Case 'been fired' addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lonagan

Case 'been fired' addendum

Postby Lonagan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 pm

I am seeking advice on my addendum for Case Western's question about whether you have been fired / terminated from a job.
Question 28 Addendum
Fake Name LSAC# --------

This addendum to my application for admission is in response to question 26 which asks "Have you ever been terminated, suspended, disciplined, or permitted to resign in lieu of termination from any job?"

In April 2007 I was fired from my job as an associate at Target Copy in Gainesville, Florida. The circumstances surrounding this event are as follows:

I worked the night shift at Target Copy, a general printing and copying company. As is characteristic of the night shift in jobs such as this, the work load was highly variable, leading to many nights with very little or nothing to do. Many associates at this company were, like me, students at either the University of Florida or Santa Fe Community College and would use these slow nights to read or do other work for their classes. One day in April, I received a call at home from the owner of the company. He informed me that another employee at the company had reported that I was reading on the clock, and asked me if this was true. I answered that it was true. He then informed me that I was terminated and would not discuss the matter further.

I do not believe this incident is a true reflection of either my character or work ethic. My direct supervisor permitted reading on slow nights. It was an entirely commonplace activity throughout the company, and I am not aware of anyone else being terminated for this reason. Further, I was a conscientious and hardworking employee, often staying several hours past the end of my shift to complete critical projects, training new employees, and dealing with particularly complex tasks. While I respect Target Copy's prerogative to act as it pleases with regard to at-will employment agreements, I stand by the quality of my work product and maintain that I was unjustly terminated. I did not pursue any remedy for this termination on account of the above-noted at-will nature of the employment, and the fact that a low-paying service industry job is only worth so much trouble.

I am concerned about the length of the statement and whether or not the tone comes off as flippant. The statement I would like to have written is "I worked a shitty job for a shitty company in undergrad, and one day, like a bitch, the owner called and fired me at home. He told me I was fired, I told him to go fuck himself and wished him all the best in making copies for the rest of his life. I regret nothing." I think I have instead used adult words, but I am open to criticism. For whatever it's worth, I think writing about this in a law school app is even dumber than the schools that make me write about a speeding ticket from ten years ago. Thanks all for any feedback.
Last edited by Lonagan on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

nixxers

Re: Case 'been fired' addendum

Postby nixxers » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Lonagan wrote: The statement I would like to have written is "I worked a shitty job for a shitty company in undergrad, and one day, like a bitch, the owner called and fired me at home. He told me I was fired, I told him to go fuck himself and wished him all the best in making copies for the rest of his life. I regret nothing." I think I have instead used adult words, but I am open to criticism.

:lol:

It sounds good to me. The last sentence is a little bitchy though, so if you're worried about sounding flippant, get rid of it.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:49 pm

that owner was a bitch.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm

This might be stupid, but thats not your real name and LSAC number, right? It didn't look obviously fake to me.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:01 am

Wow, that was incredibly stupid of me, thank you for pointing that out. Names changed to protect the innocent, etc.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:04 am

Lonagan wrote:Wow, that was incredibly stupid of me, thank you for pointing that out. Names changed to protect the innocent, etc.

--ImageRemoved--

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:05 am

nixxers wrote:
Lonagan wrote: The statement I would like to have written is "I worked a shitty job for a shitty company in undergrad, and one day, like a bitch, the owner called and fired me at home. He told me I was fired, I told him to go fuck himself and wished him all the best in making copies for the rest of his life. I regret nothing." I think I have instead used adult words, but I am open to criticism.

:lol:

It sounds good to me. The last sentence is a little bitchy though, so if you're worried about sounding flippant, get rid of it.

Yeah, true. I'll probably just cut that out.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:07 am

Those crazy cats and their crazy antics.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:17 am

Yeah, definitely get rid of the last sentence. I would get rid of the "unjustly terminated" business, too. The owner can fire you for whatever reason he wants if it's performance-related. That sounds whiney. You already explained the situation of your termination, and whether that termination was unjust should be for the reader to decide. Stay away from the value judgments and stick to a description of the situation.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 am

take out last sentence but other than that its evident that you got screwed at an inconsequential job...

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:22 am

Yeah, last sentence is out. I think you are probably correct JCougar, I should just let it stand at 'work product.' All in all it sounds like people think the bulk of the statement is about on point though?

lsatbdog

Postby lsatbdog » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:23 am

Lonagan wrote:I am seeking advice on my addendum for Case Western's question about whether you have been fired / terminated from a job.
Question 28 Addendum
Fake Name LSAC# --------

This addendum to my application for admission is in response to question 26 which asks "Have you ever been terminated, suspended, disciplined, or permitted to resign in lieu of termination from any job?"

In April 2007 I was fired from my job as an associate at Target Copy in Gainesville, Florida. The circumstances surrounding this event are as follows:

I worked the night shift at Target Copy, a general printing and copying company.[strike]As is characteristic of the night shift in jobs such as this,[/strike]The work load was highly variable, ranging from very busy nights to ones with no work to be done at all. Many associates at this company were, like me, students at either the University of Florida or Santa Fe Community College and would use [strike]these[/strike]slow nights to read or do [strike]other[/strike] work for their classes. My direct supervisor permitted reading on slow nights. One day in April, I received a call[strike]at home[/strike] from the owner of the company. He stated that another employee [strike]at the company[/strike] had reported that I was reading on the clock, and asked me if this was true. I answered that it was [strike]true.[/strike] (accurate?) or just end there. You have true twice in a row. He then informed me that I [strike]was terminated[/strike] (this works, but something like "my services were no longer necessary" may sound better) and would not discuss the matter further.

I do not believe this incident is a true reflection of either my character or work ethic. (Moved this part) Reading during downtime was [strike]an entirely[/strike]commonplace [strike]activity[/strike]throughout the company, and I am not aware of anyone else being terminated for this reason. Further, I was a conscientious and hardworking employee, often staying several hours past the end of my shift to complete critical projects, training new employees, and dealing with particularly complex tasks. While I respect Target Copy's prerogative to act as it pleases with regard to at-will employment agreements, I stand by the quality of my work [strike]product and maintain that I was unjustly terminated[/strike]. [strike]I did not pursue any remedy for this termination on account of the above-noted at-will nature of the employment, and the fact that a low-paying service industry job is only worth so much trouble.[/[/strike]quote]

I am concerned about the length of the statement and whether or not the tone comes off as flippant. The statement I would like to have written is "I worked a shitty job for a shitty company in undergrad, and one day, like a bitch, the owner called and fired me at home. He told me I was fired, I told him to go fuck himself and wished him all the best in making copies for the rest of his life. I regret nothing." I think I have instead used adult words, but I am open to criticism. For whatever it's worth, I think writing about this in a law school app is even dumber than the schools that make me write about a speeding ticket from ten years ago. Thanks all for any feedback.

Overall I think it works, I tried to "trim the fat a little". I also don't think you need the last sentence at all, it comes off a bit strong/confrontational. I don't think the situation is too big a deal since my understanding is these questions are for character and fitness stuff down the road, and its not like your the first person to be fired from a college job for reading or doing work on the clock, and you won't be the last. I think you could cut the whole last paragraph if you want, into just something like "although I am not aware of any other employee being fired for such activity, which was relatively common, I accept the decision. However, I do not think it is a true reflection on my work ethic, character/whatever".

Edit: I tried to fix the tiny font, but I don't know what is wrong with it. I'd just say to try and shorten it a bit, and not overplay other people also doing the same thing. Just mention that it was common, your supervisor allowed it, but you were terminated for it, and you accept it but dont believe it reflects on you.
Last edited by lsatbdog on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.