"Apply here" emails

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Education1st

"Apply here" emails

Postby Education1st » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Just about everyday, I receive emails from schools encouraging me to apply. For example, today I received an email from Case Western. Does this mean that I have a good chance of being accepted or am I simply on their mailing list?

annapavlova

Re: "Apply here" emails

Postby annapavlova » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:15 pm

A school like Case emailing you might mean their list is a little more focused than just the general "you like law? you in." email lists used by Florida Coastal and Friends, but no, it's no silver bullet.

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:17 pm

annapavlova wrote:A school like Case emailing you might mean their list is a little more focused than just the general "you like law? you in." email lists used by Florida Coastal and Friends, but no, it's no silver bullet.

So does that mean I should apply? They did offer to waive the application fee.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Education1st wrote:
annapavlova wrote:A school like Case emailing you might mean their list is a little more focused than just the general "you like law? you in." email lists used by Florida Coastal and Friends, but no, it's no silver bullet.

Call them and ask for a fee waiver.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:23 pm

If the offered to wave the fee, it may mean you have a better chance there; so if interested, you should definitely apply.

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:26 pm

This may be a dumb question, but you never know if you don't ask. So, just because I received an application fee waiver, I am correct in assuming that not everyone has received a waiver?

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Education1st wrote:This may be a dumb question, but you never know if you don't ask. So, just because I received an application fee waiver, I am correct in assuming that not everyone has received a waiver?

That is correct.

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Cool. Thanks

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Education1st wrote:

Call them and ask for a fee waiver.

:|

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:57 pm

often times its "Hey, we noticed that either your GPA or LSAT of are in the range of last years admits. Why don't you send us an application and, if we like the whole picture, we may offer you admission."

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:08 pm

Education1st wrote:This may be a dumb question, but you never know if you don't ask. So, just because I received an application fee waiver, I am correct in assuming that not everyone has received a waiver?

I would think this is the case, unless the e-mail specifically says that the fee is being waived for everyone.

Education1st

Postby Education1st » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:19 pm

sdegarmo wrote:often times its "Hey, we noticed that either your GPA or LSAT of are in the range of last years admits. Why don't you send us an application and, if we like the whole picture, we may offer you admission."

This does make sense. I figure schools make a killing on their application fees, so why would they waive them if their not interested. However, schools are also "rated" partially on their selectivity, so it does benefit them to have a bunch of rejected applicants.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”