on "hold," got a few questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lmao Zedong

on "hold," got a few questions

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:59 pm

got put on hold last week at HLS after applying early and having a JR1 in november. i want to know everything i can do to give myself a fighting chance here

1. anyone know how common it is to get in after being held? are the prospects statistically any betters for "holds" than they are for waitlists? i have no idea whether this is basically the end of the road, or there's still something to fight for

2. quick transcript/LOR question. if i have a transcript update and/or an additional LOR, do i send these directly to HLS or through LSDAS? if the latter, would LSDAS auto-update all schools to which i applied with this new stuff or do i have to order individual LSDAS report updates?

3. i'm planning to do the whole LOCI thing, but i'm also happy to visit the school if there's any chance it'll help. what's the procedure for this? do they ever do personal interviews for "held" applicants? if not, what's the usual way to let them know you stopped by?

i'm basically treating this like a waitlist, but i'm not sure if that's the way to do it. any other advice would really be appreciated. thanks a bunch

Lurkster

Re: on "hold," got a few questions

Postby Lurkster » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:31 pm

I wish I had something to add, but unfortunately I'm looking for the answers to the same questions. I'm now on hold at the two schools I've heard from, Penn and GULC. I've searched around quite a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of good information out there that is readily available.

zapper

Postby zapper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 pm

same question (NYU). what does it all mean??
Last edited by zapper on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:34 pm

+1 to Gargamel's #2

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Lurkster wrote:I wish I had something to add, but unfortunately I'm looking for the answers to the same questions. I'm now on hold at the two schools I've heard from, Penn and GULC. I've searched around quite a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of good information out there that is readily available.

Penn asked me about fall grades. they told me to e-mail them an unofficial transcript and to submit an official one to the LSAC. I can't answer that question about GULC or HLS

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:21 pm

To the top for the Monday crowd

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Garg, LSDAS should automatically update the schools for which you have completed applications. However, I'd contact Harvard directly afterward to make sure they request and receive the report, since they're the school you really care about.

Personally, I think everyone on Hold is still in the running; JR had said earlier on that he'd like to give out some sort of decision by Mid-January for everyone applying early on, and I think he's sticking to that. I don't think it's time to panic, yet.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:30 pm

I was put on hold at a couple t14's last cycle and it almost always turns to a waitlist technically u guys have a slightly better shot than a waitlist but I'd imagine at harvard it will be pretty difficult send in some loci's and I guess just wait and see

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Shameless bump for more quality info

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:44 pm

23fulltimecowboys wrote:+1 to Gargamel's #2

bump! +11111111

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”