Sending Applications Early is not important

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Is sending your apps out early (before December) that important?

Nope
24%
Yep
76%

Total votes: 55

billyez

Sending Applications Early is not important

Postby billyez » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Everyone trumpets how important it is to have your applications sent out early but my cycle - and the cycles I've observed along the way - don't really seem to demonstrate this. I need to note that I'm a URM, which could make my experience non-representative and the schools and it's not precisely legitmate of me to make this claim based on the few schools I applied to in early November, which is why I'm expanding it to the populace.

The only schools that responded to me before the year ended were schools where I EA'd or ED'd with one exception - a third tier law school that contacted me a week or two after applying with scholly money and an acceptance. It seems like the only time applying early really seems to make a difference is when you already have the numbers to be accepted later anyway and even then it's not guaranteed (read: Cornell Waiting Room thread). I am not aware of any miracles occurring in the Georgetown or Cornell thread wherein an applicant who applied ED/EA got in with numbers that wouldn't have got them in at a later time. If that's the case, the only observable benefit of applying early to me is getting it out of the way.

Sauer Grapes

Re: Sending Applications Early is not important

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:00 pm

i got in at almost half my schools (applied to 13 total) last year before January 1.

your premise is probably right if you are looking solely at getting in. $$$ however is finite and it is given out on a rolling basis. if you apply in late Jan - early Feb your chances at any scholarship drop significantly.

URMs have the hardest to predict cycles in this, one of the hardest to predict years. i'm not sure how much we can read into your experience.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 pm

I applied the last week in October and I'm in at a number of schools for which I was fully expecting waitlists or was 50-50 (W&M, Fordham, W&L) and I'm on a waitlist at Gtown which has got to be a miracle. 167/3.4. I think applying early is crucial if you're not an auto-admit.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:37 pm

If you are an auto-admit or auto-reject, then no, it doesn't matter.

If you are in that gray area in-between, then it could potentially matter quite a bit.

Faesha

Postby Faesha » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:44 pm

kalvano wrote:If you are an auto-admit or auto-reject, then no, it doesn't matter.

If you are in that gray area in-between, then it could potentially matter quite a bit.

This.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”