(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Swamp Monster

Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:23 pm


Postby Swamp Monster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:25 pm

I "underachieved" on the December LSAT and got a 163 when I had been averaging around a 170. I'm retaking in February hoping to get up to that average. I need to do well considering my gpa is an not so pretty 2.68. I've applied to the schools I think I have a good shot at with the 163 score, and the ones that have a March 1, deadline. However, I held off on applying to Cardozo's May program, St. John's, Tulane, Brooklyn, and Fordham (Pt) because they have later deadlines and I'm confident I'll do better in February.

Obviously the best thing would be to get in earlier, and the worst outcome would be to get dinged. Is the risk of getting dinged because they focus on the December score a possibility or will they hold off to see the February score. I'm inclined to wait until the first week of February to apply as of now, but is there a reason I'm missing why it would be smart to to apply now even though my 163 is not going to get me in? If they definitely will just place it on hold I'm inclined to think it doesn't matter much either way.

Thanks and look forward to any thoughts or advice people have.

User avatar

Posts: 760
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm


Postby scribelaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 pm

I can only speak from personal experience -- I applied to a bunch of schools after a similarly crappy Sept. LSAT and let them all know I was retaking. Everywhere just held my application until my December score came in.

In your case, it might be good to get the apps in in the next few weeks with a note that you're a February retaker. At this point, it is what it is. You'll be a very late-cycle applicant, but if you hit that 170 you've been practicing at, you'll be in decent shape at all the schools on your list, I'd have to think.

User avatar

Posts: 307
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm


Postby zreinhar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Im in the same situation now. Unless the school blatantly says that they do not accept the Feb score, call them and ask. Alot of schools with early Feb deadlines are holding my app for the Feb score, note that I both called them and wrote an email to admissions just to be sure. I am around upper 160s myself and managed to get a 155 on the Dec. test.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests