Response to the academic probation question affects you?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mmakhail

Response to the academic probation question affects you?

Postby mmakhail » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:02 pm

I had a difficult time due to some extremely unfortunate events in my life that caused my GPA to be very low during the beginning of my undergrad career. I was placed on academic probation. I am already writing an addendum explaining my GPA. My question is, does responding yes to the academic probation ruin or harm your application? Also, should I write a separate addendum for the probation or just us the GPA one to explain it, since the cause of both are the same set of events? Thanks in advance.

swc65

Re: Response to the academic probation question affects you?

Postby swc65 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:04 pm

i had the same issue and got into Columbia and NYU. Also some schools state on their application that it may not even matter. I suspect that it is only a small part of you total application. You CGPA will matter much more. You should be able to fit the probation into your gpa addendum. Many schools will also require you to submit a Dean's certification from that school too.

mmakhail

Postby mmakhail » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 pm

swc65 wrote:i had the same issue and got into Columbia and NYU. Also some schools state on their application that it may not even matter. I suspect that it is only a small part of you total application. You CGPA will matter much more. You should be able to fit the probation into your gpa addendum. Many schools will also require you to submit a Dean's certification from that school too.

Thanks. This info is a great help. I was really concerned. How do you know if they want a Dean's certification? Will they ask for it in the app or later?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm sure it does nothing good for you, but you don't have a choice so...

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:38 pm

mmakhail wrote:
swc65 wrote:i had the same issue and got into Columbia and NYU. Also some schools state on their application that it may not even matter. I suspect that it is only a small part of you total application. You CGPA will matter much more. You should be able to fit the probation into your gpa addendum. Many schools will also require you to submit a Dean's certification from that school too.

Thanks. This info is a great help. I was really concerned. How do you know if they want a Dean's certification? Will they ask for it in the app or later?

It usually says on the app near the question about academic probation if you will need a Dean's cert.

Sorry for way l8 response.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”