New Job- should I inform the schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
No1ustad

New Job- should I inform the schools?

Postby No1ustad » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:24 pm

I just got a fairly decent new job, and was wondering if somehow informing the schools that are holding on to my apps(not yet waitlisted, just completed apps) may help at all? or since it's completed, will it not matter... any advice? I need all the help i can get.. :-s

No1ustad

Re: New Job- should I inform the schools?

Postby No1ustad » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:48 am

bump... anyone?

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:24 am

How good is the job? Is it amazing, or is it similar in prestige to your previous position?

I lean against bothering the school with an addendum UNLESS the job is really fantastic or highlights how awesome you are (ie. just hired as Google's senior patent administrator, etc.).

Your most recent job (especially one you just got) is generally low on the list of things schools look at when deciding to admit you. So like I said, it would have to be something special to justify an addendum/updated resume.

grifter

Postby grifter » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:36 am

existenz wrote:How good is the job? Is it amazing, or is it similar in prestige to your previous position?

I lean against bothering the school with an addendum UNLESS the job is really fantastic or highlights how awesome you are (ie. just hired as Google's senior patent administrator, etc.).

Your most recent job (especially one you just got) is generally low on the list of things schools look at when deciding to admit you. So like I said, it would have to be something special to justify an addendum/updated resume.

This. I was initially confused as to what you were asking with regards to informing schools about your new job; however, it looks like you are wondering if it would better your chances at admission. Simple answer: nay. To be frank, schools don't generally care about average jobs student hold while in sch.

They do tend to weigh work more heavily if infact you have been out of school for a while. But even when they do, they want to get a sense of what you have achieved during your employment and how those you work with perceive you. So I don't see how a job you just got will be of any import to anyone on the admission committee.

Congrats on your job, though! ITE it's more than many can say for themselves. This I know: I got accepted into two T-14 schools last year and was working as a laundry room attendant at the time.

No1ustad

Postby No1ustad » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:34 am

thanks for the advice guys, and the congrats :) it's a pretty decent position, volunteer, but something good to do with my off time. i havent been out of school long, but dont have much experience to back up my apps esp for schools like northwestern. i already had to incl one addendum with my app when it was initially submitted tho..

grifter wrote:
existenz wrote:How good is the job? Is it amazing, or is it similar in prestige to your previous position?

This. I was initially confused as to what you were asking with regards to informing schools about your new job; however, it looks like you are wondering if it would better your chances at admission. Simple answer: nay. To be frank, schools don't generally care about average jobs student hold while in sch.

They do tend to weigh work more heavily if infact you have been out of school for a while. But even when they do, they want to get a sense of what you have achieved during your employment and how those you work with perceive you. So I don't see how a job you just got will be of any import to anyone on the admission committee.

Congrats on your job, though! ITE it's more than many can say for themselves. This I know: I got accepted into two T-14 schools last year and was working as a laundry room attendant at the time.
Last edited by No1ustad on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derrickblagadoush

Postby derrickblagadoush » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:13 am

I disagree. I think it wouldn't hurt to send a brief e-mail to admissions about your new job, what you will be learning that will prepare you for law school (despite the short amount of time you have left between now and next fall), and ideally how the school's particular program would be a great extension to what you will be working on. If you can tailor your e-mail to the school's specific program then you can both show your interest and new qualifications in one shot. I say do it, nothing too long.

BTW
I took the GRE to gain admission to a joint JD/MA. I scored particularly well and sent an e-mail to all my schools to mention my score, my plan to apply to their MA program, and also reiterate my interest in the law school. Some schools sent back perfunctory replies, others wrote back nice personal messages. I don't think I bothered anyone by doing this, and I don't think you would either. I really don't see how it could hurt your chances.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:31 pm

I wouldn't bother sending anything in right now, because honestly if a school is going to reject you, telling them you have a new job isn't going to change their mind, and if they are going to accept you then great you obviously don't need a boost.

However, if you are waitlisted anywhere, then I would absolutely update them with this information. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”