GW part time Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sk08

New

GW part time

Post by sk08 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:37 pm

any activity on GW Part time applicants? I'm very interested, but worried it will be much more selective because of the class size reduction...

sk08

New

Re: GW part time

Post by sk08 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:51 pm

bump... started seeing some PT movement on the GW thread. hopefully PT can consolidate here

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Got the complete email 12/28. Still waiting.

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Applied 11/12, complete 11/25 - no word yet

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:46 am

Applied 11/24, complete 12/04. GW PT is definitely in my top 3.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sk08

New

Post by sk08 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:06 pm

bump...there were some rejections today. trying to figure out if being currently employed in DC has any bearing b/c they are certainly being more selective, so if you got a decision please indicate if you work in DC.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Dinged, and I do not work in DC.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:49 am

sk08 wrote:any activity on GW Part time applicants? I'm very interested, but worried it will be much more selective because of the class size reduction...
They should be more selective this year to "correct" the drop in the USNWR rankings.

HooCavalier

New

Post by HooCavalier » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 am

superflush wrote:
sk08 wrote:any activity on GW Part time applicants? I'm very interested, but worried it will be much more selective because of the class size reduction...
They should be more selective this year to "correct" the drop in the USNWR rankings.
GW's total numbers and ranking should rise back this year with their changes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Agent Bartowski

New

Post by Agent Bartowski » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:47 am

RD PT. I got dinged yesterday with 3.3/165 and work in IL, not in DC.
As a side note, there are fifty PT slots at GW this year.

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:38 pm

I posted this in the GW thread - but I was accepted today

RD (PT of course) applied mid-November, complete 11/25, dated 1/15

171/3.65 no $$ with the acceptance

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 pm

I was ED FT 162/3.12 (3.83) and way overly optimistic. So after they deffered me to the reg decision pool I asked to be considered for part time.

In retrospect that was a gigantic mistake, as PT is more competitive this year than ever. I should have just stayed RD FT and tried my damnedest to amass good karma. There's no way I'm getting in now.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 pm

165/3.52, PT, employed in DC by federal gov't. I went complete ages ago, either end of oct. or beginning of nov.

no decision yet.

very nervous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:00 pm

jmhendri wrote:I was ED FT 162/3.12 (3.83) and way overly optimistic. So after they deffered me to the reg decision pool I asked to be considered for part time.

In retrospect that was a gigantic mistake, as PT is more competitive this year than ever. I should have just stayed RD FT and tried my damnedest to amass good karma. There's no way I'm getting in now.
No offense, but you're below both 25th percentiles. Why were you so optimistic? Also, for you to not have been outright rejected - you must have some crazy softs. Either that, or are you a URM? Just curious, please share if you're comfortable.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 pm

I was accepted to the part-time program a few weeks ago! LSN in profile.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:10 pm

tesoro wrote:
jmhendri wrote:I was ED FT 162/3.12 (3.83) and way overly optimistic. So after they deffered me to the reg decision pool I asked to be considered for part time.

No offense, but you're below both 25th percentiles. Why were you so optimistic? Also, for you to not have been outright rejected - you must have some crazy softs. Either that, or are you a URM? Just curious, please share if you're comfortable.

I wasn't aware of the importance of the cumulative GPA for the whole USNW rankings and I thought that graduating 3.83 magna cum laude from a good school would bump me up a ton. my 162 was higher than a bunch of my minority friends who got into better schools had AND I was in the 86th percentile which, for some dumb reason, made me think I was only competing with 14% of LSAT takers. Dummy.

I'm not really a URM, although my Dad is half black and I wrote an addendum about the significance of my diverse background.

Also, I had great LORs and a steady work history. I was just totally naive. I had no idea I was competing with super humans.

Anyhow, I just didn't know enough about this process before I started it. If I had it to do again I'd take the stupid test again or at least not spend more time at the bars than I did studying for it.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:19 pm

jmhendri wrote:
tesoro wrote:

I wasn't aware of the importance of the cumulative GPA for the whole USNW rankings and I thought that graduating 3.83 magna cum laude from a good school would bump me up a ton. my 162 was higher than a bunch of my minority friends who got into better schools had AND I was in the 86th percentile which, for some dumb reason, made me think I was only competing with 14% of LSAT takers. Dummy.

I'm not really a URM, although my Dad is half black and I wrote an addendum about the significance of my diverse background.

Also, I had great LORs and a steady work history. I was just totally naive. I had no idea I was competing with super humans.

Anyhow, I just didn't know enough about this process before I started it. If I had it to do again I'd take the stupid test again or at least not spend more time at the bars than I did studying for it.
Ha- I hear ya. It's pretty crazy that we're made to be ashamed of outdoing ~90% of our peer testtakers, all of whom are college graduates. I might have not spent a week skiing 2 weeks before the exam had i realized that being in the "score band" (i.e., simply being between 25% and 75% marks) is not sufficient.

But such is life... we learn as we go! Good luck. I think being half-black is a huge boost for you, and with the DS you'll certainly be counted as URM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:30 pm

tesoro wrote:
Ha- I hear ya. It's pretty crazy that we're made to be ashamed of outdoing ~90% of our peer testtakers, all of whom are college graduates. I might have not spent a week skiing 2 weeks before the exam had i realized that being in the "score band" (i.e., simply being between 25% and 75% marks) is not sufficient.

But such is life... we learn as we go! Good luck. I think being half-black is a huge boost for you, and with the DS you'll certainly be counted as URM.
Tell me about it. My ego was so giant and inflated from all my teachers and my parents and my friends always filling me with garbage about how smart and special and unique I am and then I enter this process and learn that on paper I'm a complete undesirable.

It's heart wrenching. But probably a good life lesson

HooCavalier

New

Post by HooCavalier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:50 pm

It's amazing that you guys didn't get in with those scores, I figured GW would be strong this year with the changes they made, but it seems crazy. My best friend got in there FT last year with a $104k scholly and only had a 168 / 3.45.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:56 pm

HooCavalier wrote:It's amazing that you guys didn't get in with those scores, I figured GW would be strong this year with the changes they made, but it seems crazy. My best friend got in there FT last year with a $104k scholly and only had a 168 / 3.45.
Well let's not get ahead of ourselves. We haven't been rejected yet... LSN isn't particularly encouraging though. That's a sweet scholly for your friend!

HooCavalier

New

Post by HooCavalier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:59 pm

tesoro wrote:
HooCavalier wrote:It's amazing that you guys didn't get in with those scores, I figured GW would be strong this year with the changes they made, but it seems crazy. My best friend got in there FT last year with a $104k scholly and only had a 168 / 3.45.
Well let's not get ahead of ourselves. We haven't been rejected yet... LSN isn't particularly encouraging though. That's a sweet scholly for your friend!
True. Best of luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

afische3

New

Post by afische3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:41 am

In PT, 3.2/169, already work in DC. Not sure how much they consider whether you are already working in DC but Im sure it may be a factor for some people.

sk08

New

Post by sk08 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:28 am

afische3 wrote:In PT, 3.2/169, already work in DC. Not sure how much they consider whether you are already working in DC but Im sure it may be a factor for some people.

This is complete speculation, but I think having a job in DC is important for this year. If you look at some of the surprising rejections, they were in undergrad or did not work in DC. With the class size being dropped to 50 students, they may need assurance that those 50 will stay in the part time program, unlike past years when people did part time and then transferred to full time. Again, this is [hopeful] speculation; I haven't talked to admissions about this.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 am

sk08 wrote:
afische3 wrote:In PT, 3.2/169, already work in DC. Not sure how much they consider whether you are already working in DC but Im sure it may be a factor for some people.

This is complete speculation, but I think having a job in DC is important for this year. If you look at some of the surprising rejections, they were in undergrad or did not work in DC. With the class size being dropped to 50 students, they may need assurance that those 50 will stay in the part time program, unlike past years when people did part time and then transferred to full time. Again, this is [hopeful] speculation; I haven't talked to admissions about this.
Wow interesting. I was accepted with a 163/3.96 and do not have a job in D.C. Is the class really only 50 students?

sk08

New

Post by sk08 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:41 am

tram988 wrote:
sk08 wrote:

Wow interesting. I was accepted with a 163/3.96 and do not have a job in D.C. Is the class really only 50 students?

Yes, someone spoke to admissions about the class size. I think traditionally it is 125-150 students. Job in DC may be important but not neccessary for admissions; they also are trying to raise their numbers b/c of the ranking decline last year which your GPA would certainly do for them :) So maybe it's a combination of getting genuine PT students and raising numbers? At this point, who knows, but its certainly nervewracking...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”