Haiti Quake Please Help! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: Haiti Quake Please Help!

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Updated. Yeah!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:40 pm

We are close to $5,000. Also, does anyone know the value of 250 LexisNexis points? I have another 950 I want to donate as well.

janderson

Bronze

Post by janderson » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:35 pm

$10 to Red Cross. I'll probably donate more later this week, after I get paid.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:25 pm

I just donated 250 lexis points. I dunno how much that is or how that works. Can anyone explain?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:25 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Also, does anyone know the value of 250 LexisNexis points? I have another 950 I want to donate as well.
Suspiciously it's not on their website. I've contacted them and will post here as soon as I have an answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:27 am

$10 to Red

$5 to Yele

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:38 am

FYI: The Haitian Embassy, in Washington, D.C., is collecting donations on Sunday, January 17th, from 11-4.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:10 am

My company was doing donation matching, so $250 + their matching $250 to Partners in Health.

lawyer879

New

Post by lawyer879 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:15 am

I have donated as well.

Thank you for reminding us to help!

Those people will be remembered in our prayers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:17 am

lawyer879 wrote:I have donated as well.

Thank you for reminding us to help!

Those people will be remembered in our prayers.
Thanks for donating!

People, please be sure to post how much you donated so we can keep track of how much TLS as a whole has raised.

NYU2011

New

Post by NYU2011 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 am

According to our Lexis rep, 250 point is $4. They also said students have donated over $23,000!

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:35 am

$200 to the red cross.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:52 pm

Another $10 at my local Whole Foods to AmeriCares

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:56 pm

I hadn't thought to post this here (I've been working on this straight for three days elsewhere, but then saw this thread pop up as I took a short mental-health break.)

My favorite professor at Cornell had previously adopted a number of children from Haiti, and on the day of the earthquake, was awaiting US immigration approval to bring two new daughters, four year old twins, to join her family in Ithaca. Information obtained since then is that her daughters are alive, but in dire straits, as the orphanage, home to 150 children, was heavily damaged, with some staff killed, and is now being looted for any remaining supplies.

Having spent most of the 90s and 00s working in state and local politics, I understand that the squeaky wheel does in fact get the grease. I know that there are 3 million people who need assistance in Haiti, but this orphanage is within shouting distance of a working helicopter port and has posted their need for help on their roof. They are accessible to assistance - they just now need someone to care. If local, and even national media with take an interest in this case, I believe they will get some attention. There were rumors that CNN was going out to the orphanage last night - but that never materialized. We need people to call, email, fax, twitter any and all persons they know at NGOs, State, media organizations, etc. - anywhere people might take notice and get the ball rolling. Things are very, very desperate, as the orphanage has been broken into the past two nights and now the gates are wrecked.

The name and address of the orphanage is Maison des Infants de Dieu ("For His Glory"), Delmas 31 # 32, Port au Prince. If you have any contacts, any suggestions of contacts, I would really, really appreciate the help. I've been working on this non-stop for the past two days, and am trying every avenue I can.

Thanks for anyone who can help on this.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:47 pm

NYU2011 wrote:According to our Lexis rep, 250 point is $4. They also said students have donated over $23,000!
If this is true, then the 1250 points I donated comes out to $20.

jatuab

New

Post by jatuab » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:51 pm

I don't know whether this has been said yet or not, but the donations through text messages could reportedly take three months to reach the charities, because the phone companies won't donate until after that billing cycle's balance has been paid. I would donate through the Internet before doing so with a text message.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:04 pm

mbw wrote:I hadn't thought to post this here (I've been working on this straight for three days elsewhere, but then saw this thread pop up as I took a short mental-health break.)

My favorite professor at Cornell had previously adopted a number of children from Haiti, and on the day of the earthquake, was awaiting US immigration approval to bring two new daughters, four year old twins, to join her family in Ithaca. Information obtained since then is that her daughters are alive, but in dire straits, as the orphanage, home to 150 children, was heavily damaged, with some staff killed, and is now being looted for any remaining supplies.

Having spent most of the 90s and 00s working in state and local politics, I understand that the squeaky wheel does in fact get the grease. I know that there are 3 million people who need assistance in Haiti, but this orphanage is within shouting distance of a working helicopter port and has posted their need for help on their roof. They are accessible to assistance - they just now need someone to care. If local, and even national media with take an interest in this case, I believe they will get some attention. There were rumors that CNN was going out to the orphanage last night - but that never materialized. We need people to call, email, fax, twitter any and all persons they know at NGOs, State, media organizations, etc. - anywhere people might take notice and get the ball rolling. Things are very, very desperate, as the orphanage has been broken into the past two nights and now the gates are wrecked.

The name and address of the orphanage is Maison des Infants de Dieu ("For His Glory"), Delmas 31 # 32, Port au Prince. If you have any contacts, any suggestions of contacts, I would really, really appreciate the help. I've been working on this non-stop for the past two days, and am trying every avenue I can.

Thanks for anyone who can help on this.

http://johnson-mccormickfamily.blogspot ... itian.html
This link is to the blog of a sociology professor that has two adopted Haitian boys. Slight chance you might find something helpful on her page or she may be able to aid you in another way.

I wish you the best.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:12 pm

jatuab wrote:I don't know whether this has been said yet or not, but the donations through text messages could reportedly take three months to reach the charities, because the phone companies won't donate until after that billing cycle's balance has been paid. I would donate through the Internet before doing so with a text message.
I did hear this from a guy on CNN (he was with the massive touchscreen computer). I think that the 3 months is kind of ridiculous though. The big organizations already have funding, and can dip into that as long as they know how much they've been pledged so far. I think some smaller organizations (like Yele Haiti) are trying to get bridge loans.
Lisa Szarkowski of UNICEF said on CNN that the money "is converted into aid within hours." (Referring to online donations).

Iuvo

New

Post by Iuvo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Why are they shooting looters...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:18 pm

TLS: You raised and donated over $5,000 as of this afternoon. I am thrilled and astonished by your generosity!

<3 OS

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:51 pm

$35.00 to Oxfam

($20.00 to yele as well, but I regret not putting that towards oxfam given recent news suggesting that although a legit organization, it does not have the capability to provide instant relief in this type of disaster)

Edit: major props to those who organized the TLS fundraising effort.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Updated. Thank you!

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:31 pm

in for 10

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:22 pm

Updated. Just a reminder: if you gave, please post here or PM me so I can add your contribution to the TLS total, which now stands well above $5k.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:23 pm

And updated again! $5,355.70 in cash, so far, plus airline miles worth thousands more.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”