'd like to think that schools want applicants who had parents that never even dreamed about law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”