LOR question (going above the recommended number)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
soxfan78

LOR question (going above the recommended number)

Postby soxfan78 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:49 am

I have 3 LORs for a school that needs 2. My ringer LOR, however, isn't done yet. So should I wait to apply before that 3rd one is done or will the school wait if I say the LSAC is sending 3? This is *not* a school that asks the question about waiting for all your LORs. Any thoughts?

tigerlilly17

Re: LOR question (going above the recommended number)

Postby tigerlilly17 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:47 pm

I believe LSAC will not send the report until it has received ALL of the letters of recommendation you have assigned it. If you assigned 1, 2, and 3 to an application and LSAC hasn't gotten #3 yet, then LSAC will not send them a report until the LOR is received and processed. If you assigned just 1 and 2 and LSAC sends the application without 3, you (or your recommender) may have to forward 3 directly to the school. That is what my schools have told me. If you want the school to wait for the 3rd LOR, you may have to include an addendum requesting they hold off reviewing your app.

WrappedUpInBooks

Re: LOR question (going above the recommended number)

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:01 pm

I applied with only 2 of my 3 LORs, because my 3rd was being slow. I went complete at the schools I applied to, even though I had assigned the 3rd letter to them as well, and was even accepted to several before the 3rd letter made it to LSAC. After the 3rd letter posted to LSAC, it also automatically posted to schools' status checkers within a few days.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”