Question about Law School Reports on LSAC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
biggiemike000

Question about Law School Reports on LSAC

Postby biggiemike000 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:54 pm

I had a question about the information posted when you click on apply, go to report status and click on one of the reported applications. Under LSAT Score data on the Summary portion of the PDF under Administration date it says the score, then "average" and and an index number to the left of that (3.3). I was just curious if anyone knew what they signifies.

Thanks,
Mike

eshort

Re: Question about Law School Reports on LSAC

Postby eshort » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Mike,
I remember reading about this before. Some schools request that the LSAC compute these to make their process easier (usually a combination of gpa and lsat in some way). They use it in admissions decisions.

LSAC wrote:The Admission Index
Some law schools combine your LSAT score and GPA to produce an index number to assist them in the admission process. An index number is provided on the law school report for Credential Assembly Service-requiring law schools that choose to have one reported. You can calculate what index number will be reported for each LSAT score by using the values listed in the Admission Index Information Sheet. You should be aware that the index number reported to law schools may differ if a school changes their index formula after we have made this report available to you. You should contact each school to which you apply if you have questions about how it uses the index number in the admission process.
An admission index is produced by (1) multiplying the LSAT score by some constant (A); (2) multiplying the GPA by some constant (B); and
(3) adding the sum of these two quantities to a third constant (C). In symbols, Index = [(A) x (LSAT)] + [(B) x (GPA)] + C.
The values of the constants A, B, and C, as selected by individual law schools, are listed on the Admission Index Information Sheet. The values of the constants selected by particular law schools may change from time to time at the request of the school. If you have more than one LSAT score and an average LSAT score is reported, an index number will also be reported using the average LSAT score. Not all law schools use these formulas, and those that do use index numbers do not necessarily use them in the same way. An index number calculated by LSAC is not the exclusive means by which a law school may combine data reflected on the law school report and/or other data. The absence of a law school from the Admission Index Information Sheet does not mean that some calculations are or are not made by the school receiving the law school report.

(Available here)
(Individual school formulas here)

biggiemike000

Re: Question about Law School Reports on LSAC

Postby biggiemike000 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks for the help but for some reason the link didn't work for me. I did a quick search on Google (which I should have done in the first place) and I found a brief description. I guess you have to have a couple people to compare an index score to see what a "good" number is.

The Admission Index
Some law schools combine your LSAT score and GPA to produce an index number to assist them in the admission process. An index number is provided on the LSDAS Law School Report for LSDAS-requiring law schools that choose to have one reported. You can calculate what index number will be reported for each LSAT score by using the values listed in the Admission Index Information Sheet. You should be aware that the index number reported to law schools may differ if a school changes their index formula after we have made this report available to you. You should contact each school to which you apply if you have questions about how it uses the index number in the admission process.

An admission index is produced by (1) multiplying the LSAT score by some constant (A); (2) multiplying the GPA by some constant (B); and (3) adding the sum of these two quantities to a third constant (C). In symbols, Index = [(A) x (LSAT)] + [(B) x (GPA)] + C.

The values of the constants A, B, and C, as selected by individual law schools, are listed on the Admission Index Information Sheet. The values of the constants selected by particular law schools may change from time to time at the request of the school. If you have more than one LSAT score and an average LSAT score is reported, an index number will also be reported using the average LSAT score. Not all law schools use these formulas, and those that do use index numbers do not necessarily use them in the same way. An index number calculated by LSAC is not the exclusive means by which a law school may combine data reflected on the law school report and/or other data. The absence of a law school from the Admission Index Information Sheet does not mean that some calculations are or are not made by the school receiving the law school report.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”