underage partying in high school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Veyron

Re: underage partying in high school

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Since we don't know where the OP will be going to LAW school (not college), how can we know if this will be the case with them? Perhaps there will be no consequences, perhaps they will be huge, its one big game of Russian Roulette.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:06 pm

Veyron wrote:Since we don't know where the OP will be going to LAW school (not college), how can we know if this will be the case with them? Perhaps there will be no consequences, perhaps they will be huge, its one big game of Russian Roulette.

Why the fuck would he be asking about disclosing this stuff on a college application in a law school admissions forum?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:06 pm

Veyron wrote:Since we don't know where the OP will be going to LAW school (not college), how can we know if this will be the case with them? Perhaps there will be no consequences, perhaps they will be huge, its one big game of Russian Roulette.

This was in law school.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

This was in law school.

I don't understand what Veyron is talking about. It's not risky. He just needs to send a spam email to every school he applied to and notify them. They won't care. The bar won't care. Jesus.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Nah, someone said that the OP was applying to college, I was just correcting that.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:15 pm

[/quote]
I don't understand what Veyron is talking about. It's not risky. He just needs to send a spam email to every school he applied to and notify them. They won't care. The bar won't care. Jesus.[/quote]

My point ex. If he discloses before acceptance he is fine.

MayBerry

Postby MayBerry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Tomorrow morning I am going to track down the dates from when this all happened, write out a brief correction letter for my applications, and let each school know that it is being mailed/faxed to them to be placed with my file.

Some of my schools are vague in the wording, but I already emailed one or two just to see specifically if they want this on file. Regardless, looks like most all of my schools are going to be getting a letter.

Honestly, it was so long ago that it never crossed my mind! Since I was never in front of a judge, no lawyers, never handcuffed, etc, the event from 1999 just didn't even occur to me!

Not a huge deal. Can be corrected on my application files quickly. (stressing me out though now) Hopefully this doesn't make me look like an idiot (which I am) for not putting it on my apps earlier this week. Surely they get worse correction issues than this (ugh), but I still hope it doesn't make me look bad. Not like I am trying to hide a drug conviction or DUI.

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Seems unnecessary. UVa seems to have 4 standard questions

Are there any disciplinary charges pending or expected to be brought against you?
Have you ever been sanctioned in a disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons in any of the [post-HS schools]...you have attended?
Are there any charges pending or expected to be brought against you?
Have you ever been convicted of any offense, excluding minor traffic or parking violations?

In no conceivable way does what happened with you apply.

Duke asks another one:
Have you ever (i) been arrested, charged or cited for any crime or (ii) been convicted of any offense other
than a minor traffic violation?

Again, doesn't seem to fit, since you weren't cited or arrested.

I have no idea why you're worried about this.

MayBerry

Postby MayBerry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:26 pm

since I was still required to take a 2 day seminar, I feel like there is some nick on my record. Even though it is small and not a big deal, I am going to see what the actual record says once I track it down.

True - wording on some application make it a non-issue. For others, the wording is more inclusive to citations and other violations, even as a juvenile, whether expunged or not. Am being advised to just disclose it since it could create a problem BAR wise.

I'm more stress out than I need to be - more irritated at myself that I have to go back thru all my schools, write these letters, etc...

could be MUCH MUCH worse.

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Out of curiosity, which law school has that inclusive language you speak of?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:46 am

MayBerry wrote:since I was still required to take a 2 day seminar, I feel like there is some nick on my record. Even though it is small and not a big deal, I am going to see what the actual record says once I track it down.

True - wording on some application make it a non-issue. For others, the wording is more inclusive to citations and other violations, even as a juvenile, whether expunged or not. Am being advised to just disclose it since it could create a problem BAR wise.

It won't create a problem if the school language in no conceivable way requires you to disclose it. Hence you may not have to disclose it to all schools. A ton do, however, ask you if you have been charged or convicted of any offence. You must disclose to these to avoid problems.

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 am

As far as I see, he has been charged with no offence, though.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:33 am

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:As far as I see, he has been charged with no offence, though.

Then why did he have to take the class (not saying you are wrong, but wouldn't a pnlty. imply that he had been citied for something)?

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:52 am

Well, he said he wasn't cited. But yeah, I wonder that too. Was it the police just telling him that he has to take it or they'll cite him, so he does it?

MayBerry

Postby MayBerry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:45 pm

They wrote me up (remember this was 1999 so a while back), my parents had to sign something, and take me to some county office. It was mandatory that I take the seminar. Or at least they said it was mandatory. May be been trying to scare me.

I have spent ALL morning on the phone with every department, and everyone who tried to look into it said they found no formal citation ever being listed for me -

BUT - crazy thing is that in this long morning process, I found out that I had a civil citation/guilty plea for some random matter in 2001 which I never even knew about till now! Odd because I wasn't even living in that county or in the state during the supposed issue date.

Good thing I was being so neurotic about my high school party matter, otherwise I would have never know about this civil citation case! because THAT is something I need to correct, and message schools about it was a zoning/permit violation listed at an address I never lived at nor owned a business at.

On the high school matter - from what I remember, it wasn't a formal citation, but just a police/county process? I even called to ask my parents and they didn't know what to say. After speaking to 15 or so departments who looked into it/my full record history, they saw nothing at all. I wouldn't even know what to write if I did tell my schools. I was 16, don't even know the date it happened, and I know no real details. lol

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”