. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:36 am

Last edited by AlanShore on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Re: defer law school one year to work--?

Post by nycparalegal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:38 am

I think the important thing here is how do you feel about defering for one year? Are you doing it just for the law schools or is this something you want to do?

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:43 am

Last edited by AlanShore on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:43 am

As someone who did that last year (and so is working this year) it depends on your situation. For me, I saw it as a chance to put enough to live on for about a year in the bank, heading off some debt up front, as well as do aps better, etc. It is not easy to just do a year still working when you could have dove in and been half way through 1L already. And if you have contacts they can go a bit cold. But if you have no rush and nothing to lose AND you like the job, you might consider. This has been a rather rough 4 months so far, and I can't imagine there are still 7-8 months left working at something your ready to move on from, and yet they want all your passion, etc. Still, can't say I wouldn't make the same choice, because financially if I pull it off it will be real nice having a cushion/lifestyle money/emergency cash in the bank.

Just really though, if you don't like your job or bosss, etc., don't do it.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:45 am

Last edited by AlanShore on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blue16

New

Post by blue16 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:52 am

I originally wanted to go straight to law school but the law school I wanted to go to gave me a deferred acceptance, so I had to find something to do. Honestly, I'm very happy I've done it. It's not going to help my loans at all, I'm doing other things with the money, but just from the standpoint of appreciating law school once you're there. Being in the work-world full time makes you WANT to be back in school bad, and I feel like once I start in a few months I will be better mentally prepared. Instead of "Damn I just did four years and now I gotta grind out another three years of school that'll be harder", I'm thinking "It's gonna be great to be a student again."

Keep in mind, if you're one of those people who's going to love law school, 4 months into your job you will start counting down the days til you get to start being a student again haha. Overall, I think my time off has been a great asset, and in the long run, one year longer to get out isn't that much.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:01 am

blue16 wrote:I originally wanted to go straight to law school but the law school I wanted to go to gave me a deferred acceptance, so I had to find something to do. Honestly, I'm very happy I've done it. It's not going to help my loans at all, I'm doing other things with the money, but just from the standpoint of appreciating law school once you're there. Being in the work-world full time makes you WANT to be back in school bad, and I feel like once I start in a few months I will be better mentally prepared. Instead of "Damn I just did four years and now I gotta grind out another three years of school that'll be harder", I'm thinking "It's gonna be great to be a student again."

Keep in mind, if you're one of those people who's going to love law school, 4 months into your job you will start counting down the days til you get to start being a student again haha. Overall, I think my time off has been a great asset, and in the long run, one year longer to get out isn't that much.
thanks for this. what reason did you give your law school? i do not think i'm one of those people who will love law school. in general, i have hated college but i think this is because of being a student-athlete and being so ridiculously busy. only home 6 weekends during the spring semester. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:17 am

AlanShore wrote:
blue16 wrote:I originally wanted to go straight to law school but the law school I wanted to go to gave me a deferred acceptance, so I had to find something to do. Honestly, I'm very happy I've done it. It's not going to help my loans at all, I'm doing other things with the money, but just from the standpoint of appreciating law school once you're there. Being in the work-world full time makes you WANT to be back in school bad, and I feel like once I start in a few months I will be better mentally prepared. Instead of "Damn I just did four years and now I gotta grind out another three years of school that'll be harder", I'm thinking "It's gonna be great to be a student again."

thanks for this. what reason did you give your law school? i do not think i'm one of those people who will love law school. in general, i have hated college but i think this is because of being a student-athlete and being so ridiculously busy. only home 6 weekends during the spring semester. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I told them the truth, with the economy, I wanted to see what was up after a year before leaving a secure job ITE. Most schools have been good about it but so far one I haven't heard yay or nay back and they'd given me $$ last time. (they didn't allow it to be defferred). So other than my boss being a bit of a pain, some stress, some lost time, if I get through these next months, I think I'll be glad I did it, to have the $$$ in the bank. With you, since you're right out of school and sound maybe not sure you'll like law school, it could be a good plan - law school isn't going anywhere.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:20 am

Last edited by AlanShore on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EricM

New

Post by EricM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:01 pm

I think this is a great idea esp. for someone with no work experience. I'll definately be doing it even though I've held a 30 hr/wk job through college. I'm not sure what your salary prospects are, but as an engineer, I can save a considerable amount of money since I won't be working during law school. That, and a year of mental relaxation are enough for me. Plus, I don't see how this could ever be construed negatively to a prospective law school. I think you should go for it.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Last edited by AlanShore on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 pm

If its a good job, it will help in the law hiring process. If not for 2 years of consulting, I would not be getting the interest from employers that I've been receiving. I also built a big network of people I have been pulling for jobs. Law job applications are about distinguishing yourself, and success in a demanding career is a great way to do it.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Last edited by AlanShore on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Not saving a dime for law school?

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Are you sure the job is still on the table if you let them know it's for one year only?

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”