Congrats UChicago Amits, Advice for Applying Next Year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jpSartre

Congrats UChicago Amits, Advice for Applying Next Year?

Postby jpSartre » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:13 pm

By the looks of the Admit forum it looks like Chicago made calls today. Can the people who got in give any advice to a Chicago hopeful for next year's cycle as far as personal statements go, or any general advice on getting in? I plan on applying early binding as close to September first as possible.

Some info about yourselves would be great too, as far as gpa/lsat go, personal statement topic, or anything else you think is relevant to your acceptance

Thanks guys, congrats!

freeflowfox

Re: Congrats UChicago Amits, Advice for Applying Next Year?

Postby freeflowfox » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Be your self, don't use any gimmicks, be honest. (i know this sounds cheesy/too general, but knowing nothing about you this is honestly the most distilled, honest, and probably the most useful piece of wisdom i can offer) APPLY EARLY! Not necessarily ED but EARLY!! Although it seems you've already got that under control.

Through several personal experiences with UChicago's office I find that they are quite "holistic" if that is possible, although my 171/3.69 is right on their median. Anyways, i feel they judged me by my merits and accepted me based on an honest appraisal of what I can bring to their class and what I want out of them, and not simply on numbers and possibility of yield.

I know this not from a feeling alone, several occurrences regarding my Chicago app and their responses to these events really proves this for me.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:21 am

Thank man. That is some very solid advice.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:30 am

Study hard and take an early LSAT (June usually). Gives you leeway to prepare well again and still take the September one for early apps if you don't like your first score.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:38 am

Also for admits - what are your opinions on tailoring your PS to Chicago? It's always been a dream law school for me, and though my numbers will be around the 75th percentiles, I still want to make sure my application is as solid as possible. There are many things I love specifically about Chicago that also tie in to what I've been involved in throughout undergrad. Would it be worth mentioning, or should I just submit a general PS?

Thank you, and a hearty congratulations to you all! :)

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:43 am

I really have no idea what got me in (certainly not my LSAT... 169), but I want to echo the "be yourself" message. UChicago has, at least on TLS, the reputation of being very "intellectual" and "academic" and "theoretical," which, if I'd known when I was applying, would have made me think about tailoring my PS in that direction (both in style and content). Since I didn't know, I sent in my generic 2-page very personal, blunt/non-esoteric, public-interest-oriented PS.

I don't mean don't talk about how you want to go to UChicago and why-- that kind of tailoring is always good-- but don't try to force something just because you think it's what the school wants.

Also, apply early (if you're doing RD, since ED=early as a given). They appear to actually do their RD decisions on a rolling basis but start later than a lot of schools (not till January, unlike other schools that start getting back to you starting in like October), so if you apply on the later side, you'll be waiting for quite a while, I'd imagine.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 am

Oh, for personal statment:

I think what is very useful is to be clear about what you want out of law school, what kind of specific focus you have and how that may relate to Chicago's specialties. The more clear you are about your goals, the more impressive it seems. Just "I want to be a lawyer to save people" is cliched and unhelpful. While "I intend to study administrative, constitutional, and blah blah with particular focus on this and that, due to my interest in this and this" is much more useful, also link these interests to your experiences.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:42 am

freeflowfox wrote:Oh, for personal statment:

I think what is very useful is to be clear about what you want out of law school, what kind of specific focus you have and how that may relate to Chicago's specialties. The more clear you are about your goals, the more impressive it seems. Just "I want to be a lawyer to save people" is cliched and unhelpful. While "I intend to study administrative, constitutional, and blah blah with particular focus on this and that, due to my interest in this and this" is much more useful, also link these interests to your experiences.

I think this (and everything else people have said) is great advice for apps in general.

...but I will add that I was pretty vague in my PS. And did have a generic "save the world" slant. So who knows :lol:

echoi

Postby echoi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:20 am

freeflowfox wrote:Oh, for personal statment:

I actually took a different approach to the personal statement. I didn't talk about my goals or focus at all (mostly because I don't really know at this point). Because the class at UC is so small, I believe the adcomms are more concerned than larger schools about the makeup of their student body by looking for how applicants can contribute to their class, provide a unique perspective, and thrive in an intellectual environment. I tried making all three of those things very clear in my PS and I think it helped.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 am

Agree with above poster, in that state goals if you KNOW your goals, this will be helpful. If not, see my first piece of advice, be honest and open about who you are, truthfulness and sincerity trumps everything.

Illinifan05

Postby Illinifan05 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 am

Hey everyone,

First of all, congrats to everyone who was accepted yesterday! Secondly, I'm sooo nervous- Ann Perry called yesterday but my phone was dead and just got her voicemail this morning. She didn't mention any specifics, but does this call mean I'm in??? I tried calling her back but there was no answer, so I thought I'd ask everyone here.

Thanks

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:32 am

Illinifan05 wrote:Hey everyone,

First of all, congrats to everyone who was accepted yesterday! Secondly, I'm sooo nervous- Ann Perry called yesterday but my phone was dead and just got her voicemail this morning. She didn't mention any specifics, but does this call mean I'm in??? I tried calling her back but there was no answer, so I thought I'd ask everyone here.

Thanks

This probably belongs here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86227

I didn't get a call, but got an email and my status checker reflects being admitted.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:17 am

My Chicago PS was tailored to Chicago, something I only did for a few schools. As others have said, Chicago has a small class size, which means that they have both incentive and ability to be picky about fit among the pool of applicants with reasonable numbers. My weak point was ug gpa, so I focused on doing well in a tough master's program while working full time to show that my not trying so hard at school days were over. I also talked about the use (& misuse) of rational choice scholars I had come across in grad school, and how that exposure fits in with Chicago's law and econ focus. It probably wouldn't hurt you to talk about why you want to be a lawyer, but I don't know that it would be all that helpful. They already know you want to go to law school; what you should be focusing on is why you want to study law at Chicago.

Good luck!

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:37 pm

:lol: My LSAT was below their 25th, and I did not tailor my PS to them or add a "why chicago" or any of that stuff. Mostly because I didn't think I would get in so I didn't bother. Anyways, they must have a somewhat holistic process because I got in. Perhaps because I would balance out their conservative reputation, or because my app showed a lot of interest in intellectual / academic pursuits.

yeah...I don't know...but they seem pretty cool.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”