Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby babaghanouj » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:53 pm

jason8821 wrote:http://www.psers.state.pa.us/org/board/boardroom.jpg
Just Board man. I didn't realize how great this felt.

wtf are you talking about? You're a terrible troll.

jason8821
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby jason8821 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 am

babaghanouj wrote:
jason8821 wrote:http://www.psers.state.pa.us/org/board/boardroom.jpg
Just Board man. I didn't realize how great this felt.

wtf are you talking about? You're a terrible troll.


If you're serious, then you couldn't have possibly read this thread. Everyone thinks it's funny, stupid whatever that I said "Just Board" instead of "Just Bored" I can't disagree with them, it is pretty funny.

I really thought this would create an interesting discussion, and I think I've got a decent eye for that, but it turns out I was wrong, so I say let the "Just Board" jokes continue and if everyone doesn't mind i might throw one in here or there.

However, for all of the people that say "this doesn't make sense etc, it couldn't happen." People on here talk ALL THE TIME about getting into top schools, the importance of rank and so on, they also talk about the importance of not taking on debt. I think it would interesting to see at what point would someone pick number 180 vs <3 (no that's not a heart symbol for you jackasses who want to go there).

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:07 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
cubswin wrote:
jason8821 wrote:just board.


You heard the man. Get on that [strike]plane[/strike] plain.


ftfy

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:09 am

jason8821 wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:
jason8821 wrote:http://www.psers.state.pa.us/org/board/boardroom.jpg
Just Board man. I didn't realize how great this felt.

wtf are you talking about? You're a terrible troll.


If you're serious, then you couldn't have possibly read this thread. Everyone thinks it's funny, stupid whatever that I said "Just Board" instead of "Just Bored" I can't disagree with them, it is pretty funny.

I really thought this would create an interesting discussion, and I think I've got a decent eye for that, but it turns out I was wrong, so I say let the "Just Board" jokes continue and if everyone doesn't mind i might throw one in here or there.

However, for all of the people that say "this doesn't make sense etc, it couldn't happen." People on here talk ALL THE TIME about getting into top schools, the importance of rank and so on, they also talk about the importance of not taking on debt. I think it would interesting to see at what point would someone pick number 180 vs <3 (no that's not a heart symbol for you jackasses who want to go there).

People are making fun of you for how ridiculous the question is. Anybody with stats good enough to be admitted to Harvard is likely going to be receiving anywhere from around 1/2 to full tuition from many, if not most, schools in the range of 7-20. Nobody in their right mind or with any knowledge of admissions practices would consider this a good discussion prompt for the slightest second, which is why people are instead making fun of the humor behind your misspellings as opposed to answering your question. I also feel bad for giving you a straight answer on this, since it kinda ruins the fun people are having with this. I just feel worse for not filling you in on why people are making jokes instead of answering your asinine hypo.

jason8821
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby jason8821 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
jason8821 wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:
jason8821 wrote:http://www.psers.state.pa.us/org/board/boardroom.jpg
Just Board man. I didn't realize how great this felt.

wtf are you talking about? You're a terrible troll.


If you're serious, then you couldn't have possibly read this thread. Everyone thinks it's funny, stupid whatever that I said "Just Board" instead of "Just Bored" I can't disagree with them, it is pretty funny.

I really thought this would create an interesting discussion, and I think I've got a decent eye for that, but it turns out I was wrong, so I say let the "Just Board" jokes continue and if everyone doesn't mind i might throw one in here or there.

However, for all of the people that say "this doesn't make sense etc, it couldn't happen." People on here talk ALL THE TIME about getting into top schools, the importance of rank and so on, they also talk about the importance of not taking on debt. I think it would interesting to see at what point would someone pick number 180 vs <3 (no that's not a heart symbol for you jackasses who want to go there).

People are making fun of you for how ridiculous the question is. Anybody with stats good enough to be admitted to Harvard is likely going to be receiving anywhere from around 1/2 to full tuition from many, if not most, schools in the range of 7-20. Nobody in their right mind or with any knowledge of admissions practices would consider this a good discussion prompt for the slightest second, which is why people are instead making fun of the humor behind your misspellings as opposed to answering your question. I also feel bad for giving you a straight answer on this, since it kinda ruins the fun people are having with this. I just feel worse for not filling you in on why people are making jokes instead of answering your asinine hypo.


Thanks for clarifying. The whole time, I just thought it was my misspelling of a word, not my bizarre hypothetical. It's like one of those level 5 questions on Superprep that I just can't quite get until I look back it, but all you other guys just knocked it out.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby SAE » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:38 am

School? wrote:
jason8821 wrote:I'm sure it's been done before, just board.




--ImageRemoved--

I lol'ed.

Also, l love the casual bystander in the background..

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 am

Assume the average Harvard grad stays in biglaw for 10 years, making an average of $200k per year during that time. The Harvard degree is then worth $2m. Say that Harvard grad's alternative prospects would've paid $80k/year over that time. The net return from the Harvard degree is then $1.2m over those 10 years. Thus, Harvard at $400k or even $600k is statistically probably still a win, although that debt figure is difficult to comprehend.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby SAE » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:34 am

rayiner wrote:Assume the average Harvard grad stays in biglaw for 10 years, making an average of $200k per year during that time. The Harvard degree is then worth $2m. Say that Harvard grad's alternative prospects would've paid $80k/year over that time. The net return from the Harvard degree is then $1.2m over those 10 years. Thus, Harvard at $400k or even $600k is statistically probably still a win, although that debt figure is difficult to comprehend.

Are we assuming no time value of money and that the alternative to a Harvard degree is a $0/year job?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 pm

SAE wrote:
rayiner wrote:Assume the average Harvard grad stays in biglaw for 10 years, making an average of $200k per year during that time. The Harvard degree is then worth $2m. Say that Harvard grad's alternative prospects would've paid $80k/year over that time. The net return from the Harvard degree is then $1.2m over those 10 years. Thus, Harvard at $400k or even $600k is statistically probably still a win, although that debt figure is difficult to comprehend.

Are we assuming no time value of money and that the alternative to a Harvard degree is a $0/year job?


I'm ignoring time value of money, but comparing Harvard versus a $80k/year (over 10 years) job. Actually, I forgot to calculate opportunity cost on there, so probably subtract another $200k from the net return for Harvard, but you get the point.

yobama
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby yobama » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Wait. How would you have 400k in debt??

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Harvard with 400k debt/loans or bottom tier 4 with $0 debt.

Postby babaghanouj » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:05 pm

yobama wrote:Wait. How would you have 400k in debt??

you wouldn't




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests