Shocking rejections

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rookhawk

Re: Shocking rejections

Postby rookhawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:30 pm

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Now I'm very curious. I can't think of anything that would cause your application to be trashed without review.

I guess we'll just have to wait until this cycle is over and you spill the beans.

Whatever it is, it better be interesting! I'll be disappointed if the "secret" is something like you're a Christmas tree farmer.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:06 pm

How can you tell when your application is discarded without review?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 pm

hsprophet wrote:Now I'm very curious. I can't think of anything that would cause your application to be trashed without review.

I guess we'll just have to wait until this cycle is over and you spill the beans.

Whatever it is, it better be interesting! I'll be disappointed if the "secret" is something like you're a Christmas tree farmer.

I'm thinking he is a Marxist Communist. If so he is in good company.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:12 pm

rookhawk wrote:Here, in a chilling tale, I got more than rejected by a tier-14. I had my application discarded so it would not be considered. (no, no character and fitness issue or scandalous reasoning)

I call BS. Even if your application was "discarded so it would not be considered", how would you know that happened?

Also, WTF is Tier-14? TTT and FTT is pretty damn bad, a fourteenth tier would be like... Borat's Kazhakistan Authentic Bagels And School For People Who Want To Practice Law.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rookhawk wrote:Here, in a chilling tale, I got more than rejected by a tier-14. I had my application discarded so it would not be considered. (no, no character and fitness issue or scandalous reasoning)

I call BS. Even if your application was "discarded so it would not be considered", how would you know that happened?

Also, WTF is Tier-14? TTT and FTT is pretty damn bad, a fourteenth tier would be like... Borat's Kazhakistan Authentic Bagels And School For People Who Want To Practice Law.

All I have to say is.... I love bagels and I would gladly attend that school if they gave me a sizable scholarship and daily bagel stipend.

BearDownChicago

Postby BearDownChicago » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Here he is. I missed you vanwinkle. Back at it again. Bashing someone for calling it tier-14 and not t-14. Boo hoo :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

gochrisgo

Postby gochrisgo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:19 pm

_
Last edited by gochrisgo on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:19 pm

BearDownChicago wrote:Here he is. I missed you vanwinkle. Back at it again. Bashing someone for calling it tier-14 and not t-14. Boo hoo :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

"Here he is"? Dude, I'm making like 50 posts per day on here, if you can't find me then you kind of suck at stalking.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
BearDownChicago wrote:Here he is. I missed you vanwinkle. Back at it again. Bashing someone for calling it tier-14 and not t-14. Boo hoo :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

"Here he is"? Dude, I'm making like 50 posts per day on here, if you can't find me then you kind of suck at stalking.

:lol:

BearDownChicago

Postby BearDownChicago » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote: Dude, I'm making like 50 posts per day on here

The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have a problem.

Go to TLS rehab. Go directly to TLS rehab. Do not pass go. Do not collect fee waiver.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:33 pm

BearDownChicago wrote:

Go to TLS rehab. Go directly to TLS rehab. Do not pass go. Do not collect fee waiver.

You should take your own advice, dude. I'm not the one logging onto TLS just to stalk someone that pissed them off many threads ago. Looks like your past 5 or 6 posts have all been you stalking me and attempting (but failing) to bring me down. I hope you're not this much of a pathetic waste of flesh in the rest of your life.

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 pm

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:56 pm

rookhawk wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:How can you tell when your application is discarded without review?

Because they call or email you and say "we're discarding your application without review". This is done in order to prevent a committee from admitting someone the Dean of Admissions patently doesn't want in their program for some idealogical reason. (their ideology, not mine)

Interesting that people assumed communism and fascism for reasons, yet those reasons seem much more compatible with the modern university system's style than other ideals. If I was a communist or anarchist I could have had Bill Ayers write a LOR and gotten in to several top programs. Go fish.

Wait. So they called you just to tell you they won't review your app? Who the hell do you have to be to get that kind of treatment?

Marcus Epstein, is that you?

BearDownChicago

Postby BearDownChicago » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
BearDownChicago wrote:

You should take your own advice, dude. I'm not the one logging onto TLS just to stalk someone that pissed them off many threads ago. Looks like your past 5 or 6 posts have all been you stalking me and attempting (but failing) to bring me down. I hope you're not this much of a pathetic waste of flesh in the rest of your life.

I want to be you. Is that so hard?

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 pm

-

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 pm

No, definitely not Marcus Epstein. No racism or accusations thereof over here. Technically speaking I'm a URM even though I do not appear to be one by a random roll of genetic dice. No major involvement in a PAC either. And unlike Epstein, I'm not a foreign policy non-interventionalist in my personal beliefs.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:25 am

FTR, what kind of applicant do adcomms consider to be a risk, in spite of his/her numbers?

Steven Perry

Postby Steven Perry » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:42 am

While not a rejection on the part of any university, my idiot step brother apparently rejected the use of his potential. He had a 4.0+ in high school, then a 36 on the ACT, a near perfect score on the SAT, and ended up going to West Virginia University. Now I was a huge slacker in high school, my dad doesn't make much money and they offered me a very generous amount, so I understand why I went to WVU, but he has no excuse.

Granted he also went on to almost drop out of a graduate program at the University Of Pittsburgh to work a menial job for Campus Crusade for Christ, and only finished when my step dad finally threatened to cut him off. Such a waste.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:50 am

From high school, rejected from Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, Cornell, Amherst, Williams and Swarthmore (WL -> Reject at the last five) with a 4.0 GPA (in a strict 4.0 system, no possibility for a higher GPA) and a 2320 SAT (out of 2400, obviously; a 1530 w/o Writing), and from one of the top 19 public high schools in the country, the ones on Newsweek's "public elites" list. I have no idea what happened. One of my LOR writers was my HS's head of admissions (for the high school) in addition to my AP Chem teacher, and he was completely floored--he had never had anyone be rejected from anywhere short of HYP with a recommendation he wrote.

I did apply at the deadline, though; I didn't know any better.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:01 am

BenJ wrote:From high school, rejected from Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, Cornell, Amherst, Williams and Swarthmore (WL -> Reject at the last five) with a 4.0 GPA (in a strict 4.0 system, no possibility for a higher GPA) and a 2320 SAT (out of 2400, obviously; a 1530 w/o Writing), and from one of the top 19 public high schools in the country, the ones on Newsweek's "public elites" list. I have no idea what happened. One of my LOR writers was my HS's head of admissions (for the high school) in addition to my AP Chem teacher, and he was completely floored--he had never had anyone be rejected from anywhere short of HYP with a recommendation he wrote.

Lol, if you're even for real, I can tell you right now why you got rejected.

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 am

BenJ wrote:From high school, rejected from Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, Cornell, Amherst, Williams and Swarthmore (WL -> Reject at the last five) with a 4.0 GPA (in a strict 4.0 system, no possibility for a higher GPA) and a 2320 SAT (out of 2400, obviously; a 1530 w/o Writing), and from one of the top 19 public high schools in the country, the ones on Newsweek's "public elites" list. I have no idea what happened. One of my LOR writers was my HS's head of admissions (for the high school) in addition to my AP Chem teacher, and he was completely floored--he had never had anyone be rejected from anywhere short of HYP with a recommendation he wrote.

Hate to break it to you but you're probably a douchebag or not douchey enough (depending on the school you're applying to).

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:33 am

-

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:50 am

rookhawk wrote:Regarding the previous post: I'd think with his stats that he didn't take his personal statements and essays seriously. Or more to the point, his soft-skills and personality were sorely absent from his applications.

I definitely didn't fully understand the importance of the PS at the time: not in terms of writing a good one, but in terms of presenting a story. I'm awful at writing about myself. I've improved enough to have written a decent PS for law school, but I used to simply stare at the page and have no idea of anything to say. I think part of my problem was a lack of focus at the time, too, since I had a fair degree of diversity in softs but nothing remotely resembling any sort of theme and no leadership positions. I mean, it's not like I don't know that I made those sorts of mistakes on my apps, it just seems in retrospect surprising that the numbers didn't mitigate it somewhat at some of the schools listed (I did get into others of similar caliber to some, so the list is not fully representative). I certainly didn't do anything douchey on the applications--not even close.

I did screw up the Yale alumni interview, though, in rather spectacular fashion. It's one of the things that still really embarrasses me, actually. So that rejection was understandable if a bit stinging anyway. I have a bad habit of saying things ranging from the stupid to the downright moronic without thinking about it.

Anyway, I think I ended up being a good fit for the school I ended up at, so any ill-will is merely nerves brought back up by the stress of law school apps.

On an aside, there was a girl from my HS who was rejected from NYU but accepted at Princeton. She was an amazing singer, so Princeton may have been looking for singing talent. I don't know her numbers to say if she was otherwise Princeton caliber or at a level at which it was reasonable for NYU to reject her, so it could be either a surprising rejection or a surprising acceptance.
Last edited by BenJ on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”