deferring acceptances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rocketman

deferring acceptances

Postby rocketman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:04 pm

how does deferring an acceptance work? i am assuming you can pay a fee and the school will reserve your acceptance for the year after? do all schools have this?

i would like to explore some other options that have come up for me in the past few weeks but at the same time, don't want to be left with nothing if those don't work out.

lawyer879

Re: deferring acceptances

Postby lawyer879 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:31 pm

I believe that most schools take them on a case-by-case basis.

I have never heard of anyone charging a fee to hold your seat but it would not surprise me to see such a thing.

Basically, I think it comes down to having a good reason...

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:10 am

Most schools consider deferrals on a case-by-case basis, contingent on having a good reason. You pay your deposit and reserve a seat for the following year (or 2 if you're doing TFA), and agree not to apply to other schools.

wjnahill

Postby wjnahill » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:15 am

in general, what qualifies as a good reason? What has and has not been successful for people?

Also, are some schools more difficult than other to obtain a deferral from?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:23 am

Typically you need to do it earlier rather than later to have a better shot. Good reasons include interesting 1-2 year job or scholarship/fellowship opportunities, for instance TFA/Americorps, Rhodes Scholarship, that sort of stuff. You might be able to get away with wanting to take a year and do some travel, etc. But to just say you want a deferral may not get you very far. Why do you want one?

And as for the fee, most schools do charge one, but it's a deposit, and it'll eventually be put towards your tuition...

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:28 am

From what I've read, I believe you pay the seat deposit like others have already said...then the following year when you do want to matriculate, you pay the seat deposit again. I also have seen all schools that do accept deferrals say they are considered on a case-by-case basis. Some schools don't consider deferrals at all (I know of at least one off the top of my head, Ole Miss).

Here's a question along the same lines because I'm going to try and defer also...can I accept and defer from two or more different schools? I would be willing to pay the seat deposit at each school and decide at a later date over the course of the year which school I'd like to attend.

I don't see a downside for the schools...they get my seat deposit and don't lose a seat because I'll obviously withdraw before the next school year started. Anybody know?

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am

im_blue wrote:Most schools consider deferrals on a case-by-case basis, contingent on having a good reason. You pay your deposit and reserve a seat for the following year (or 2 if you're doing TFA), and agree not to apply to other schools.

Depends, mine is non-binding.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:52 am

I was under the impression that scholarships cannot be deferred. is this correct or does it depend on the school?

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 am

jayzon wrote:I'm reasonably certain that you sign some sort of agreement at most schools, dictating that you will not enroll in or attend another law school while under deferral.

LSATfromNC wrote:Depends, mine is non-binding.

Seems like I'll just have to ask the specific schools I have in mind and find out since it's not an "across-the-board" policy at all the schools. I'll have to ask about scholarship info also...thanks.

bahama

Postby bahama » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 pm

The downside to the school of allowing you to have multiple seat deposits is it hurts their yield.

I have not heard of any place that allows having multiple deferrals.

Not sure why you would want to, you can only attend one so you have to make a decision.

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:25 pm

bahama wrote:The downside to the school of allowing you to have multiple seat deposits is it hurts their yield.

I have not heard of any place that allows having multiple deferrals.

Not sure why you would want to, you can only attend one so you have to make a decision.

The benefit for me is another year of monitoring the legal markets in the respective regions of the schools. It's like choosing a house, if I don't have to right now, why would I want to? But if I have to...then I have to of course :)

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:05 pm

AlanShore wrote:I was under the impression that scholarships cannot be deferred. is this correct or does it depend on the school?

They couldn't at Wake, I had to go against this years money/applicant pool. Something about it's budgeted by year.

Also, I was actually deposited at a T2 school (aid package covered everything) and withdrew from Wake due to price. When I got a score increase I contacted them (only Wake, not every higher ranked school I got into) and they were nothing but great. During the middle of these discussions I found out my wife was pregnant so I took a deferal at the last minute. The T2 school tried to get me to take a deferal also, so I would have been doubled deffered, but I was 100x more interested in Wake. It's wierd how a few extra points on the LSAT can change the entire spectrum of schools you are looking at.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”