Someone help? High school student Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
liberty

New

Someone help? High school student

Post by liberty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:46 am

I'm running a 3.6 UW GPA in high school right now. I have a feeling its going to be a 3.5 by the time I graduate. The lowness of that strikes out any possible chance at any prestigious UG, so I'll probably go to my local state university, the udub (university of Washington). What are my chances of getting into a good law school? What will I have to do? I can never find any good EC? Also I'm terrible at math, will that hurt my chances? I'm a URM so should I go to HBC cause a lot of them recruit there? Thanks

Flanker1067

Silver

Re: Someone help? High school student

Post by Flanker1067 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:43 am

The only thing to do is to agree with the previous response. The only thing you can do now is to keep your grades up freshman year. Most often, a students worst grades occur freshman year because you have alot going on and it is easy to forget school. Do well as a frosh, and after, then when you have a great GPA everything else will come easier.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:44 am

liberty wrote:I'm running a 3.6 UW GPA in high school right now. I have a feeling its going to be a 3.5 by the time I graduate. The lowness of that strikes out any possible chance at any prestigious UG, so I'll probably go to my local state university, the udub (university of Washington). What are my chances of getting into a good law school? What will I have to do? I can never find any good EC? Also I'm terrible at math, will that hurt my chances? I'm a URM so should I go to HBC cause a lot of them recruit there? Thanks
What GPA you get in college is far, far more important than what college you go to or what you major in. Pick something fun to study; in your case, probably something in liberal arts, since you don't like math. If it's a major you're interested in, you're a lot more likely to do well in the classes. I got into a top law school with a film degree, and I've known people who got in with degrees in fashion, marketing, history, art, music... if it gets you a bachelor's degree, and you think you'll do well studying it, do it!

The University of Washington is not a school to be ashamed of. You could do far, far worse than a flagship state school. Find something interesting, keep your grades up, and live wonderfully. You're young, enjoy it! Worry about this stuff four years from now. Just make sure you go to class and get good grades, and we'll help you with the rest when it's time to apply to law schools.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:48 am

Christ. Go to college, get drunk, get laid, get good grades. Then come back and start worrying about this shit.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:48 am

The undergraduate school you attend does not matter for purposes of law school admission, unless you attend a top Ivy, and even then it doesn't make a huge difference. I went to UW undergrad and was admitted to a top ten law school. It does not matter if you are bad at math; many (if not most) people in law school are also bad at math.

There are basically only three things that will have a major impact on your chances at getting into law school, since unlike UW undergrad, law schools don't buy into the "holistic" admissions bullshit. First is your LSAT score. Second is your undergrad GPA. Third is URM status. Just try and get the best GPA you can. Law schools basically don't care what your major is or how hard your classes are, so choose an easy major and take lots of classes from professors who give out lots of 4.0s. Don't worry about the LSAT until the winter and spring before the fall in which you plan to apply to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:49 am

OP is a [homophobic language redacted].

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:50 am

The University of Washington is not a school to be ashamed of.
You are mistaken.
--LinkRemoved--

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:03 am

Oh thank God UG doesn't matter. I was thinking I'd spend the rest of my life as an underpaid and overworked public defense attorney! And what do you mean don't worry! I'm literally drowning in worry! What happens if I get saddled up with one of those professors who insist that the majority of their class gets C's, lest they be accused of grad inflation? How am I supposed to pass the SAT/ACT if I literally still count with my fingers? I can do humanities stuff, but I can't wrap my head around math. Wouldn't I miss out on good opportunities if I go to the UW?

Also, guys, is there any chance they might eradicate affirmative action by the time I apply to LS? They already banned it in my home state, and I'm wondering if they might do that nationally? And does the LSAT have a math portion?

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 am

Also call my a bit paranoid and cynical, but I'm thinking you guys are down playing the significance of the prestige of UG.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:07 am

liberty wrote:Also call my a bit paranoid and cynical, but I'm thinking you guys are down playing the significance of the prestige of UG.
Schools seem to pride themselves on diversity of UG's rather than prestige of the entering class.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:10 am

liberty wrote:Also call my a bit paranoid and cynical, but I'm thinking you guys are down playing the significance of the prestige of UG.
Your UG matter very very little to law schools.

As long as you got the numbers, you can get in at least one T-14.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:10 am

Some states have banned affirmative action; it appears schools in those states are finding ways around that.

Also, odds are that as a lawyer you will end up being overworked and underpaid. It's very few who end up making big bucks, and even the ones that do have to work very, very long hours in order to get there.

Look, just do the best you can in UG. That's all that matters right now. Get the best grades you can, because that'll benefit you whether or not you do still want to go to law school afterward. Then, later on, you can do everything else you need to, like study for the LSAT and find out what your odds of admission are at different schools.

The LSAT has no math portion. You're safe there.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:11 am

All that really matters is LSAT and GPA. A 4.0 with a perfect LSAT will get into Harvard almost every time. They don't care, and UW is a good school anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:12 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
Your UG matter very very little to law schools.

As long as you got the numbers, you can get in at least one T-14.
One t14? You mean all t14.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:17 am

You accept that Harvard Law School is a very prestigious law school, right? I hope so, since it's one of the "holy trinity" or top 3 law schools in the entire country. Well, consider this: At this very moment, there are students from 283 different schools attending Harvard Law! See for yourself:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... grads.html

That's a lot of different UG schools. A lot of them don't sound very prestigious, either; SUNY is the State University of New York, Brooklyn College is a branch of the City University of New York, those are decent but by no means outstanding schools in NY. There's also Texas Tech, which is a respectable but by no means prestigious public school in Texas, West Virginia University, something called the "University of Northern Iowa" (what do they study there? corn?), and so on and so forth. A lot of schools on that list you've never even heard of before.

Oh, and by the way, the University of Washington is on that list. At least one person from UW is going to Harvard right now.
Last edited by vanwinkle on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:18 am

Seriously,

Something I wish I had known in HS when selecting a college

It really doesn't matter, not one bit. As long as you go to a real school (ie: not a technical college or internet program) you can get into any lawschool even harvard or yale, as long as you have a good GPA when you graduate from college or and a corresponding LSAT score.

Go to a state school, get a nice low tuition, have fun.

onetimeonly95

New

Post by onetimeonly95 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:18 am

Go get some buns dude. Its the weekend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:19 am

Nope, you are quite mistaken.

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:21 am

Oh what a relief. I'm going to sign up for African American studies then. :lol:

But if I fail in getting a good GPA/LSAT I'm totally screwed as I can't get a good job with that crappy major.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:23 am

liberty wrote:Oh what a relief. I'm going to sign up for African American studies then. :lol:

But if I fail in getting a good GPA/LSAT I'm totally screwed as I can't get a good job with that crappy major.
Correct. You will be screwed. Lol, but otherwise, take basketweaving from State School and get a 4.0

Although I advise a rigious major in the liberal studies field, Poli-Sci, History, English, etc. because they will prepare you for law school and the LSAT

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:26 am

Go to a school you like, take a major you will enjoy, it will esnure sucess. If you are sure you want to go to law school UG presitge doesn't matter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PhofiB

New

Post by PhofiB » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:33 am

Relax. Focus on your UG admissions right now.
How am I supposed to pass the SAT/ACT if I literally still count with my fingers?
The SAT/ACT should be your business now. You are way to young to be worrying about graduate school choices and decisions you'll have to make 4..5..6+ years from now. The LSAT and law school admissions info can wait, trust me. There is little you can do now to impact what will happen then, so enjoy high school and keep your grades up.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:45 am

liberty wrote:Oh thank God UG doesn't matter. I was thinking I'd spend the rest of my life as an underpaid and overworked public defense attorney! And what do you mean don't worry! I'm literally drowning in worry! What happens if I get saddled up with one of those professors who insist that the majority of their class gets C's, lest they be accused of grad inflation? How am I supposed to pass the SAT/ACT if I literally still count with my fingers? I can do humanities stuff, but I can't wrap my head around math. Wouldn't I miss out on good opportunities if I go to the UW?

Also, guys, is there any chance they might eradicate affirmative action by the time I apply to LS? They already banned it in my home state, and I'm wondering if they might do that nationally? And does the LSAT have a math portion?
I want to agree with everyone here...and suggest that it's not such a bad thing being a public defense attorney as well. :wink:

Pick a major you'll enjoy. Who knows what'll happen in four years? You might decide you don't want to be a lawyer. It's best to have a major in something that hedges your bets in such a case.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:47 am

billyez wrote:
liberty wrote:Oh thank God UG doesn't matter. I was thinking I'd spend the rest of my life as an underpaid and overworked public defense attorney! And what do you mean don't worry! I'm literally drowning in worry! What happens if I get saddled up with one of those professors who insist that the majority of their class gets C's, lest they be accused of grad inflation? How am I supposed to pass the SAT/ACT if I literally still count with my fingers? I can do humanities stuff, but I can't wrap my head around math. Wouldn't I miss out on good opportunities if I go to the UW?

I want to agree with everyone here...and suggest that it's not such a bad thing being a public defense attorney as well. :wink:

Pick a major you'll enjoy. Who knows what'll happen in four years? You might decide you don't want to be a lawyer. It's best to have a major in something that hedges your bets in such a case.
Don't feed the fucking trolls.

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:48 am

MrOrange wrote:
billyez wrote:

Don't feed the fucking trolls.
Who are you? Get lost pal, if you're not going to help me answer my question. You and the other fellow who made the gay comment are the only trolls in here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”