withdrawal

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:14 pm

.
Last edited by bissey on Tue May 17, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby BriaTharen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:22 pm

It's pretty unethical. You're supposed to get the scholarship money only as a full times student. Just take some relaxing GPA-boosting classes.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:27 pm

.
Last edited by bissey on Tue May 17, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby BriaTharen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Is the condition of your scholarship full time student status? If so, then full time student status is what you need to have to get the scholarship; it doesn't matter how many students have the scholarship. I don't think it will hurt you academically if that is what you are asking, but I think it is unethical to take money and not hold up your end of the bargain.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:46 pm

I have earned the scholarship and have decided I don't want to attend 2 of the classes anymore. I don't see that being unethical. Thanks for the replies though.

jackster2
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby jackster2 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:53 pm

I don't see any ethical issue.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:56 pm

bissey wrote:Why is it unethical? It's a state scholarship at a state school that a lot of students have. My adviser was the one to tell me I could withdraw since I don't need it. Idk I never thought of it in an ethics perspective.


I'd be surprised, honestly, if you didn't get that scholly revoked and end up paying a bill later on.

In any case, if you're only going to take 6 credits you should get a job. If you don't do something during that semester, anyone reviewing your app will see that you were taking 6 credits and see that your resume has no job for that time period. They'll want to know what you were doing to for that time period, since 6 credits, unless it's biochem or something, would only require you to work like, 30 min a week. You'll just look like a screwup.
Last edited by kn6542 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 pm

kn6542 wrote:
bissey wrote:Why is it unethical? It's a state scholarship at a state school that a lot of students have. My adviser was the one to tell me I could withdraw since I don't need it. Idk I never thought of it in an ethics perspective.

Then why are you asking about it?

I'd be surprised, honestly, if you didn't get that scholly revoked and end up paying a bill later on.


Why am I asking what?

That is not even an issue. Please don't comment when you clearly have no idea.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:01 pm

bissey wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
bissey wrote:Why is it unethical? It's a state scholarship at a state school that a lot of students have. My adviser was the one to tell me I could withdraw since I don't need it. Idk I never thought of it in an ethics perspective.

Then why are you asking about it?

I'd be surprised, honestly, if you didn't get that scholly revoked and end up paying a bill later on.


Why am I asking what?

That is not even an issue. Please don't comment when you clearly have no idea.

It is an issue, since you seem to have an inability to understand a condition of your scholly. If there is a crack in the system at said poorly run state school that allows you to get away with it, more power to you, but don't pretend like you aren't scamming the system.

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bitlrc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:18 pm

these other posters are correct, there is an ethical problem caused by your refusal to maintain full time student status through the entire semester, if indeed that is a condition of the scholarship. maybe i can draw an analogy:

let's say you took your car to a repairman, and he promised to fix your fix 4 parts of your car. you pay him in full under the condition that he fix all 4 parts. after a while, the repairman decided he no longer wanted to complete the work, so he fixed 2 parts and then kept all your money. not very ethical, right? he may have "earned" your money because his previous work record was positive and he had came highly recommended, but earning the money was still contingent upon his completion of the work.

i understand it's the biggest stretch for an analogy that has ever been laid out. regardless, if you do not stay within the terms of the scholarship, even though you earned it and your adviser said it was the right thing to do, you would still be in violation of the terms of the scholarship and, if someone caught on, it would most likely be revoked.

that said, if you're confident you get away with it and you're willing to take the risk then try it out. i'm not saying you'll definitely get caught, i'm just saying if someone noticed what happened and cared enough about it, you probably would have to pay back a portion of the scholarship and it may show up somewhere on your records when you apply to law school (which i assume, considering the site this was posted on, is your ultimate reasoning behind the post).

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:19 pm

kn6542 wrote:
bissey wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
bissey wrote:Why is it unethical? It's a state scholarship at a state school that a lot of students have. My adviser was the one to tell me I could withdraw since I don't need it. Idk I never thought of it in an ethics perspective.

Then why are you asking about it?

I'd be surprised, honestly, if you didn't get that scholly revoked and end up paying a bill later on.


Why am I asking what?

That is not even an issue. Please don't comment when you clearly have no idea.

It is an issue, since you seem to have an inability to understand a condition of your scholly. If there is a crack in the system at said poorly run state school that allows you to get away with it, more power to you, but don't pretend like you aren't scamming the system.


I understand the conditions. Meanwhile, you are talking out of your ass since you have no idea what the scholarship is.

Do you understand what withdrawal means? It means I wanted to take this class, but for whatever reason, I do not want to anymore. The scholarship only pays for a certain number of hours. I have been a good student and have taken all the necessary classes without withdrawals. This allows me some leeway. It is not a crack, it is not a scam; it's a flexible scholarship and I have not used the flexibility of it since I have not needed it. I need it now and will use it at my well-run state school, asshole.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:21 pm

bitlrc wrote:these other posters are correct, there is an ethical problem caused by your refusal to maintain full time student status through the entire semester, if indeed that is a condition of the scholarship. maybe i can draw an analogy:

let's say you took your car to a repairman, and he promised to fix your fix 4 parts of your car. you pay him in full under the condition that he fix all 4 parts. after a while, the repairman decided he no longer wanted to complete the work, so he fixed 2 parts and then kept all your money. not very ethical, right? he may have "earned" your money because his previous work record was positive and he had came highly recommended, but earning the money was still contingent upon his completion of the work.

i understand it's the biggest stretch for an analogy that has ever been laid out. regardless, if you do not stay within the terms of the scholarship, even though you earned it and your adviser said it was the right thing to do, you would still be in violation of the terms of the scholarship and, if someone caught on, it would most likely be revoked.

that said, if you're confident you get away with it and you're willing to take the risk then try it out. i'm not saying you'll definitely get caught, i'm just saying if someone noticed what happened and cared enough about it, you probably would have to pay back a portion of the scholarship and it may show up somewhere on your records when you apply to law school (which i assume, considering the site this was posted on, is your ultimate reasoning behind the post).


Holy shit, no one here has withdrawn from a class I guess. There is a 6 credit hour flexibility in the scholarship to allow for withdrawals. No one cares if I use it or not. The question I posed was in relation to law school, not if it is ethical (it is) or if it will cause my scholarship to be revoked.

Never fucking mind.

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bitlrc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 pm

bissey wrote:
bitlrc wrote:these other posters are correct, there is an ethical problem caused by your refusal to maintain full time student status through the entire semester, if indeed that is a condition of the scholarship. maybe i can draw an analogy:

let's say you took your car to a repairman, and he promised to fix your fix 4 parts of your car. you pay him in full under the condition that he fix all 4 parts. after a while, the repairman decided he no longer wanted to complete the work, so he fixed 2 parts and then kept all your money. not very ethical, right? he may have "earned" your money because his previous work record was positive and he had came highly recommended, but earning the money was still contingent upon his completion of the work.

i understand it's the biggest stretch for an analogy that has ever been laid out. regardless, if you do not stay within the terms of the scholarship, even though you earned it and your adviser said it was the right thing to do, you would still be in violation of the terms of the scholarship and, if someone caught on, it would most likely be revoked.

that said, if you're confident you get away with it and you're willing to take the risk then try it out. i'm not saying you'll definitely get caught, i'm just saying if someone noticed what happened and cared enough about it, you probably would have to pay back a portion of the scholarship and it may show up somewhere on your records when you apply to law school (which i assume, considering the site this was posted on, is your ultimate reasoning behind the post).


Holy shit, no one here has withdrawn from a class I guess. There is a 6 credit hour flexibility in the scholarship to allow for withdrawals. No one cares if I use it or not. The question I posed was in relation to law school, not if it is ethical (it is) or if it will cause my scholarship to be revoked.

Never fucking mind.[/
quote]


you asked for opinions without explaining that there was a 6 credit hour flexibility. the ethical question was raised because law schools and the aba have high ethical standards for all members, so if you did something unethical on your record, it could cause a red flag when you apply to law school and the bar association. no one here is attacking you, we're just trying to help you out. if there's a 6 hour credit flexibility clause or something within your scholarship, then you're obviously well within your rights to drop those classes so no worries.

the only thing i could see for your law school app is that some schools will take a look a rigor of coursework and will see that you only took 6 hours your last semester. that would be the only issue i would see.

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bitlrc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:31 pm

nice job on those quotes

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:31 pm

They won't care as long as it doesn't impact your LDAS GPA.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:34 pm

bitlrc: I never asked if there was an ethical dilemma with the situation. The last 2 sentences of your post is what I was looking for, thank you.

Desert Fox: agreed, thanks.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby BriaTharen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

You asked a question. We responded. You didn't like the answer, so you get pissy.

It is pretty obvious by the name calling and insults you have thrown around that you are just looking for people to affirm the underhanded maneuver you are trying to pull, not looking for actual advice. Plenty of people, myself included, have withdrawn from classes- but I am sure that few to none of us have enrolled in a class purposely to withdraw. That is the ethics issue the responders are having. You essentially are lying to whoever is giving you the scholarship. Plus, if these classes are ones that having waiting lists, you are cheating someone out of a spot in a class that they actually need so you can enroll it and drop it to get undeserved scholarship money.

Not to mention, your final transcripts go to your law school- 2+ W's looks real shady. Especially in the last semester. Law schools see that and know you are someone who was looking to slack off in their last semester.

Next time you want to ask advice, do it because you want advice. Not because you are looking to affirm your dishonesty-- dishonesty that even you were feeling shaky about. If you were 100% confident in what you were doing, you wouldn't have posted here.

EDIT: You did ask for ethics. You said "Would this cause any problems?" Ethics is a problem, especially in this industry.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:40 pm

bissey wrote:bitlrc: I never asked if there was an ethical dilemma with the situation. The last 2 sentences of your post is what I was looking for, thank you.

Desert Fox: agreed, thanks.

You might note that you don't get to dictate what people are going to say to you on a message board. People may have an opinion that isn't precisely an answer to your question.
Additionally, your posts have a tone that makes you sound like beavis and butthead's lovechild, so don't be surprised by the responses you get. You SOUND like the lazy, entitled kid who has no problem scamming the system to get his "earned" scholarship, so that is how people are responding to you.

You didn't mention the 6 credit flexibility clause in your OP, so you shouldn't be surprised that people think you're a little shifty.

Are you really going to take 6 hrs and not work for a semester? Why don't you take a class or two in something of interest? Or do you have no interests?
Last edited by kn6542 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:45 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:You asked a question. We responded. You didn't like the answer, so you get pissy.

It is pretty obvious by the name calling and insults you have thrown around that you are just looking for people to affirm the underhanded maneuver you are trying to pull, not looking for actual advice. Plenty of people, myself included, have withdrawn from classes- but I am sure that few to none of us have enrolled in a class purposely to withdraw. That is the ethics issue the responders are having. You essentially are lying to whoever is giving you the scholarship. Plus, if these classes are ones that having waiting lists, you are cheating someone out of a spot in a class that they actually need so you can enroll it and drop it to get undeserved scholarship money.

Not to mention, your final transcripts go to your law school- 2+ W's looks real shady. Especially in the last semester. Law schools see that and know you are someone who was looking to slack off in their last semester.

Next time you want to ask advice, do it because you want advice. Not because you are looking to affirm your dishonesty-- dishonesty that even you were feeling shaky about. If you were 100% confident in what you were doing, you wouldn't have posted here.

EDIT: You did ask for ethics. You said "Would this cause any problems?" Ethics is a problem, especially in this industry.


Pissy? I didn't like the answer because they were not answers to my question. The "problems" I was concerned about is how it would look to law schools. All the replies, until the end, were about ethics, something I am unconcerned about because I KNOW it is not unethical. I'm not looking for opinions on ethics, so that can stop. And yes, I am not looking for advice. I am looking for opinions on how a withdrawal would affect my applications. I didn't enroll to withdrawal, but my adviser made me aware of my options and I am considering them.

What name calling and insults are you referring to? I called one poster asshole because he said, "If there is a crack in the system at said poorly run state school that allows you to get away with it, more power to you, but don't pretend like you aren't scamming the system." I'm not scamming anyone as I have earned a scholarship that allows me to withdraw. That comment was mean spirited and my response was not excessive.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:47 pm

kn6542 wrote:
bissey wrote:bitlrc: I never asked if there was an ethical dilemma with the situation. The last 2 sentences of your post is what I was looking for, thank you.

Desert Fox: agreed, thanks.

You might note that you don't get to dictate what people are going to say to you on a message board. People may have an opinion that isn't precisely an answer to your question.
Additionally, your posts have a tone that makes you sound like beavis and butthead's lovechild, so don't be surprised by the responses you get.

You didn't mention the 6 credit flexibility clause in your OP, so you shouldn't be surprised that people think you're a little shifty.


Well, then I believe it's my right to tell them not to comment if it has nothing to do with my question.

Your posts have a tone that make you sound like an asshole, so don't be surprised when I call you out. I worked for everything I have, so keep that shit to yourself.

Yea, I didn't mention it because it has nothing to do with my question. I only mentioned it once the ethics argument came up.

edit: I'm taking 6 hours because for the past 4 years, I have always worked 30+ hours per week along with taking classes. Some off time would be nice. Again, an asshole way of asking.
Last edited by bissey on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: withdrawal

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:49 pm

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:49 pm

bissey wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:You asked a question. We responded. You didn't like the answer, so you get pissy.

It is pretty obvious by the name calling and insults you have thrown around that you are just looking for people to affirm the underhanded maneuver you are trying to pull, not looking for actual advice. Plenty of people, myself included, have withdrawn from classes- but I am sure that few to none of us have enrolled in a class purposely to withdraw. That is the ethics issue the responders are having. You essentially are lying to whoever is giving you the scholarship. Plus, if these classes are ones that having waiting lists, you are cheating someone out of a spot in a class that they actually need so you can enroll it and drop it to get undeserved scholarship money.

Not to mention, your final transcripts go to your law school- 2+ W's looks real shady. Especially in the last semester. Law schools see that and know you are someone who was looking to slack off in their last semester.

Next time you want to ask advice, do it because you want advice. Not because you are looking to affirm your dishonesty-- dishonesty that even you were feeling shaky about. If you were 100% confident in what you were doing, you wouldn't have posted here.

EDIT: You did ask for ethics. You said "Would this cause any problems?" Ethics is a problem, especially in this industry.


Pissy? I didn't like the answer because they were not answers to my question. The "problems" I was concerned about is how it would look to law schools. All the replies, until the end, were about ethics, something I am unconcerned about because I KNOW it is not unethical. I'm not looking for opinions on ethics, so that can stop. And yes, I am not looking for advice. I am looking for opinions on how a withdrawal would affect my applications. I didn't enroll to withdrawal, but my adviser made me aware of my options and I am considering them.

What name calling and insults are you referring to? I called one poster asshole because he said, "If there is a crack in the system at said poorly run state school that allows you to get away with it, more power to you, but don't pretend like you aren't scamming the system." I'm not scamming anyone as I have earned a scholarship that allows me to withdraw. That comment was mean spirited and my response was not excessive.



Well, presumably, if there is such a crack in the system, it is a poorly run school. And I'm not a dude.

It would have helped if you asked the question with all the relevant facts from the start.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: withdrawal

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:50 pm

Read a couple replies to this. Had some thoughts. Here they are:

-If this person's school is like nine out of ten state schools out there, it could really use more open seats in classes.
-At many schools, a person is counted as full time (for scholarship, athletics, and insurance rate purposes) if they are taking the only units remaining that they need to graduate.
-Is there any good reason that the school would want you to take up space in pointless classes that you don't need?
-Why not get something in writing from somebody important saying that you only need 6 units to keep your scholarship, or, alternatively, why not take a bunch of exercise type classes or "work experience" or "internship" units?

There is no ethical dilemma here, and you shouldn't make your life harder for no reason.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:50 pm

bissey wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:You asked a question. We responded. You didn't like the answer, so you get pissy.

It is pretty obvious by the name calling and insults you have thrown around that you are just looking for people to affirm the underhanded maneuver you are trying to pull, not looking for actual advice. Plenty of people, myself included, have withdrawn from classes- but I am sure that few to none of us have enrolled in a class purposely to withdraw. That is the ethics issue the responders are having. You essentially are lying to whoever is giving you the scholarship. Plus, if these classes are ones that having waiting lists, you are cheating someone out of a spot in a class that they actually need so you can enroll it and drop it to get undeserved scholarship money.

Not to mention, your final transcripts go to your law school- 2+ W's looks real shady. Especially in the last semester. Law schools see that and know you are someone who was looking to slack off in their last semester.

Next time you want to ask advice, do it because you want advice. Not because you are looking to affirm your dishonesty-- dishonesty that even you were feeling shaky about. If you were 100% confident in what you were doing, you wouldn't have posted here.

EDIT: You did ask for ethics. You said "Would this cause any problems?" Ethics is a problem, especially in this industry.


Pissy? I didn't like the answer because they were not answers to my question. The "problems" I was concerned about is how it would look to law schools. All the replies, until the end, were about ethics, something I am unconcerned about because I KNOW it is not unethical. I'm not looking for opinions on ethics, so that can stop. And yes, I am not looking for advice. I am looking for opinions on how a withdrawal would affect my applications. I didn't enroll to withdrawal, but my adviser made me aware of my options and I am considering them.

What name calling and insults are you referring to? I called one poster asshole because he said, "If there is a crack in the system at said poorly run state school that allows you to get away with it, more power to you, but don't pretend like you aren't scamming the system." I'm not scamming anyone as I have earned a scholarship that allows me to withdraw. That comment was mean spirited and my response was not excessive.


If you ask a question that can only be answered based on speculation, you're going to get a lot of unhelpful answers.

PS. You're the one who got upset because someone disagreed with your intended actions. I don't think what you're proposing is unethical, but I don't think you take criticism very well either. :roll:

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: withdrawal

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:51 pm

kn6542 wrote:
bissey wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:You asked a question. We responded. You didn't like the answer, so you get pissy.

It is pretty obvious by the name calling and insults you have thrown around that you are just looking for people to affirm the underhanded maneuver you are trying to pull, not looking for actual advice. Plenty of people, myself included, have withdrawn from classes- but I am sure that few to none of us have enrolled in a class purposely to withdraw. That is the ethics issue the responders are having. You essentially are lying to whoever is giving you the scholarship. Plus, if these classes are ones that having waiting lists, you are cheating someone out of a spot in a class that they actually need so you can enroll it and drop it to get undeserved scholarship money.

Not to mention, your final transcripts go to your law school- 2+ W's looks real shady. Especially in the last semester. Law schools see that and know you are someone who was looking to slack off in their last semester.

Next time you want to ask advice, do it because you want advice. Not because you are looking to affirm your dishonesty-- dishonesty that even you were feeling shaky about. If you were 100% confident in what you were doing, you wouldn't have posted here.

EDIT: You did ask for ethics. You said "Would this cause any problems?" Ethics is a problem, especially in this industry.


Pissy? I didn't like the answer because they were not answers to my question. The "problems" I was concerned about is how it would look to law schools. All the replies, until the end, were about ethics, something I am unconcerned about because I KNOW it is not unethical. I'm not looking for opinions on ethics, so that can stop. And yes, I am not looking for advice. I am looking for opinions on how a withdrawal would affect my applications. I didn't enroll to withdrawal, but my adviser made me aware of my options and I am considering them.

What name calling and insults are you referring to? I called one poster asshole because he said, "If there is a crack in the system at said poorly run state school that allows you to get away with it, more power to you, but don't pretend like you aren't scamming the system." I'm not scamming anyone as I have earned a scholarship that allows me to withdraw. That comment was mean spirited and my response was not excessive.



Well, presumably, if there is such a crack in the system, it is a poorly run school. And I'm not a dude.

It would have helped if you asked the question with all the relevant facts from the start.


It's not a crack, retard. Holy shit. Just leave.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], packerboy31489, uiony, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests