Shocking rejections

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigA

Shocking rejections

Postby BigA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:56 am

I remember when I was first thinking about law school and contacting different schools. Someone from the University of Wyoming told me they rejected someone with a 170 LSAT score. She said the guy came off as really arrogant in his PS and they wouldn't want someone like him in their program (Her point being that Wyoming is not just about numbers. They take the whole person into account).

So I'm wondering what other stories people have about rejections that just seem to defy logic. Also if you could explain or venture a guess as to the reason for this rejection, please do. It could help others from making the same mistake.

amputatedbrain

Re: Shocking rejections

Postby amputatedbrain » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:24 am

my large public school (low T1 law school) has a chart of LSAT/GPA acceptance/rejections in their viewbook. In the "180/3.75+" column, there was one rejection . . . when I asked about it, apparently the applicant was just brilliant but a sociopath and his LOR writers had actually advised against letting him in.

Edit: I guess that isn't really what you meant because it wasn't really inexplicable given the circumstances, but you have to wonder what kind of person you have to be to get rejected from an alright law school with perfect numbers

BigA

Postby BigA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:37 am

amputatedbrain wrote:my large public school (low T1 law school) has a chart of LSAT/GPA acceptance/rejections in their viewbook. In the "180/3.75+" column, there was one rejection . . . when I asked about it, apparently the applicant was just brilliant but a sociopath and his LOR writers had actually advised against letting him in.

Edit: I guess that isn't really what you meant because it wasn't really inexplicable given the circumstances, but you have to wonder what kind of person you have to be to get rejected from an alright law school with perfect numbers

No. Thanks for sharing. I'm a bit surprised his references would send letters like that though. Wouldn't you think they would just decline when the guy came to them to write a LOR, if they felt that way? Guy must be scary crazy

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:38 am

amputatedbrain wrote:my large public school (low T1 law school) has a chart of LSAT/GPA acceptance/rejections in their viewbook. In the "180/3.75+" column, there was one rejection . . . when I asked about it, apparently the applicant was just brilliant but a sociopath and his LOR writers had actually advised against letting him in.

Note to self: do not ask for letters of recommendation from people who think that I am a sociopath.

BigA

Postby BigA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:43 am

Dignan wrote:

Note to self: do not ask for letters of recommendation from people who think that I am a sociopath.

That's what's funny too. Guy musta thought these were the two best people to write him a good letter :lol: I wonder what other people that know him would say

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:44 am

BigA wrote:No. Thanks for sharing. I'm a bit surprised his references would send letters like that though. Wouldn't you think they would just decline when the guy came to them to write a LOR, if they felt that way? Guy must be scary crazy

Not necessarily crazy. Douchenozzles make enemies, and there's nothing better than screwing someone you find arrogant or condescending.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:17 am

Not law school, but this is a 100% true story

I was a slacker in HS, had like a 3.5 with a lot of As but a lot of really shitty grades on my transcript. But I had a 34 ACT.

I got rejected by my state university whereas some of my classmates with similar GPAs and essays but far worse test scores got in. Mind you, this was around the time they were supposedly letting in kids with connections. (Now you know which state school I'm talking about)

One of my buddies who was a year my junior went to one of their admissions info sessions and applied the following year. He said the adcomm told the group about a 34 ACT they rejected the previous year (i.e., they were making an example out of me). He said he gave the adcomm a total mindfuck when he went up to her after the session and asked her if she was talking about me.

To this day I have a vendetta against that fucking school, because I definitely would have gone there had they not rejected my ass. Fortunately, I eventually ended up at a much better school.

BigA

Postby BigA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:27 am

One of my buddies who was a year my junior went to one of their admissions info sessions and applied the following year. He said the adcomm told the group about a 34 ACT they rejected the previous year (i.e., they were making an example out of me). He said he gave the adcomm a total mindfuck when he went up to her after the session and asked her if she was talking about me.

Any explanation for why?

Makes me wonder... anyone reading this get rejected from Wyoming with a 170? :mrgreen:

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:32 am

BigA wrote:

Any explanation for why?

I actually happened to be there a month after I got rejected and went to the admissions office. They gave me some bullshit about my grades/transcript. Which really couldn't have been THAT bad else I wouldn't have gotten into a top school the following year as a transfer with only middling grades from my freshman year.

hitmon33

Postby hitmon33 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:49 am

UCLA rejected me for undergrad with a 4.35 GPA (4th in the high school class) and 35 ACT. Also, no red flags or anything on my resume or transcript. I was from San Diego too, so everyone was just really surprised.

Many of my friends with MUCH worse scores got into the school. It was really quite bizarre. I still think about it sometimes.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:00 am

hitmon33 wrote:UCLA rejected me for undergrad with a 4.35 GPA (4th in the high school class) and 35 ACT. Also, no red flags or anything on my resume or transcript. I was from San Diego too, so everyone was just really surprised.

Many of my friends with MUCH worse scores got into the school. It was really quite bizarre. I still think about it sometimes.

That's absurd, but at least you got rejected by a fairly selective school and that school wasn't involved in giving away spots to unqualified politically connected applicants.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:33 am

Dignan wrote:

Good job on strategic replacement of "know" with "think" ;)
I think you and I share the same thoughts on at least ONE specific school's application process. I kept thinking perhaps it was an LOR problem but then I got accepted with the same LORs at Cal. I don't know why but I personally feel I'll soon be a good example for this thread.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 am

Anyone who gets rejected from Cooley.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 am

UIUC denied my friend with a 35 ACT.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:50 am

boilercat wrote:
BigA wrote:

Any explanation for why?

I actually happened to be there a month after I got rejected and went to the admissions office. They gave me some bullshit about my grades/transcript. Which really couldn't have been THAT bad else I wouldn't have gotten into a top school the following year as a transfer with only middling grades from my freshman year.

What was your class rank? UIUC uses class rank and ACT as pretty much the only factors in admissions. Also which college did you apply to. Engineering, and Business are more selective than LAS.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 am

BigA wrote:I remember when I was first thinking about law school and contacting different schools. Someone from the University of Wyoming told me they rejected someone with a 170 LSAT score. She said the guy came off as really arrogant in his PS and they wouldn't want someone like him in their program (Her point being that Wyoming is not just about numbers. They take the whole person into account).

So I'm wondering what other stories people have about rejections that just seem to defy logic. Also if you could explain or venture a guess as to the reason for this rejection, please do. It could help others from making the same mistake.

There's a story in How to Get Into Top Law Schools about Berkeley rejecting a near perfect LSAT/GPA because the applicant was boring or two dimensional.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:01 pm

JOThompson wrote:There's a story in How to Get Into Top Law Schools about Berkeley rejecting a near perfect LSAT/GPA because the applicant was boring or two dimensional.

Berkely hates flat applicants.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:07 pm

oneforship wrote:
JOThompson wrote:There's a story in How to Get Into Top Law Schools about Berkeley rejecting a near perfect LSAT/GPA because the applicant was boring or two dimensional.

LoL, plus Flatland-inhabitants are probably unable to get a Visa.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:
oneforship wrote:

LoL, plus Flatland-inhabitants are probably unable to get a Visa.

:lol:

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 pm

I got rejected from Notre Dame out of high school. I had like a 3.7, and a 1480 on the old SAT. I went to catholic school, I'm from Indiana, and my letters of recommendation were from my teachers that went to Notre Dame. One was written by my physics teacher who wrote around 50 letters for people to go to notre dame through the years, and I was the first one to ever be rejected. I would have gone there for sure if I got in. They never did give me an answer as to why. The worst part of it is I knew people in my graduating class with 2.5 gpa's and 1000 sat scores who got in because of their family connections.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 pm

ontologyfail wrote:Anyone who gets rejected from Cooley.

hey, they are a top 10 school, man, just look at their rankings

MTC87

Postby MTC87 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 pm

rejected by dartmouth out of HS...haha yeah right chumps

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:07 pm

gocubs2010 wrote:I got rejected from Notre Dame out of high school. I had like a 3.7, and a 1480 on the old SAT. I went to catholic school, I'm from Indiana, and my letters of recommendation were from my teachers that went to Notre Dame. One was written by my physics teacher who wrote around 50 letters for people to go to notre dame through the years, and I was the first one to ever be rejected. I would have gone there for sure if I got in. They never did give me an answer as to why. The worst part of it is I knew people in my graduating class with 2.5 gpa's and 1000 sat scores who got in because of their family connections.

ND is very overrated. Where did you end up?

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:09 pm

WUSTL rejected me by email three weeks after I had started 1L.

I had a 170/4.00.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:WUSTL rejected me by email three weeks after I had started 1L.

I had a 170/4.00.

Did you go to some unaccredited christian school? Because that is insane with those numbers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”