Worth writing an addendum? please respond asap!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
melaniec

Worth writing an addendum? please respond asap!

Postby melaniec » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Hey, I'm hoping to send out my apps tonight, I'm wondering if it's worth writing an addendum for my GPA.
My cumulative GPA is a 3.6, but with great variability per semester/year.
Fresh yr: 3.67
Soph: 3.8
Junior 1st semester: 3.6
Junior 2nd semester: 3.0 with a W (whihc LSAC doesnt count-- but it does show only 12 credits)
Senior yr 1st semester- trancript not yet updated, but i did take 20 credits to compensate for the W, so I could still graduate one semester early.

My junior yr second semester (obv my worst) a friend died of an undiagnosed diabetic condition right before finals... also that was my hardest semester academically... Worth writing an addendum or is the overall GPA paramount? I just want to address the awful junior yr semester.

ariadne86

Re: Worth writing an addendum? please respond asap!

Postby ariadne86 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Don't think it will hurt. My law school adviser says that most schools mean it when they say they are open to receiving information that will help them make a decision. But keep in mind that the 3.0 from that one semester does not bring your grades down that dramatically.

melaniec

Re: Worth writing an addendum? please respond asap!

Postby melaniec » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:56 pm

How does this sound? I don't want to sound whiny, just informative.

I would like to address the disparity in my grades between the spring semester of junior year and the rest of my undergraduate career. That semester, a close friend of mine passed away just before finals, from an undiagnosed diabetic condition. Naturally, the shock of his death greatly impacted me emotionally. Additionally, that spring, I challenged myself by taking difficult courses outside of my major’s department. Both of those factors contributed to a lower GPA. In order to compensate and prove my commitment to my academics, I took 20 credits the following semester (fall 2010), enabling me to graduate early. I hope you take these matters into consideration while evaluating my application.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”