Weighing my options

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brickman

Weighing my options

Postby brickman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 pm

So here is where I am at. I've taken the LSAT twice (157, 154), obviously I am rather unhappy with these scores when compared to my 3.7 GPA. I've gotten into Chi-Kent and Depaul thus far, and am waiting to hear back from L&C, UofI, Iowa, Wisc, and Penn State.

I don't really need to worry about financing law school so much (super parents), but I don't want to to head to a tier 2 law school only to not get in top 10%. I suppose it is still a possibility that I could get into some of my tier-1 schools, but it is rather unlikely.

The other option would be to not attend law school next year, refocus on taking the LSAT in september and trying to do as well as possible. Some of my pt were 162-165, so I feel confident about my ability to do well on the exam. There is always the possibility that I bomb this exam too and I end up with three poopy scores (I hear law schools are not such a fan of this). Not to mention I would have a whole lot of time on my hands after taking the exam (I suppose I could just enjoy the hell out of my time and travel?).

What would you do. Please give good suggestions (Also suggest methods and means of studying if possible. Sounds like power books and real tests are the method of choice. I've previously taken the Kaplan course and had a tutor. I think I just burned myself out. How the hell do I stay positive/ enjoy preparing for this test??

Commence.

yeff

Re: Weighing my options

Postby yeff » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 am

Last edited by yeff on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:55 am

I don't mean to sound entitled, actually I'm very humbled by my parents paying for law school. I fought them at every turn, but they insisted. I've also saved money up since I was a 5 and learned to invest so I plan on spending my money on travel, not that this is any of your business, but you need not come to any hasty conclusions.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am

Who cares, OP parents are rich, big deal I wish mine were too.

Are you capable of raising your LSAT? Are you willing to put in 2-3 hours a day for three months? If yes you should raise that LSAT. You should be aiming for as high as you can.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 am

OP does not sound entitled...parents financial information was important to her post helping to weigh the viability of her options. He/she is in a much different position than a person looking at those schools and debt.

And plenty of people travel on their own dime or parents.

Someone being honest about coming from a privileged background isn't acting entitled...it's a fact about their situation. Back off.

OP, I'd get some work experience and retake...better resume and possibility of a better score. Don't take it if you're not confident.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Thank you very much for suggestions. I can put in the time, I just need the right attitude and preparing for it. I approached my previous ones with doom and gloom, mostly "do well or your life is over". Anyone have a better suggestion than this obviously super sad pov?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:09 pm

brickman wrote:Thank you very much for suggestions. I can put in the time, I just need the right attitude and preparing for it. I approached my previous ones with doom and gloom, mostly "do well or your life is over". Anyone have a better suggestion than this obviously super sad pov?

Like Paralegal said, don't take it unless you are confident and at your peak. IMO you should aim for June (and postpone to Sept if you need to) and make sure you do every PT before then.

Also look at the TLS LSAT forum. It's got good stuff.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Okay. So consensus is then wait it out and try again.

Next question: Where to travel? Tickets to jay-pan are expensive and the u.s. has plenty of things to see. Where would you go if you had tons of time?

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:11 pm

brickman wrote:Okay. So consensus is then wait it out and try again.

Next question: Where to travel? Tickets to jay-pan are expensive and the u.s. has plenty of things to see. Where would you go if you had tons of time?

Don't just travel. You should get a job. When you reapply in a year they're going to want to know what you did between school and applying. They will look much more favorably on legitimate work experience. Or at least if you're going to travel maybe go to one place and work/volunteer there? In fact if you went someplace where you then became fluent in the language that couldn't hurt either. Something more interesting than just seeing the world.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:28 pm

brickman wrote:Next question: Where to travel? Tickets to jay-pan are expensive and the u.s. has plenty of things to see. Where would you go if you had tons of time?

c'mon bro

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Marisa5252 wrote:
brickman wrote:Okay. So consensus is then wait it out and try again.

Don't just travel. You should get a job. When you reapply in a year they're going to want to know what you did between school and applying. They will look much more favorably on legitimate work experience. Or at least if you're going to travel maybe go to one place and work/volunteer there? In fact if you went someplace where you then became fluent in the language that couldn't hurt either. Something more interesting than just seeing the world.

was thinking about going to Israel and volunteering for a year or so. It would be nice to get dual citizenship/ language proficiency.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”