New guy questions: Acceptance v admissions? and $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

New guy questions: Acceptance v admissions? and $$

Postby 2807 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Hello,

Two questions:

I see the stats for the schools on here and many of them say they send out XXXX acceptances, and then have an entering class of only a few hundred. What does that mean? Can someone get accepted but then not get admitted because they waited too long to commit? IS it a foot-race to be the first to be accepted, and then commit to admit?

And, does anyone ever get scholarship money after the first year--when you did not get it the first year? Seems like it is all dependent on the first year entry level status.

Ok, one more: Do all schools have the early decision option? And does that "ED" mean that if you are accepted you absolutely will go there and not even try to attend other schools? Thanks.

Cavalier

Re: New guy questions: Acceptance v admissions? and $$

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm

I see the stats for the schools on here and many of them say they send out XXXX acceptances, and then have an entering class of only a few hundred. What does that mean? Can someone get accepted but then not get admitted because they waited too long to commit? IS it a foot-race to be the first to be accepted, and then commit to admit?

Schools accept a certain amount of people, but only a portion of the accepted students choose to attend. Once you are accepted there is no race involved - you have a deadline on whether or not to choose to enroll at the school. So, if a school accepts 1,000 applicants and has an entering class of 250, it means that only 25% of accepted students chose to attend.

And, does anyone ever get scholarship money after the first year--when you did not get it the first year? Seems like it is all dependent on the first year entry level status.

I don't think so. I have seen topics here from people inquiring to use their prospects of transferring to a higher ranked school as leverage for scholarship money. I have no idea if this would work, but I'm inclined to think it does not.

Ok, one more: Do all schools have the early decision option? And does that "ED" mean that if you are accepted you absolutely will go there and not even try to attend other schools? Thanks.

Only some schools do. Among those, some have a "binding" early decision option, and others have a "non-binding" option. A binding option is an agreement that if you are accepted, you will withdraw your other applicants and attend that school (or not attend law school at all). A non-binding option means you will have a decision on your application earlier, but still have the freedom to choose which school to attend.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:37 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Most people get more than one acceptance and can only attend one school. What happens is that if a school knows they have a 33% attendance rate, and a class of 300 people, they'll send out 900 acceptances. 600 will choose to go elsewhere anyway and 300 will still attend. It doesn't always work quite this well, which is why you will occasionally hear about a school "overenrolling".

It is possible, though not common, to get scholarships after your first year. This is almost entirely dependent on first-year grades and you had better kick ass in order to get scholarship $$$. This money is basically "please stay here instead of transferring" money, and is a sign that the school thinks your grades are good enough to transfer. This should tell you that you actually should be transferring, or at least thinking very long and hard about it, in that case.

There are two early options: EA and ED. EA, or Early Action, is non-binding, which means that while they get a decision to you quickly, it does not require you to attend. ED is Early Decision, and it is binding. If you apply ED to a school, and you get in, you are required to 1) attend that school next year and 2) withdraw all apps to all other schools. There are serious negative repercussions for your legal career if you try to breach this, because it's a legal contract, and it's not considered good to start your legal career out by showing you don't respect the law enough to obey a legal contract you signed.

For instance, you can apply to Cornell EA, get an answer before Christmas, and still decide to go elsewhere. But if you apply to Chicago ED, and you get into Chicago, you'd better tell everybody you're going to Chicago, including the other schools you've applied to.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Haha, do none of us UVA kids have anything better to do? :lol:

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2807 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks a lot folks. Very helpful.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:21 pm

thesealocust wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Haha, do none of us UVA kids have anything better to do? :lol:

:oops:

I'm doing plenty! I'm refreshing SIS for grades, LawWeb for course evals, and TLS for announcements of grades and course evals! (FML)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”