Shocking rejections

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bostonian

Re: Shocking rejections

Postby bostonian » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:31 am

hitmon33 wrote:UCLA rejected me for undergrad with a 4.35 GPA (4th in the high school class) and 35 ACT. Also, no red flags or anything on my resume or transcript. I was from San Diego too, so everyone was just really surprised.

Many of my friends with MUCH worse scores got into the school. It was really quite bizarre. I still think about it sometimes.

4.35 and you were 4th in the class? That had to have been weighted.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:36 am

kittenmittons wrote:
king3780 wrote:I tried to give a chick the shocker one time and was rejected.

Shocker is beta. Spocker is credited

roflmao

sparty11

Postby sparty11 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:37 am

I got rejected by Michigan out of high school with a 33 ACT and a 1590 SAT (out of 1600). I had like a 3.4 gpa, varsity sports, band, orchestra, Eagle Scout, the whole deal. I suspected that the teacher that wrote one of my LoRs secretly hated me. Also, I'm not a URM...that apparently counted against me. Ftl.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:40 am

sparty11 wrote:I got rejected by Michigan out of high school with a 33 ACT and a 1590 SAT (out of 1600). I had like a 3.4 gpa, varsity sports, band, orchestra, Eagle Scout, the whole deal. I suspected that the teacher that wrote one of my LoRs secretly hated me. Also, I'm not a URM...that apparently counted against me. Ftl.

Isn't 3.4 bad?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:42 am

Desert Fox wrote:
sparty11 wrote:I got rejected by Michigan out of high school with a 33 ACT and a 1590 SAT (out of 1600). I had like a 3.4 gpa, varsity sports, band, orchestra, Eagle Scout, the whole deal. I suspected that the teacher that wrote one of my LoRs secretly hated me. Also, I'm not a URM...that apparently counted against me. Ftl.

Isn't 3.4 bad?

Yeah, but those ACT/SAT scores are the equivalent of 179 LSAT. I guess he assumed he'd do well as a splitter. Oops.

sparty11

Postby sparty11 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:44 am

lol...and I was a splitter once again for my law school apps!

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:45 am

BigA wrote:No. Thanks for sharing. I'm a bit surprised his references would send letters like that though. Wouldn't you think they would just decline when the guy came to them to write a LOR, if they felt that way? Guy must be scary crazy

I would guess evil rather than crazy. Declining to write a reference is TCR when the person is lazy, inefficient, unstable, or stupid, but if someone is really and truly a sociopath, I can see the rationale behind intentionally holding them back in life.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:48 am

sparty11 wrote:lol...and I was a splitter once again for my law school apps!

Luckily for us splitters do better at law school admissions.

BTW what kind (and how long) of work experience did you have to get that NU admit. That's some epic splitter win.

sparty11

Postby sparty11 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:58 am

Desert Fox wrote:

BTW what kind (and how long) of work experience did you have to get that NU admit. That's some epic splitter win.

3 yrs working with juvenile delinquents.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 am

bostonian wrote:
hitmon33 wrote:UCLA rejected me for undergrad with a 4.35 GPA (4th in the high school class) and 35 ACT. Also, no red flags or anything on my resume or transcript. I was from San Diego too, so everyone was just really surprised.

Many of my friends with MUCH worse scores got into the school. It was really quite bizarre. I still think about it sometimes.

i don't know about this person's school, but at mine (also in CA) an A in an AP class was worth 5 points, a B was 4, etc. so if you got 3 As in AP classes and 3 Bs in regular classes, you got a 4.5. i got a 4.83 one year.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:13 am

boilercat wrote:Not law school, but this is a 100% true story

I was a slacker in HS, had like a 3.5 with a lot of As but a lot of really shitty grades on my transcript. But I had a 34 ACT.

I got rejected by my state university whereas some of my classmates with similar GPAs and essays but far worse test scores got in. Mind you, this was around the time they were supposedly letting in kids with connections. (Now you know which state school I'm talking about)

One of my buddies who was a year my junior went to one of their admissions info sessions and applied the following year. He said the adcomm told the group about a 34 ACT they rejected the previous year (i.e., they were making an example out of me). He said he gave the adcomm a total mindfuck when he went up to her after the session and asked her if she was talking about me.

To this day I have a vendetta against that fucking school, because I definitely would have gone there had they not rejected my ass. Fortunately, I eventually ended up at a much better school.

Illinois rejected me too back in the day! I had a lot of fun writing out "University of Chicago" on my "where are you going to school?" comment card that I had to send to them...

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:49 am

sparty11 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

3 yrs working with juvenile delinquents.

building up a future client base?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:50 am

I'm a native Illinoisan (3.76 out of 4.0, 33 ACT, sports, academic bowl, 1st place in every regional WYSE and ICTM comp, Eagle Scout, like 4 pages of legitimate activities) and I was rejected from Yale (actually got an interview and bombed it hardcore), Northwestern and U. of Chicago, and was stupid enough not to apply to any in-between schools. Needless to say, my UG is not the strongest portion of my law school app. I still have nightmares where I replay the Yale interview over and over.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:53 am

kwhitegocubs wrote:I'm a native Illinoisan (3.76 out of 4.0, 33 ACT, sports, academic bowl, 1st place in every regional WYSE and ICTM comp, Eagle Scout, like 4 pages of legitimate activities) and I was rejected from Yale (actually got an interview and bombed it hardcore), Northwestern and U. of Chicago, and was stupid enough not to apply to any in-between schools. Needless to say, my UG is not the strongest portion of my law school app. I still have nightmares where I replay the Yale interview over and over.

Were you on scholastic bowl?!? What year did you graduate High School. Where did you end up at for UG?

fonzerelli

Postby fonzerelli » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:54 am

Several years ago I visited a friend in LA and we went to a bar in Hollywood. I then noticed Rebecca Gayheart with a relatively small entourage of 3-4 eccentric LA hipster types. I walked over to her and said, "oh hey, I really admire your work." (note: I don't know any of her work aside from old noxema commercials) We briefly chatted and she did NOT accept my offer to buy her a drink. This was a shocking rejection because I went so far as to say I admired her shitty work. She sucks.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:00 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:I'm a native Illinoisan (3.76 out of 4.0, 33 ACT, sports, academic bowl, 1st place in every regional WYSE and ICTM comp, Eagle Scout, like 4 pages of legitimate activities) and I was rejected from Yale (actually got an interview and bombed it hardcore), Northwestern and U. of Chicago, and was stupid enough not to apply to any in-between schools. Needless to say, my UG is not the strongest portion of my law school app. I still have nightmares where I replay the Yale interview over and over.

Were you on scholastic bowl?!? What year did you graduate High School. Where did you end up at for UG?

Yeah, we won regionals over a team that had won it like 16 straight years (Winnebago H.S.), but lost in sectionals. Graduated 2003. Ended up at Drake U. for a year, then Western Illinois for my degree. Yes, that's right, I'm a leatherneck! :mrgreen: I felt I got a good education there, but "directional schools" never sound good on a resume.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:02 am

kwhitegocubs wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah, we won regionals over a team that had won it like 16 straight years (Winnebago H.S.), but lost in sectionals. Graduated 2003. Ended up at Drake U. for a year, then Western Illinois for my degree. Yes, that's right, I'm a leatherneck! :mrgreen: I felt I got a good education there, but "directional schools" never sound good on a resume.

My brother goes to Western, he likes it.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:06 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

My brother goes to Western, he likes it.

Yeah, there are a lot of nice things about it - the campus is enormous for the number of students, the rec center is amazing, and it's a nice little town. The professors themselves were of a very high quality in my department (favorite professors were from Northwestern and Penn respectively). I never applied to Illinois simply because the enrollment seemed too large and made me think it would be sort of an anonymous experience, even though I'm about the biggest Fighting Illini fan around and would have loved to be in the Krush. 4-0 in the Big Ten!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 am

hmlee wrote:
boilercat wrote:Not law school, but this is a 100% true story

I was a slacker in HS, had like a 3.5 with a lot of As but a lot of really shitty grades on my transcript. But I had a 34 ACT.

I got rejected by my state university whereas some of my classmates with similar GPAs and essays but far worse test scores got in. Mind you, this was around the time they were supposedly letting in kids with connections. (Now you know which state school I'm talking about)

One of my buddies who was a year my junior went to one of their admissions info sessions and applied the following year. He said the adcomm told the group about a 34 ACT they rejected the previous year (i.e., they were making an example out of me). He said he gave the adcomm a total mindfuck when he went up to her after the session and asked her if she was talking about me.

To this day I have a vendetta against that fucking school, because I definitely would have gone there had they not rejected my ass. Fortunately, I eventually ended up at a much better school.

Illinois rejected me too back in the day! I had a lot of fun writing out "University of Chicago" on my "where are you going to school?" comment card that I had to send to them...

hahaha that's awesome. (i ended up at the school in your avatar after spending my freshman year at another big ten school). fuck illinois :mrgreen:

lots of IL natives in this thread...

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:39 am

I got rejected from NYU (and all the top 25 UG programs I applied to, but those were less surprising) with a one-take 1480 SAT and ranked 4th from a top 30 HS. My school was in shock that I went to the TTT that I ended up at.

ShiftyOne

Postby ShiftyOne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:47 am

rw2264 wrote:
bostonian wrote:

i don't know about this person's school, but at mine (also in CA) an A in an AP class was worth 5 points, a B was 4, etc. so if you got 3 As in AP classes and 3 Bs in regular classes, you got a 4.5. i got a 4.83 one year.

That's how my school worked too. Ended with a 4.5 and still was only 5th in the class. It's a pretty dumb way to do it in my opinion, we ended up taking study halls and non-graded classes because normal classes would hurt our grades.

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:06 am

I loved AP classes. Not exceptionally harder than normal classes, GPA boosters, and prepared you for a test that got you out of college classes. AP classes were the best decision I made in HS.

Oh, and no shocking rejections for me yet.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:10 am

ShiftyOne wrote:
rw2264 wrote:
bostonian wrote:

That's how my school worked too. Ended with a 4.5 and still was only 5th in the class. It's a pretty dumb way to do it in my opinion, we ended up taking study halls and non-graded classes because normal classes would hurt our grades.

At my Highschool (T50 public) they did it like this: AP/College Courses = 6.00, Honors = 5.00, Regular = 4.00. Taking Regular AND Honor courses hurt my GPA... I think I had like a 5.8 Junior and Senior year.

Thus shocking rejections from the T3 UGs with a 5.3+ GPA (Valedictorian Rank 1 out of 400) and 1580 LSAT + decent/good softs. Oh wait, I'm Asian, guess its not too shocking after all :lol: Things turned out fine though.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:18 am

I hope everyone bragging about their 9.0 high school GPAs realize that like LSAC, any real college will re-weigh your HS gpa using their own metrics (i.e., no college cares that you took "honors geography" in high school).

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:28 am

hoopsguy6 wrote:I hope everyone bragging about their 9.0 high school GPAs realize that like LSAC, any real college will re-weigh your HS gpa using their own metrics (i.e., no college cares that you took "honors geography" in high school).

Oh, I know our high school GPAs were clearly inflated, just providing context for some disappointing rejections. But still I did get straight A's thru 10 AP courses and 6 college courses at a Top 30 College in high school. Couldn't overcome that -210 SAT score they tacked on.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”