Shocking rejections

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Iuvo

Re: Shocking rejections

Postby Iuvo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:27 am

High schools are ranked nowadays?

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:29 am

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:34 am

Iuvo wrote:High schools are ranked nowadays?

I ddint know his either.. seems pretty useless. I am happy that mine is in the top 40 though, shame I didnt spend much time in class during high school. :( :(

Grond

Postby Grond » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:48 am

Yeah, it's Newsweek.

--LinkRemoved--

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 am

Grond wrote:

Yeah, it's Newsweek.

--LinkRemoved--

This is a lame, but reliable ploy to move magazines off the stand (a la the venerable U.S. News & World Report).

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:26 am

Rand M. wrote:
Grond wrote:

Yeah, it's Newsweek.

--LinkRemoved--

This is a lame, but reliable ploy to move magazines off the stand (a la the venerable U.S. News & World Report).

+1 wow

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:49 am

DCD wrote:

I ddint know his either.. seems pretty useless. I am happy that mine is in the top 40 though, shame I didnt spend much time in class during high school. :( :(

Interesting none of my city's 6 high schools are on it.
Last edited by newyorker88 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:51 am

Last cycle, I was rejected by UNC and Fordham PT with a 168/4.0.

ShiftyOne

Postby ShiftyOne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:00 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
DCD wrote:

Interesting none of my city's 6 high school are on it.

If nothing has changed in the last 5 years they do their rankings based solely on the number of ap tests taken per person in the graduating class.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:14 pm

ShiftyOne wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
DCD wrote:

If nothing has changed in the last 5 years they do their rankings based solely on the number of ap tests taken per person in the graduating class.

Some schools they just chose not to evaluate?

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:34 pm

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:43 pm

ShiftyOne wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
DCD wrote:

ROFL

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Iuvo wrote:
ShiftyOne wrote:

ROFL

He's not joking, that is literally how they do it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Iuvo wrote:
ShiftyOne wrote:

ROFL

So mine would have a 0 ranking then?

Holy shit, I went to Cooley High!

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:47 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Iuvo wrote:
ShiftyOne wrote:

ROFL

So mine would have a 0 ranking then?

Holy shit, I went to Cooley High!

Yeah that system is seriously flawed. I looked at some of the schools they considered top-ranked here in Massachusetts and had to laugh.

Chicklets

Postby Chicklets » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:41 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:my large public school (low T1 law school) has a chart of LSAT/GPA acceptance/rejections in their viewbook. In the "180/3.75+" column, there was one rejection . . . when I asked about it, apparently the applicant was just brilliant but a sociopath and his LOR writers had actually advised against letting him in.

Edit: I guess that isn't really what you meant because it wasn't really inexplicable given the circumstances, but you have to wonder what kind of person you have to be to get rejected from an alright law school with perfect numbers

Well, if the date on there was around 1973 it could have been Ted Bundy (serial killer) who did gain entrance at University of Puget Sound Law School (since the early 90's is now Seattle University).

Just sayin'.

BigA

Postby BigA » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:33 am

Chicklets wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:my large public school (low T1 law school) has a chart of LSAT/GPA acceptance/rejections in their viewbook. In the "180/3.75+" column, there was one rejection . . . when I asked about it, apparently the applicant was just brilliant but a sociopath and his LOR writers had actually advised against letting him in.

Edit: I guess that isn't really what you meant because it wasn't really inexplicable given the circumstances, but you have to wonder what kind of person you have to be to get rejected from an alright law school with perfect numbers

Well, if the date on there was around 1973 it could have been Ted Bundy (serial killer) who did gain entrance at University of Puget Sound Law School (since the early 90's is now Seattle University).

Just sayin'.

but he gained entrance...

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:42 am

It wasn't a rejection, but I got waitlisted at Marquette. This is odd considering IU Bloomington invited me to do an interview, and I've been accepted to Denver, Loyola Chicago, and St. Louis. Whatev.

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:42 am

rookhawk wrote:Here, in a chilling tale, I got more than rejected by a tier-14. I had my application discarded so it would not be considered. (no, no character and fitness issue or scandalous reasoning)

I'd be less vague if I wasn't under review at other schools right now and don't wish to provide so much detail I identify myself.

The things about me that may get me into a tier-1 at some schools are the very things that could get my application canned at others. How's that for "soft factors"?

In 2005 I was denied entry to a grad program at a regional nobody-ever-heard-of-em business school and accepted at a top-25. Thus is life. Ironically, I later became an adjunct for a term at the very place that denied me only 18 months earlier.

I guess its because I get up every morning and piss excellence. Some schools don't like that so much. :)

-
Last edited by knickfan on Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:02 am

scionb4 wrote:It wasn't a rejection, but I got waitlisted at Marquette. This is odd considering IU Bloomington invited me to do an interview, and I've been accepted to Denver, Loyola Chicago, and St. Louis. Whatev.

Looking at your list, that isn't shocking at all, even with IUB giving you a serious look. Marquette is a pretty good school.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:06 am

I guess the fact that my state does not have a single one of the top 1,300 high schools will add to my up-by-my-bootstraps story.

We didn't even have blackboards, and did math problems on birch bark!

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:36 am

bostonian wrote:
Yeah that system is seriously flawed. I looked at some of the schools they considered top-ranked here in Massachusetts and had to laugh.

Same here for Wisconsin. Some of the best public schools in the state are in the Green Bay area, and yet none of them make the list, and the top in Wisconsin is Rufus King in Milwaukee (easily considered the worst school system in the state)? Really?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 am

rookhawk wrote:Here, in a chilling tale, I got more than rejected by a tier-14. I had my application discarded so it would not be considered. (no, no character and fitness issue or scandalous reasoning)

I'd be less vague if I wasn't under review at other schools right now and don't wish to provide so much detail I identify myself.

The things about me that may get me into a tier-1 at some schools are the very things that could get my application canned at others. How's that for "soft factors"?

In 2005 I was denied entry to a grad program at a regional nobody-ever-heard-of-em business school and accepted at a top-25. Thus is life. Ironically, I later became an adjunct for a term at the very place that denied me only 18 months earlier.

I guess its because I get up every morning and piss excellence. Some schools don't like that so much. :)

ITT we learn what happens to people who write their PSs on their founding of the Benito Mussolini appreciation society.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:02 am

Rejected by Harvard, I couldn't believe it.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:26 am

my highschool was ranked 123!!! Hells yeah.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”