caught for fake id???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jchouu

caught for fake id???

Postby Jchouu » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:18 am

I got a ticket for using a fake id to buy alcohol in college. disclose it?

thanks.

gahthelaw

Re: caught for fake id???

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:22 am

yes. better safe than sorry.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:30 am

Disclose. I don't have much advice/input on fake identification. Drinking tickets are one thing and usually no big deal as long as you don't have a slew of them, but a fake ID may be a different story if it actually has your picture on it (I believe in some states that is a felony, no?).

knows11

Postby knows11 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:12 pm

I was caught drinking in my dorm room freshman year and then in the end of my junior year I was caught using a fake id. I disclosed both on all my apps and was accepted by six schools including my ED so my cycle is done. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you are honest and don't try to hide anything you should be fine.

tx1987

Postby tx1987 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Jchouu wrote:I got a ticket for using a fake id to buy alcohol in college. disclose it?

thanks.

YES! The last thing you want to do is make it seem like you're hiding it.

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:27 pm

DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY disclose - even if the school you're applying to doesn't find out you got the ticket and didn't disclose - I promise the bar will.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Marisa5252 wrote:DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY disclose - even if the school you're applying to doesn't find out you got the ticket and didn't disclose - I promise the bar will.

And when the bar finds out, then you are in much, much more trouble.

yobama

Postby yobama » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Can the bar find out about disciplinary shit at your school?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:02 pm

yobama wrote:Can the bar find out about disciplinary shit at your school?

Why take a chance? Why not disclose everything up front? If you don't and they do find out, you're screwed.

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30 pm

YES. They call every school you've ever gone to. They will also call all prior employers, do background checks, credit checks - they basically look at EVERYTHING you've ever done or been involved with - and what they really care about is any evidence of dishonesty. They probably won't care about the fake ID but they will care you didn't disclose it.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Jchouu wrote:I got a ticket for using a fake id to buy alcohol in college. disclose it?

thanks.

OP you are ROYALLY SCREWED.

lol just kidding. best you disclose it.

tx1987

Postby tx1987 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:31 am

Marisa5252 wrote:

YES. They call every school you've ever gone to. They will also call all prior employers, do background checks, credit checks - they basically look at EVERYTHING you've ever done or been involved with - and what they really care about is any evidence of dishonesty. They probably won't care about the fake ID but they will care you didn't disclose it.

Credit checks? What if my credit is shot to hell?

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:30 am

I mean I'm not an expert on what gets you rejected for character and fitness. I do know that they are mainly looking for clues that you are habitually dishonest. I would guess that bad credit would definitely not be a big deal. Also, my understanding is that c&f rejections are pretty rare and they are obviously not taken lightly at all.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:13 pm

tx1987 wrote:
Marisa5252 wrote:

Depends why. Most (all?) bar applications ask about delinquient debts and the circumstances. Anything that looks like a deliberate effort to not pay creditors (strategic defaults, dismissed from Chapter 7 for abuse, etc.) is going to cause C&F problems. This is not because you have bad credit. This is because you are being a cheat and the bar does not like cheats.

tx1987

Postby tx1987 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:24 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
tx1987 wrote:
Marisa5252 wrote:

Depends why. Most (all?) bar applications ask about delinquient debts and the circumstances. Anything that looks like a deliberate effort to not pay creditors (strategic defaults, dismissed from Chapter 7 for abuse, etc.) is going to cause C&F problems. This is not because you have bad credit. This is because you are being a cheat and the bar does not like cheats.

Oh ok. Mine is for large medical bills that we have trouble paying.

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:38 am

thanks.

In your disclosure, be sure to highlight the fact that this fake ID was used only to buy alcohol and not other, more felonious, activities. Then be sure to explain how you've matured past this phase of your life.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:50 am

just to be safe, i even disclosed the most minor dorm write ups

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Just a question, though. If some of what you guys are saying is true (like the whole disclosing small stuff [school warnings, dorm write-ups, etc.]), how come some UG deans say that you don't have to disclose that stuff, but rather big stuff like academic dishonesty? At least for myself, my school website says warnings and stuff like that are gone once you graduate, and they specifically say that they need not be disclosed.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:53 pm

For me, anyway, I just wanted to be absolutely safe. It took literally two seconds to type up a dorm infraction, as compared to if I didn't disclose, I could get in serious trouble with the bar, which would not have been worth skipping over a two second addendum.

emsjeep

Postby emsjeep » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Did you get an appearance ticket for a forged instrument or was it some random violation in lieu of the potential felony or misdemeanor? Did you go to court? I would disclose either way but just be sur eof what actually was on the paperwork.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:36 am

devilishangelrjp wrote:Just a question, though. If some of what you guys are saying is true (like the whole disclosing small stuff [school warnings, dorm write-ups, etc.]), how come some UG deans say that you don't have to disclose that stuff, but rather big stuff like academic dishonesty? At least for myself, my school website says warnings and stuff like that are gone once you graduate, and they specifically say that they need not be disclosed.

Sometimes the questions in character and fitness sections specifically say to disclose even if previous discipline was expunged. Case in point: Question 13 at Villanova reads:

"Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action (including probation, suspension, or dismissal but not "detention") by any academic institution (other than elementary or middle school) for any reason? Disclosure is to be made even if disciplinary action has been expunged from the records of the academic institution."

Would that include dorm write-ups? No clue. If I had that situation though, and was faced with a question similar to above, and I had any doubt, I would call the admissions office at that law school and clarify if that sort of thing needs to be disclosed.

It's probably a good idea, like sarlis suggested, to err on the side of caution anyway. You'll cover yourself and it's not like it'll hurt you too much, unless you threw someone out of a window during a dorm party. Defenestration = auto-reject, no? :twisted:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”