GWU sticker vs UF $$$ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gwuorbust

Gold

GWU sticker vs UF $$$

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:37 pm

So I have not gotten into GWU yet, but am pretty confident that I will get into the PT program. However, I do not think I will get any $. So, with in-state residence status for FL I could look at only paying 25k per year for UF with COL. vs 55k for four years for GWU.

so, thoughts about the difference? 200k in debt at GWU or 80k-ish at UF?

edit: mods this might be better under: choosing a law school. Sorry!!

avacado111

Bronze

Re: GWU sticker vs UF $$$

Post by avacado111 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:46 pm

uf

law school is 3 years btw.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:47 pm

avacado111 wrote:uf

law school is 3 years btw.
PT @ GWU is 4 years, btw.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:48 pm

OP, where do you want to practice?

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm

I, personally, would not pay sticker for GW.

I also got into UF with $$$, so where do you get $25k/year for COL in Gainesville? Its dirt cheap to live in the swamp. I figured my COL lower. I always was able to live well under the COL budget that my UG estimated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Where do you want to practice? If it's anywhere in Florida/Georgia/Alabama, the answer is UF hands down. If it's anywhere else in the country except for DC, the answer is still probably Florida.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:08 pm

OGR3 wrote:OP, where do you want to practice?
meh, DC probably because I like the city. But I would move almost anywhere that lets me pay off the debt fastest. I do not want to practice law for more than 5-6 years really. Miami would be really nice, but that market is hit-or-miss from what I hear.
beesknees wrote:I, personally, would not pay sticker for GW.

I also got into UF with $$$, so where do you get $25k/year for COL in Gainesville? Its dirt cheap to live in the swamp. I figured my COL lower. I always was able to live well under the COL budget that my UG estimated.
Well I figure 15k for tuition and 10 for COL. If COL is lower than that is even better.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:13 pm

I thought that GW grads have been having trouble in DC, and that they mostly work in VA. :?:

I'd go UF if you don't mind staying in that region. Sticker at GWU would certainly scare me away.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 pm

I attend GW.

1) You're all fucking stupid.

2) You're giving good advice apparently by accident.

OP, if you have to think about scholly/FT at Florida vs. no money/PT at GW, AND you're not absolutely, 100% married to the idea of trying to work in/around DC, I'm not sure you've really thought this "law" thing through.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:32 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
OGR3 wrote:OP, where do you want to practice?
meh, DC probably because I like the city. But I would move almost anywhere that lets me pay off the debt fastest. I do not want to practice law for more than 5-6 years really. Miami would be really nice, but that market is hit-or-miss from what I hear.
beesknees wrote:I, personally, would not pay sticker for GW.

Well I figure 15k for tuition and 10 for COL. If COL is lower than that is even better.
Oh, I thought you had gotten a full ride from UF and $25k was just your living expenses!

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

MrOrange wrote:I attend GW.

OP, if you have to think about scholly/FT at Florida vs. no money/PT at GW, AND you're not absolutely, 100% married to the idea of trying to work in/around DC, I'm not sure you've really thought this "law" thing through.
It was no accident.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:39 pm

beesknees wrote:

It was no accident.
I could advise you against going for a spacewalk without a suit because I think you might catch cold. Following the advice...good call, reasoning...lacking.

Even retards manage to make spoons do their bidding every now and again.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:54 pm

OP-It's kinda ridiculous for us to be giving you advice as to where you should attend, seeing as you don't know for sure if you will get an acceptance to GWU, thus rendering this kinda pointless. Sounds like paying off your debt quickly is a priority for you, if so, why is this even a question? You'll have very little debt to pay off if you go to Florida, especially with scholarship money. In your hypothetical situation, I vote Florida.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 pm

MrOrange wrote:
beesknees wrote:

It was no accident.
I could advise you against going for a spacewalk without a suit because I think you might catch cold. Following the advice...good call, reasoning...lacking.

Whoa, you need to slow your roll, MrOrange. And I wasn't even bashing your school. If you scroll up, I commented on how OP's COL estimate was too high... and that I wouldn't be a dumb fuck who paid sticker at GW...

Sigh. I can't even believe I'm responding to this.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:07 pm

beesknees wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
beesknees wrote:

It was no accident.

Whoa, you need to slow your roll, MrOrange. And I wasn't even bashing your school. If you scroll up, I commented on how OP's COL estimate was too high... and that I wouldn't be a dumb fuck who paid sticker at GW...

And I can't believe a potted plant learned how to use a PC. Seriously, this has to be historic.

Spend less time in the tanning bed, sweetie.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:16 pm

MrOrange wrote:
beesknees wrote:

And I can't believe a potted plant learned how to use a PC. Seriously, this has to be historic.

Spend less time in the tanning bed, sweetie.
Will do.

Op - sorry for the temporary hijacking of your thread. You can have it back now.

jacko

New

Post by jacko » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:01 pm

MrOrange wrote:
beesknees wrote:

It was no accident.

Quit being a douche. I don't like to assert that a person is only as intelligent as the school he/she attends, but if you're such a genius why aren't you sitting in Cambridge, New Haven, or Palo Alto right now?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:09 pm

jacko wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
beesknees wrote:

It was no accident.

Quit being a douche. I don't like to assert that a person is only as intelligent as the school he/she attends, but if you're such a genius why aren't you sitting in Cambridge, New Haven, or Palo Alto right now?
lol...

My ceiling would've been T-7 if my UGPA didn't approach negative numbers.

Now a question for you: if you're such an asshat, why weren't you aborted?

jacko

New

Post by jacko » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 pm

MrOrange wrote:
jacko wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
beesknees wrote:
lol...

My ceiling would've been T-7 if my UGPA didn't approach negative numbers.

Now a question for you: if you're such an asshat, why weren't you aborted?
You're calling someone else a retard when you're the one that can't even manage a decent UGPA? Most middle school students could pass college classes if they showed up every day.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 pm

welcome back, Mr. Orange :wink:

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:56 pm

I cannot possibly fathom picking GWU in this situation (and I probably could have gotten into the pt program had I applied).

But, I suppose, if going into an additional $120k of debt for marginally better job prospects tickles your fancy, more power to you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 pm

jacko wrote:You're calling someone else a retard when you're the one that can't even manage a decent UGPA? Most middle school students could pass college classes if they showed up every day.
Most universities could also be mistaken for middle schools, but not all. AND I didn't go to class.

But yeah, you're still a retard. In fact, I could probably drink paint for the next week and you'd still be a retard, comparatively.
Veritas wrote:welcome back, Mr. Orange :wink:
Good to see some things don't change, eh? :)

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Would GWU part time be worth it at sticker if you had a relevant legal day job, like a patent agent? it looks like I'll be at one the three DC schools part time (GULC, GMU, or GWU), but since Im applying so late, I sure as hell wont get any money

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”