Fee waivers: how much is too much? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
latinolaw

New

Fee waivers: how much is too much?

Post by latinolaw » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm getting fee waivers from schools that I probably wouldn't have considered applying to otherwise (UC Davis, UMaryland, Notre Dame and a few others).

Is it worth the $12?

My dream school is Cornell, but I would gladly attend UCLA, BU, or a few others I applied to.

Eruannon

Bronze

Re: Fee waivers: how much is too much?

Post by Eruannon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:39 pm

If you think you might get a nice scholarship and you would consider the school then I'd go for it. If you aren't going to go there no matter what then I don't know. Personally I like to send out applications, I like to have a lot of options open to me at all times, this is different for everyone though.

slickback23

New

Post by slickback23 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 pm

You can never have too many fee waivers. I usually say to myself that, if I can remotely see myself being at this school, then I will apply.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:50 pm

I think about applying to a given school in the following way, OP: if I were to get into only that school, would I attend?

Clearly, yes = apply, no = don't waste the time/$12-87.

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:56 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:I think about applying to a given school in the following way, OP: if I were to get into only that school, would I attend?

Clearly, yes = apply, no = don't waste the time/$12-87.
I think that might be a little to loose. If I thought that way I would have applied to about 40 schools in the T1 and T2. You also have to figure in where the school falls in relation to your other reach-target-safety schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:59 pm

Haha you could be right, Eruannon.

I guess I'm just picky, seeing as how I only applied to eight schools ;)

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Including schools with free applications who've sent invitations, I now have 54 fee waivers. There is a certain ridiculousness to it, but I think there is a lot to be said for applying to a lot of schools. For one, you may be able to leverage scholarships or scholarship requirements if you get into (and get $$) from a lot of schools. Second, you might get invited to an ASW and fall in love with a school you never expected to. Plus, it makes a lot more sense to choose on the back end (schools that admit you) than on the front end (which schools to apply to).

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:13 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:Including schools with free applications who've sent invitations, I now have 54 fee waivers. There is a certain ridiculousness to it, but I think there is a lot to be said for applying to a lot of schools. For one, you may be able to leverage scholarships or scholarship requirements if you get into (and get $$) from a lot of schools. Second, you might get invited to an ASW and fall in love with a school you never expected to. Plus, it makes a lot more sense to choose on the back end (schools that admit you) than on the front end (which schools to apply to).
kwhitegocubs wrote:Including schools with free applications who've sent invitations, I now have 54 fee waivers. There is a certain ridiculousness to it, but I think there is a lot to be said for applying to a lot of schools. For one, you may be able to leverage scholarships or scholarship requirements if you get into (and get $$) from a lot of schools. Second, you might get invited to an ASW and fall in love with a school you never expected to. Plus, it makes a lot more sense to choose on the back end (schools that admit you) than on the front end (which schools to apply to).
I'm definitely upping my number of applications in search of leverage for $$, as well as throwing out fee waiver apps to a good number of the non-TTT fee waivers I've got.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”