Should I even bother applying to Harvard?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Should I even bother applying to Harvard?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Haha OP can't go to Harvard because his wife's former lover went there and didn't find work. That's brutal.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:28 pm

studylaw7 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:...attend the #2 law school in the nation ...

subtle yale troll. why not just say something along the lines of "one of the best" or top 3?

Truth is an absolute defense against trolling.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Haha OP can't go to Harvard because his wife's former lover went there and didn't find work. That's brutal.

lol i think thats a gross simplification of the issue, but you're right, it is funnier if you think of it that way

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:31 pm

If most of your discussions have been casual (over dinner, in bed, while watching TV, etc...) it sounds to me like it might be a good idea to do a lot of research on your explicit job and life goals regarding law school, get a lot of hard numbers relating to debt, income, life in Boston, etc..., and then sit down with your wife some evening and talk about the benefits and drawbacks of Harvard. You know, have one of those tortured and formal "life directions" discussions.

Make sure you look into various loan repayment systems and their impact on your decision.

just my .02...

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:31 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Haha OP can't go to Harvard because his wife's former lover went there and didn't find work. That's brutal.

lol i think thats a gross simplification of the issue, but you're right, it is funnier if you think of it that way

Isn't that what matters? Besides my bitter jealousy?

studylaw7

Postby studylaw7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:

subtle yale troll. why not just say something along the lines of "one of the best" or top 3?

not true to some buddy. I believe yale is heavily overrated.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Harvard is one of the few places where that much debt is a solid investment (assuming that your career goals will take advantage of it).

As for the side conversation about your marriage (I'm sure she loves being in the e-spotlight now), it sounds like you guys have a relationship where the other person's feelings are important (not all marriages do)... so congrats on that. If HLS is important to you and you manage to get in, I'm betting she will support you as long as you let her know how much it means to you.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Sangiovese wrote:Harvard is one of the few places where that much debt is a solid investment (assuming that your career goals will take advantage of it).

As for the side conversation about your marriage (I'm sure she loves being in the e-spotlight now), it sounds like you guys have a relationship where the other person's feelings are important (not all marriages do)... so congrats on that. If HLS is important to you and you manage to get in, I'm betting she will support you as long as you let her know how much it means to you.

Dunno dude, If I was married I wouldn't want my husband to go to law school. They will be too busy to spend time with you for three years of school, then get out and best case scenario is they find a big law job where they work 80 hours a week and don't have time to spend with me.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 pm

studylaw7 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:

Harvard is ranked #2 by US NEWS. Also, I don't attend Yale and I'm not applying to Yale.

studylaw7

Postby studylaw7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:14 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:

Harvard is ranked #2 by US NEWS. Also, I don't attend Yale and I'm not applying to Yale.

maybe you should have specified USNWR in your earlier post, then. too many people take the USNWR to heart.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:16 pm

studylaw7 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:

maybe you should have specified USNWR in your earlier post, then. too many people take the USNWR to heart.

True. Harvard is ranked #1 in 'Judging the Law Schools'

studylaw7

Postby studylaw7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:22 pm

holydonkey wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:

no ranking can validate a school's #1 status. Is Princeton the #1 college, because USNWR often says it is? Similarly, is yls the #1 law school, because USNWR says it is? smart people come up with their own groupings and don't doggedly refer to rankings to legitimize their school. this happens very often with yls. people come up with all these grand reasons of why yls is #1 but the underlying reason is actually the usnews ranking.

studylaw7

Postby studylaw7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:23 pm

I also don't go to hls or sls, fwiw.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:25 pm

studylaw7 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:

no ranking can validate a school's #1 status. Is Princeton the #1 college, because USNWR often says it is? Similarly, is yls the #1 law school, because USNWR says it is? smart people come up with their own groupings and don't doggedly refer to rankings to legitimize their school. this happens very often with yls. people come up with all these grand reasons of why yls is #1 but the underlying reason is actually the usnews ranking.

I assure you that "Yale is #1 in UNSW" is not the only valid reason for believing Yale is the best law school in the U.S.

studylaw7

Postby studylaw7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:30 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:

I assure you that "Yale is #1 in UNSW" is not the only valid reason for believing Yale is the best law school in the U.S.

lol. I never said it was even valid. I also said it was the main reason, not the only reason. I personally think yls suffers from the infamous yale inferiority complex to harvard and they find it necessary to bolster their school's rep. The argument often reeks of the feeling that "Look, this is the part of yale that is better than you, harvard!!! Look, usnews also confirms it!!!!"

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

studylaw7 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:

lol. I never said it was even valid. I also said it was the main reason, not the only reason. I personally think yls suffers from the infamous yale inferiority complex to harvard and they find it necessary to bolster their school's rep. The argument often reeks of the feeling that "Look, this is the part of yale that is better than you, harvard!!! Look, usnews also confirms it!!!!"

I call flame on the poster. All done here for me!

studylaw7

Postby studylaw7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:46 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:

I call flame on the poster. All done here for me!

more of an opinion

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”