Lowest High School GPA now going to a T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jawsthegreat

Lowest High School GPA now going to a T14

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:35 pm

I may win this. I had a 2.4 GPA in high school but, still managed to go to a decent UG because of sports and my rocking ACT score.

When I told my high school guidance counselor my college GPA and where I was going to Law School I thought her head was going to explode.

Anybody else got some stories?

ughOSU

Re: Lowest High School GPA now going to a T14

Postby ughOSU » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:38 pm

I wasn't as bad as you, but I was no star student in high school. However, half the reason that I'm so happy about the Penn acceptance is so I can go there and show off how great I am to everyone from high school.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:39 pm

And high school GPA is relevant to law school how?

Get any HS GPA -> Go to (some) college -> Get great college GPA -> Go to T14.

onetimeonly95

Postby onetimeonly95 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 pm

2.1 high school gpa-->TTT college--> 3.5 gpa and hoping for a T14 acceptance

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:42 pm

LawandOrder wrote:And high school GPA is relevant to law school how?

QFT. LSAT aside, anything more seems to be some bizarro dick-measuring contest, but what do I know.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:43 pm

It has nothing to do with it. Its just interesting.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:46 pm

Coasted my way through high school and college... quite literally. Did zero homework or studying in HS, still got into a pretty good UG due to SAT score and decent grades, started doing homework in college but still didn't go to class or study for tests until the last two years, still got decent job opportunities due to... *shrug*. Despite hard major and hard school, should have been able to get a good GPA if I had actually tried.

E-mailed my high school calc teacher the other day and she was like glad I finally got my head out of my ass, only pity is that I missed out on some scholarships along the way and better schools I could've gotten into.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

I had a 2.7 at a mediocre urban high school. Way too distracted by athletics, girls, drinking.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Not going to law school yet, just applying, but I had a 1.9 high school GPA, after a year of high grades in senior blow off classes. 8) My college gpa went all the way up to just under a 3.0, so I fully expect to make another 1 point gpa jump in law school, to about a 3.9. :D

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:06 pm

2.6 highschool GPA.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I think I win. I dropped out of high school, got a GED and am now looking at a legitimate shot at Cornell, or at very least serious scholarship $$ at a T25.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:11 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:I think I win. I dropped out of high school, got a GED and am now looking at a legitimate shot at Cornell, or at very least serious scholarship $$ at a T25.

Haha, well played, sir.

Sherpa

Postby Sherpa » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Looks like I tied with lawschooliseasy. I dropped out of HS with a sub 2.0 GPA and got a GED. Now I have a good shot at at most of the T14.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:12 pm

I was in the bottom quarter a high school with over 3,000 people. I graduated with a 2.1, and the only reason why I got that was because I successfully lied to so many professors about why I hadn't done my assignments. I almost wasn't allowed to graduate. Now, I'm graduating Summa Cum Laude, I'm in Mortar Board, I've been accepted to Loyola Chicago, Denver, St. Thomas, Saint Louis, and I just had my IU Bloomington interview. And I'm about 60 pounds lighter than I was when I graduated high school. It's been a fun turnaround.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Last edited by Thirteen on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:58 pm

ughOSU wrote:I wasn't as bad as you, but I was no star student in high school. However, half the reason that I'm so happy about the Penn acceptance is so I can go there and show off how great I am to everyone from high school.

How great you are? Nobody likes lawyers.

T14

Postby T14 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:23 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:I think I win. I dropped out of high school, got a GED and am now looking at a legitimate shot at Cornell, or at very least serious scholarship $$ at a T25.

I think I have you beat on this one. I dropped out after grade 10. I Never got a GED; grade 10 is still my highest level of high school education. Now I am admitted to HLS. I wonder how many people graduate from there without a GED/HS diploma :lol:

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:24 pm

I was a serious fuck-up in high school and I never earned a diploma or a GED.

Now I'm applying to law schools with a GPA/LSAT that reads "admit" on everything at lawschoolpredictor (yeah, I know that it's not super-accurate for HYS, keeping my fingers crossed).

I'm very grateful that we live in a society that gives young folk 2nd chances. People can change.

EDIT: Just read the post directly above - We're equally uneducated (I'm also a sophomore year dropout). If I go to HLS we should start a club or something :D.
Last edited by drsomebody on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:28 pm

T14 wrote:

I think I have you beat on this one. I dropped out after grade 10. I Never got a GED; grade 10 is still my highest level of high school education. Now I am admitted to HLS. I wonder how many people graduate from there without a GED/HS diploma :lol:

Dude pwnage!

T14

Postby T14 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:33 pm

drsomebody wrote:I was a serious fuck-up in high school and I never earned a diploma or a GED.

Now I'm applying to law schools with a GPA/LSAT that reads "admit" on everything at lawschoolpredictor (yeah, I know that it's not super-accurate for HYS, keeping my fingers crossed).

I'm very grateful that we live in a society that gives young folk 2nd chances. People can change.

EDIT: Just read the post directly above - We're equally uneducated (I'm also a post-sophomore year dropout). If I go to HLS we should start a club or something :D.

haha count me in! I am actually taking high school physics via correspondence while I finish my last semester at uni. Need to get caught up on some basic science :(

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:36 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

QFT. LSAT aside, anything more seems to be some bizarro dick-measuring contest, but what do I know.

Bizarro dick-measuring contest" describes most of higher education.

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:40 pm

T14 wrote:
drsomebody wrote:I was a serious fuck-up in high school and I never earned a diploma or a GED.

EDIT: Just read the post directly above - We're equally uneducated (I'm also a post-sophomore year dropout). If I go to HLS we should start a club or something :D.

haha count me in! I am actually taking high school physics via correspondence while I finish my last semester at uni. Need to get caught up on some basic science :(

Awesome. I sometimes do feel undereducated - the last math class I took was high school geometry and I've taken classes in college where I've had to seriously backtrack and teach myself simple math using library textbooks.

That geometry teacher (who was also the wrestling coach and made his homophobia towards me very clear) upon finding out that I was not coming back to high school the next year, told me, and I quote: "if you drop out of high school you'll never accomplish anything with your life." I guess I get the last laugh.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:37 pm

T14 wrote:

How come most,if not all, canadian applicants have above 4.0 gpa? Is the grading system different?

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:42 pm

I certainly lose to some people here, but I finished high school with a 2.25 and am now applying to schools with a 3.77/179. I had a lot of difficulty in high school with a medical condition and side effects from the medications I was on, but managed to turn things around just in time for it not to hurt my chances for law school, except when my GPA dipped sophomore year because of that condition.
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:43 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I certainly lose to some people here, but I had finished high school with a 2.25 and am now applying to schools with a 3.77/179. I had a lot of difficulty in high school with a medical condition and side effects from the medications I was on, but managed to turn things around just in time for it not to hurt my chances for law school, except when my GPA dipped sophomore year because of that condition.

:shock: Damn, dude, enjoy Harvard.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”