Law School Consultants: Deloggio vs Ivey

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MichelFoucault

Law School Consultants: Deloggio vs Ivey

Postby MichelFoucault » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:14 pm

I've contacted both. I know Deloggio focuses on URMs and non traditionals, and I think I perfectly fit the bill. Ivey, on the other hand, has direct experience with admissions and appears a bit more polished and professional. Given that I fit Deloggio's profile to a T, and shes half the price. should I go with her? Or should I be conservative and go with the staff of Ivey? Also, it is pretty clear that Ivey isn't exactly the biggest fan of affirmative action. Could this possibly subconsciously affect any services I get from her?

amichig

Re: Law School Consultants: Deloggio vs Ivey

Postby amichig » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 pm

Am I out of the loop? What the heck is a law school consultant? Please don't tell me you are paying someone to tell you where and how to apply to law school?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:19 pm

With tools such as TLS and the other countless resources that can be found on the web, I think you are crazy to pay someone to help you apply to schools.

GWdawg

Postby GWdawg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:21 pm

Would Deloggio subconsciously undermine someone who isn't an URM? Both get the same results, I suggest you go with the one you feel the most comfortable with and whichever is cheapest.

Yeah there are a couple firms that help with this kind of stuff. They help you with your PS's and follow through with the admissions offices and stuff. It's really expensive though.

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:26 pm

amichig wrote:Am I out of the loop? What the heck is a law school consultant? Please don't tell me you are paying someone to tell you where and how to apply to law school?

I admit this is true for typical applicants, there are plenty of resources that provide enough information on how competitive one is at different schools . But for those of us with non-traditional backgrounds or who are URM, it is not as clear cut. Or for those who are half URM and are reverse splitters, things are even more dubious. I think for most people consultation is unnecessary, but I think there are certain situations where quality guidance from people with extensive experience is very helpful. In particular if someone isn't sure if a retake is necessary and really have their hearts set on a certain school.

dukecardinals

Postby dukecardinals » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:28 pm

With tools such as TLS and the other countless resources that can be found on the web, I think you are crazy to pay someone to help you apply to schools.

In an interview, the UChicago's Dean of admissions said the same thing (see: http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... /ann-perry ) -- funny since I think that Ivey used to work at UChicago.

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 pm

GWdawg wrote:Would Deloggio subconsciously undermine someone who isn't an URM? Both get the same results, I suggest you go with the one you feel the most comfortable with and whichever is cheapest.

Yeah there are a couple firms that help with this kind of stuff. They help you with your PS's and follow through with the admissions offices and stuff. It's really expensive though.

Lol, I think deloggio consciously and deliberately undermines non URMs. She has vastly different pay schedules for the two. But to be fair, it appears that she just really enjoys helping the people whose profiles make their situation more difficult to easily predict. I think it is fair to say she enjoys the challenge of learning about and helping those with non-traditional backgrounds.

GWdawg

Postby GWdawg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:35 pm

To be completely honest, just get Ivey's book and look at Deloggio's website. You won't get them campaigning for you, but that contains all the same information they would give you in their help. If you're a URM and non-traditional, I'd say as long as you get a decent LSAT you can go most anywhere.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:57 pm

If you spent all the time and money from a consultant on prepping for the LSAT, and added just a few points, it would probably be worth more than the help they can give you.

Your cycle is numbers; all they can really do, aside from hold your hand and make you feel good, is edit your statements and tell you where to apply.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:11 pm

Set the money on fire now imo.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:38 pm

I'll be your admissions consultant for 1000 dollars, and I'll personally answer your phone calls 24/7.

I'll even give you the first bit of advice for free. Retake the LSAT.

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:45 pm

Nice. Can you also hire a consultant for the actual law school?
Last edited by SAE on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:46 pm

what is the difference in price?

I'm just curious....

how much does it cost to hire ivey?

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 pm

avacado111 wrote:what is the difference in price?

I'm just curious....

1500 vs 3500

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:19 pm

MichelFoucault wrote:
avacado111 wrote:what is the difference in price?

I'm just curious....

1500 vs 3500

:shock:

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:43 pm

NayBoer wrote:If you spent all the time and money from a consultant on prepping for the LSAT, and added just a few points, it would probably be worth more than the help they can give you.

Your cycle is numbers; all they can really do, aside from hold your hand and make you feel good, is edit your statements and tell you where to apply.

I think after a certain point it becomes more than just numbers. HYS rejects plenty of kid with suitable numbers, the candidates are differentiated on the factors that distinguish themselves from others with similar numbers.

As for re-prepping for the LSAT I already prepped pretty thoroughly for the first one. I went through 27 full PT's and through LG bible and most of LR bible (LR is not my weakness). My PT average was 174 with a lot of variance and a low end of 169-170, so a retake doesn't leave a lot of room for improvement considering that I've exhausted most of the materials. Spending my next year doing something to enhance my application (like volunteer work or significant work experience) along with the advice of experienced consultants isn't a complete waste of money. Especially considering that, without having to go into details, I have a lot atypical personal experience that could be used in formulating a strong PS that deals with many touchy issues. Choosing the best way to express my experiences is something that would benefit from the advice of people who are more knowledgeable about what works and what doesn't in the application process. I believe considering employing the advice of an experienced consultant in this situation is prudent. Trying to convey complex issues that might be misinterpreted or might be received in an unintended way is haphazard.

While this board does provide a wealth of information, at the end of the day a tremendous amount of the information on here is the opinion of 0Ls or 1Ls whose foundation for their opinions is merely the basic data available to everyone. Whereas Deloggio has spent the past 40 years of her life interviewing adcoms at law school forums and dealing with applicants who have atypical backgrounds and stats that don't lend themselves to the type of inference mainstream applicants do. If you guys consider the opinions on this board valuable, then I would imagine that the opinion of someone who has 40 years experience dealing with both applicants and adcoms would be even more valuable, tried and true. Or to put it another way, if a 0L can gain information and insight in one year by gleaning these forums that is equivalent to that of a $2000 professional consultation, then somebody who has graduated law school and has been specializing as a career this type of work for 40 years should be worth considerably more.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”