Law school 'spamming' and chances of acceptance? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Leeb

New

Law school 'spamming' and chances of acceptance?

Post by Leeb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:26 pm

I've applied to the school I most want to admit me, but keep getting messages with fee waivers from others. Some are great schools, that I'd love to get in. Does anyone have an idea whether receiving a fee waiver e-mail indicates decent success in admission?

Thanks,
Lee

fonzerelli

Bronze

Re: Law school 'spamming' and chances of acceptance?

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Leeb wrote:I've applied to the school I most want to admit me, but keep getting messages with fee waivers from others. Some are great schools, that I'd love to get in. Does anyone have an idea whether receiving a fee waiver e-mail indicates decent success in admission?

Thanks,
Lee
I think the consensus around here is that type of spam is primarily driven by the desire for schools to improve their yields. Sorry.

Leeb

New

Post by Leeb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks! :) No sense wasting my time.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:38 pm

I'm not going to name which school it was, but I got spammed by one school today that a) screwed up the first email to me by using my last name instead of my first name in the header (which I didn't even notice), and b) sent me an email with misspelled words apologizing for the first email.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:39 pm

nycparalegal wrote:I'm not going to name which school it was, but I got spammed by one school today that a) screwed up the first email to me by using my last name instead of my first name in the header (which I didn't even notice), and b) sent me an email with misspelled words apologizing for the first email.
Oh come on... what does it rhyme with? ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joshhoward

Bronze

Post by joshhoward » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Leeb wrote:Thanks! :) No sense wasting my time.
i wouldn't give up that easily. they send them (generally) to those who have numbers that make them "highly qualified" for that given school.

it does NOT mean that they will lower their requirements for you (i.e. your chances will not be any better), but it's a statement of what they consider your chances to be in the first place.

if its a school you can see yourself attending, and your numbers fall into their ranges, then why would you not send off a free application?

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:45 pm

The funny thing is I feel like I got kind of a microcosm look at what it must be like to be on the Admissions Committee, and have all of these requests for you.

I kind of see the importance of not making any mistakes on your applications because it def looks bad. I see why it's probably best to let it go, if you did make a mistake, because the second email brings attention to it, and if you make a mistake in your second email, you get the kiss of death.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:48 pm

nycparalegal wrote:I'm not going to name which school it was, but I got spammed by one school today that a) screwed up the first email to me by using my last name instead of my first name in the header (which I didn't even notice), and b) sent me an email with misspelled words apologizing for the first email.
dayton. happened to me today too

TrackTony88

Bronze

Post by TrackTony88 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:16 pm

My personal favorite was when some school wrote Dear %FIRST NAME%,

Way to make me feel special.

I did not apply there..haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”