Transferring from Brooklyn?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bkthunder

Transferring from Brooklyn?

Postby bkthunder » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 am

I hope I posted this in the right place...

I'm wondering about my chances of transferring out of Brooklyn Law School. My preference would be to stay in NYC (want to work there) but I would not be opposed to going to another school on the East Coast, like GULC. My top transfer choices would be NYU, Columbia, or Fordham...it seems like those schools take a decent number of transfer students.

First semester GPA was 3.95/4.0. No class rank until after spring semester, but because I got an A- in the class worth the fewest credits, only 4.0's could be ahead, so I have to assume I'm in the top 5%.

Undergrad GPA 3.6, LSAT 165

What do you guys think of my chances of transferring to one of these schools?

summerstar

Re: Transferring from Brooklyn?

Postby summerstar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:20 am

Welcome to TLS! The poster you need to talk to is OperaSoprano, a forum mega-star who would love to tell you all about Fordham (and eveything else NYC) and where it sounds like your numbers would jibe.

Curious, why do you want to leave Brooklyn? I decided last minute not to apply there and still wonder if I did the right thing. Feel free to PM me!

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:28 am

keep up those grades and you should be able to get CLS/NYU and great shot at Harvard and decent shot at Yale.

Not to knock on Fordham but with your grades you'd probably do just as well at Brooklyn law as you would transferring to Fordham.

bkthunder

Postby bkthunder » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 am

The main reason for wanting to transfer out is basically just Brooklyn's low rank. Other than that I have nothing at all against the school. Even before I started classes last semester, my goal was to transfer elsewhere if my grades allowed, and now that through first semester I would have a shot at some other schools, I want to try.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:34 pm

by "just as well" I mean getting a job-wise.

You'll get a scholarship if you stay at BLS, might not get one from Fordham though. So my advice is that if you don't get CLS/NYU or whatever T14 east coast school don't transfer to Fordham cause job prospects with your grades will probably be similar.

But to be certain make sure to stop by career services for a list of who is doing OCI with you this fall. And maybe visit Fordham and see if they'll divulge the information.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”