Columbia App Held for Feb Score Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cognoscenti

New

Columbia App Held for Feb Score

Post by Cognoscenti » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Columbia is holding my app for the results of my Feb LSAT as per my request. I was originally taking the test (which will be my 3rd try) to get out of some WL and deferred situations but thought, what the heck, let's have my reach/dream school (Columbia) consider the score too. With a 3.4/167, it's not like I would've gotten in anyway.

Like admissions office warned me, my late score will undoubtedly be a huge disadvantage. Really, I am just shooting for a spot on their reserve list. But what score will I need to acheive that and is it even possible given my GPA?

Thank you in advance!

GeePee

Silver

Re: Columbia App Held for Feb Score

Post by GeePee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Cognoscenti wrote:Columbia is holding my app for the results of my Feb LSAT as per my request. I was originally taking the test (which will be my 3rd try) to get out of some WL and deferred situations but thought, what the heck, let's have my reach/dream school (Columbia) consider the score too. With a 3.4/167, it's not like I would've gotten in anyway.

Like admissions office warned me, my late score will undoubtedly be a huge disadvantage. Really, I am just shooting for a spot on their reserve list. But what score will I need to acheive that and is it even possible given my GPA?

Thank you in advance!
You'd need a 173 to even have >0% chance, IMO. Probably a 175+ to give yourself even close to 50/50.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 pm

GeePee wrote:
Cognoscenti wrote:Columbia is holding my app for the results of my Feb LSAT as per my request. I was originally taking the test (which will be my 3rd try) to get out of some WL and deferred situations but thought, what the heck, let's have my reach/dream school (Columbia) consider the score too. With a 3.4/167, it's not like I would've gotten in anyway.

Thank you in advance!
You'd need a 173 to even have >0% chance, IMO. Probably a 175+ to give yourself even close to 50/50.
would a 175+ really even do it in Feb?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:58 pm

IAFG wrote:would a 175+ really even do it in Feb?
I still gave the OP <50% chance, but it seems possible that no score in February would get him/her in with that GPA.

And re: Averaging, it doesn't seem like it when there's a big jump in LSAT scores.

Cognoscenti

New

Post by Cognoscenti » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:01 pm

I didn't know they average. Pft.
Guess that's a no-go. I wish they had just told me they wouldn't accept my Feb score... Playing with my feelings...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cognoscenti

New

Post by Cognoscenti » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Oh thank you for pointing that out.
So the consensus is 175+ is needed, but maybe/probably won't happen with any score?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Cognoscenti wrote:Oh thank you for pointing that out.
So the consensus is 175+ is needed, but maybe/probably won't happen with any score?
not this cycle

Cognoscenti

New

Post by Cognoscenti » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Hey thanks for the honesty everyone!

texasgirl22

Bronze

Post by texasgirl22 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:24 pm

actually there was someone on LSN last year who re-took in feb and got a 176 and applied to columbia pretty late (like in march) and they straight up accepted him. as did nyu, and chicago waitlisted him then accepted him.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:29 am

Not sure why you are having them hold your application. Even if they reject you, couldn't you come back on March 1st with your 176 (if you pull that off) and say "Hey, take another look?" I know some schools will re-review a rejection if you drop a 10-point LSAT increase on them.

That said, this is Columbia. Don't bet on anything. Just get that 175-180 and cross your fingers. Even if they wind up rejecting you, you could still get $$$ at other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”