Shocking rejections

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
utilitarianjac

Re: Shocking rejections

Postby utilitarianjac » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
utilitarianjac wrote:WUSTL rejected me by email three weeks after I had started 1L.

I had a 170/4.00.

Did you go to some unaccredited christian school? Because that is insane with those numbers.

I thought it was insane too. I opened the email while in class and couldn't help but laugh out loud.

For some reason, I went complete there much later than everywhere else. After getting placed on the waitlist, I didn't hear anything from them for a long time. I didn't think anything of it since I committed somewhere else. Then they send me a rejection notice after school had started. Did they not think I had figured it out by then?

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
BigA wrote:No. Thanks for sharing. I'm a bit surprised his references would send letters like that though. Wouldn't you think they would just decline when the guy came to them to write a LOR, if they felt that way? Guy must be scary crazy

Not necessarily crazy. Douchenozzles make enemies, and there's nothing better than screwing someone you find arrogant or condescending.

Or they were scared to say no.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:31 pm

Any girl who ever told me no

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
gocubs2010 wrote:I got rejected from Notre Dame out of high school. I had like a 3.7, and a 1480 on the old SAT. I went to catholic school, I'm from Indiana, and my letters of recommendation were from my teachers that went to Notre Dame. One was written by my physics teacher who wrote around 50 letters for people to go to notre dame through the years, and I was the first one to ever be rejected. I would have gone there for sure if I got in. They never did give me an answer as to why. The worst part of it is I knew people in my graduating class with 2.5 gpa's and 1000 sat scores who got in because of their family connections.

ND is very overrated. Where did you end up?

overrated, perhaps. but it was my childhood dream and lifelong aspiration, and the reason I took all those fucking ap classes and tests. of course I graduated from high school in 1998, so I long since got over it. i went to butler. smaller private school in indianapolis.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
boilercat wrote:
BigA wrote:
One of my buddies who was a year my junior went to one of their admissions info sessions and applied the following year. He said the adcomm told the group about a 34 ACT they rejected the previous year (i.e., they were making an example out of me). He said he gave the adcomm a total mindfuck when he went up to her after the session and asked her if she was talking about me.

Any explanation for why?

I actually happened to be there a month after I got rejected and went to the admissions office. They gave me some bullshit about my grades/transcript. Which really couldn't have been THAT bad else I wouldn't have gotten into a top school the following year as a transfer with only middling grades from my freshman year.

What was your class rank? UIUC uses class rank and ACT as pretty much the only factors in admissions. Also which college did you apply to. Engineering, and Business are more selective than LAS.

Don't know, I went to a really small school and I don't think I was given one because I didn't spend all four years there. I applied to Business but they said they considered me for LAS too.

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Not nearly as shocking as a 34 getting dinged by ND but UF rejected me with a 1350 SAT and 4.3 GPA. I've had a burning hatred for them ever since.

BC2010

Postby BC2010 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:19 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:WUSTL rejected me by email three weeks after I had started 1L.

I had a 170/4.00.

I bet they were cleaning the office and found your app behind the cabinate where it fell off of the auto-admit pile...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:23 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:I thought it was insane too. I opened the email while in class and couldn't help but laugh out loud.

This was about my reaction when Northwestern sent me a reject E-mail that I got while in my second week of classes at UVA.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Bulls wrote:Not nearly as shocking as a 34 getting dinged by ND but UF rejected me with a 1350 SAT and 4.3 GPA. I've had a burning hatred for them ever since.

i couldn't crack top-30 UG's with my 3.7/1550... still a little bitter, but it feels so good to get into law schools where i was dinged for UG.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:31 pm

I don't remember the exact numbers, but awhile back when I was searching splitters on LSN to figure out where to apply I remember seeing a 3.1, 172 type that blanketed 15-20 schools with apps and got WL'ed at Oklahoma. It may have been YP though.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:40 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I don't remember the exact numbers, but awhile back when I was searching splitters on LSN to figure out where to apply I remember seeing a 3.1, 172 type that blanketed 15-20 schools with apps and got WL'ed at Oklahoma. It may have been YP though.

That may be YP, but you can never be sure with splitters. Many schools have GPA standards. And a 171 to OK means as much as a 160 because anything over the 75% doesn't matter. That's also why splitters rarely get huge scholarship's, even to T2's.

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:59 pm

I was rejected from a PhD program at Carnegie Mellon. I'm not surprised that I was rejected, but I was surprised by the letter itself. It was obviously a typed form letter, but had SEVERAL blatend errors. Some of these "errors" had been scribbled out, then "corrected" in pen. It was just weird. It was like they were rejecting me, while saying "You aren't even worth our clerical staffs' time."

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:40 pm

nahgems wrote:I was rejected from a PhD program at Carnegie Mellon. I'm not surprised that I was rejected, but I was surprised by the letter itself. It was obviously a typed form letter, but had SEVERAL blatend errors. Some of these "errors" had been scribbled out, then "corrected" in pen. It was just weird. It was like they were rejecting me, while saying "You aren't even worth our clerical staffs' time."

Errors must have been really "blatend" for you to pick up on them :roll: .

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:49 pm

I wasn't really offended by the typos (clearly I make them all time). It was just weird that they scribbled them out and corrected them in pen instead of reprinting the letter. I've never had a job that would send professional communication with scribbles and corrections on it.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:56 pm

This one night in college I was totally wasted at a bar and decided to hit on a fat chick. Not supre fat, but fat enough.... Well wouldn't ya know it; she shot me down. I was shocked.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:02 pm

reasonable_man wrote:This one night in college I was totally wasted at a bar and decided to hit on a fat chick. Not supre fat, but fat enough.... Well wouldn't ya know it; she shot me down. I was shocked.

forget about it, dude, it was YP

jacko

Postby jacko » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:25 pm

My tier 1 state school rejected me out of high school and douchebags with much lower #'s got in so I too have a vendetta against the school. They have a good law school but I refuse to attend because if I wasn't good enough for they then, I'm sure as hell not good enough for them now.In addition to the fact that I have much higher numbers that their medians

king3780

Postby king3780 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:31 pm

I tried to give a chick the shocker one time and was rejected.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:32 pm

king3780 wrote:I tried to give a chick the shocker one time and was rejected.

Shocker is beta. Spocker is credited

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:32 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
king3780 wrote:I tried to give a chick the shocker one time and was rejected.

Shocker is beta. Spocker is credited

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Rejected at American with 3.95+ / 171.
I didn't come across as a jerk in my PS.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:43 pm

frankjones wrote:Rejected at American with 3.95+ / 171.
I didn't come across as a jerk in my PS.

They did you a favor.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Bulls wrote:Not nearly as shocking as a 34 getting dinged by ND but UF rejected me with a 1350 SAT and 4.3 GPA. I've had a burning hatred for them ever since.

Were you applying in state or out of state?

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:58 pm

My dog turned down beer! He used to be an alcoholic until I cut him off the sauce because he almost died, for real I went to the bathroom and he chugged my whole glass of scotch-he only weighs 15lbs and he passed out for like two hours.

BigA

Postby BigA » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:22 am

while we're at it, I applied to a pretty easy Master's program at my alma mater. I did okay on most sections of the GRE -- about average or better, which was all I needed to do. I got those scores right away. Then I was just waiting on the writing portion. That was the section I felt I did the best on. I thought I nailed the two questions and I write well, so I thought I'd get a 5 or maybe a perfect score (6). I got 2.5 on the two questions combined -- a horrible score -- something like bottom 6 percentile.

I'll never know why I scored so low. My suspicion is somehow one of my answers got lost, or I made a mistake submitting it (it's done a on a computer). Because 2.5 is at least what I expected on EACH question.

So obviously I got rejected. I'm not overly upset about it now. I don't even know what I'd be doing

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”