I don't know anything about law school admissions...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jujubeans

I don't know anything about law school admissions...

Postby jujubeans » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi, I had been in college with the intention to go to medical school, but I'm starting to think that law might be a better fit for me. I know that the two paths to admission are very different, so I had a few questions.

1) I've done all the premed prerequisites. When law schools see this, will it give them a negative impression?

2) I have a lot of premed extracurricular activities (a lot of clinical stuff). Do law schools typically want their applicants to have law related extracurriculars, or is it just numbers that matter?

3) Do schools not like it when applicants graduate early, as is the case for medical schools?

4) Do advanced degrees make a big difference?

Thank you!

sibley

Re: I don't know anything about law school admissions...

Postby sibley » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:13 pm

1) It's a positive. Diversity is good.

2) If you write your personal statement on how the premed activities influenced your decision to go to law school (eg... mph interests) it'll be a big perk.

3) No idea

4) They help... diversity again.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:17 pm

1) I really don't think this should pose any problem.

2) It's basically a numbers game. It will probably only help you that you weren't a polisci major who interned at a law firm for diversity's sake.

3) Not sure, but I have heard they don't particularly care for young applicants (as in under 21/22).

4) Only as a "soft" factor. Your UGPA is the only one that really matters to adcomms.

Good luck, and welcome to TLS! I hope you find it as helpful as I have.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:22 pm

LSAT and GPA are what really matters. The only other big game changer may be your race. For the top 6 your undergrad may matter.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 pm

jujubeans wrote:Hi, I had been in college with the intention to go to medical school, but I'm starting to think that law might be a better fit for me. I know that the two paths to admission are very different, so I had a few questions.

1) I've done all the premed prerequisites. When law schools see this, will it give them a negative impression?

2) I have a lot of premed extracurricular activities (a lot of clinical stuff). Do law schools typically want their applicants to have law related extracurriculars, or is it just numbers that matter?

3) Do schools not like it when applicants graduate early, as is the case for medical schools?

4) Do advanced degrees make a big difference?

Thank you!

1.) Your unusual courseload won't disadvantage you, it may actually help you stand out from the pack of soft science applicants.

2.) As long as the extracurriculars are consistent, you're fine.

3.) No impact either way there.

4.) These may add a slight boost depending on the school that you're applying to.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”